How Eliminate Bootloops After Flashing ROMs on the HTC EVO 3D

Search This thread

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
-DISCLAIMER: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THIS GUIDE CAUSES YOU TO DO. THIS WORKED FOR ME, BUT RESULTS MAY VARY.-
-PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE GUIDE BEFORE FOLLOWING ANY STEPS TO AVOID ANY CONFUSION-

-THIS GUIDE ONLY APPLIES IF YOU ARE ROOTED WITH S-OFF ON HBOOT 1.58-
-IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE ICS OTA UPDATE THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE HBOOT 1.58, UNLESS YOU HAVE DOWNGRADED.-
-IF YOU HAVE DOWNGRADED YOUR BOOTLOADER AND ARE NOT ON HBOOT 1.58, LEAVE THIS PAGE-
-I ALSO RECOMMEND THAT YOU HAVE TWO SEPARATE SD CARDS YOU CAN USE FOR THIS. NO DATA WILL BE DELETED OFF OF EITHER-
-KEEP IN MIND, THAT IF YOU DO THIS, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BOOT BACK INTO YOUR STOCK ICS ROM FROM THE OTA UPDATE-

-YOU WILL ALSO NEED A MICRO SD CARD READER TO PLUG YOUR SD CARD STRAIGHT INTO YOUR COMPUTER-

If you are not rooted, and do not have S-OFF, check out this guide by crimsy. It has all the instructions you need to root and obtain S-OFF. It worked for me.

Now for the fun part. You're positive you're on HBoot 1.58, and you're getting bootloops when you flash roms. The fix is actually quite simple.

First, go to this thread by mpgrimm2

Scroll down until you see a post on the thread by ramjet73. This post contains a list of HBoot downloads. These are all free.

First, find the one that says "PG86IMG_JBear_1.58.5858_hboot_Sprint_ICS.zip". Download that to use as a backup.

Now, we're gonna go by exactly what I did. But I recommend you do your own research on which Hboot is the best for whatever ROM you're trying to flash.

First off, all of these are already S-OFF, so you wont need to redo the wire trick.

Anyway, I downloaded the first one on the list, "PG86IMG_1.40-hboot.zip".
Now, to install this, you're pretty much gonna trick your phone into "updating" to it.
To do this, just download the HBoot you've chosen to be the best for you (in my case it was the first one on the list, 1.4).
Now just rename that file to "PG86IMG" without quotation marks.
Next, copy it to the root of your SD card.

The rest takes place on your phone. Power off your phone, and boot into the bootloader (Hold volume down + power button).
If you've done the previous steps correctly, your bootloader should detect the HBoot you downloaded, and ask if you want to update.
Volume up= Yes
Volume down = No
If you're positive about this, then choose "Yes".
It should update and tell you to reboot.

This is where I ran into a problem. I was still running stock ICS from the OTA update, and I got stuck in a bootloop. My phone would freeze at the the Sprint animation, turn off, and repeat. I thought I could just disregard it, boot into recovery, and flash my new ROM. But every time I booted into the bootloader all I could do was either update or reboot. This is where that micro SD card reader comes in. Just pop your SD card into your computer, and remove the HBoot you downloaded. Then put your SD card back in your phone and try rebooting into the bootloader again.

If it boots into your bootloader as normal, then that should be it. You should be on whatever HBoot version you chose to download (this worked for me with 1.4)

Now try flashing that ROM again and let me know how it goes.

Keep in mind, different ROMS may have different results. You may still need to flash certain kernals or wipe specific partitions as instructed by the developer of the ROM you want to flash.

Feedback is appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Brian706

Oct 29, 2012
I prefer to put the PG86IMG file on my sd card while booted up normally. Then reboot straight into recovery bypassing the hboot screen. Wipe, flash rom then boot into bootloader and run the update. This prevents getting bootloops and keeps you from having to use the computer to rename or remove the file. Saves you some work! ;)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you are S-OFF you can also flash a different bootloader from fastboot on a PC avoiding the need to deal with the PG86IMG.zip file at all, then boot directly into recovery from the new bootloader. See my post here for alternative methods to flash a new bootloader when S-OFF, including multiple ways to delete the the PG86IMG.zip file when flashing one from the current bootloader.

ramjet73

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
I believe this is the fastest way to flash a different hboot
If you look at the guide I linked in my previous post which has similar instructions that I took from the unlimited.io website and tested, you can do this fastboot sequence to clear cache, flash a different bootloader, then reboot back to your current ROM:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip new_hboot.zip
fastboot reboot
The hboot filename can be anything you want, and doesn't necessarily have to be "PG86IMG.zip" using this method.

If you need to flash another ROM before the reboot or do something else in recovery, you can issue the "fastboot boot recovery.img" command instead of "fastboot reboot" to go directly to your custom recovery since there is no "fastboot reboot-recovery" command.

ramjet73

Last edited:

Astrikz

Mar 27, 2012
The hboot filename can be anything you want, and doesn't necessarily have to be "PG86IMG.zip" using this method.

I know.. & because this thread is about bootloaders I thought that's how I would explain myself. Instead of going into more detail & say how you can flash .img files through that process....

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
I know.. & because this thread is about bootloaders I thought that's how I would explain myself. Instead of going into more detail & say how you can flash .img files through that process....
That's fine.

For clarification, the command I suggested to get back to recovery (fastboot boot recovery.img) is not flashing it, only booting it directly to avoid having to go to the bootloader first to get to recovery.

ramjet73

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
Guys, I made this guide because it seemed like the most basic and simple way to do it. I speak from experience when I say that the command prompt can be a little intimidating. It can be get pretty nerve wrecking when you dont have a back up phone and you feel like you have lots of room for error and you're terrified you might brick your device. This guide doesn't use any sort of external commands, making it seem a lot less manual. I wasn't trying to show people the fastest way. Just the easiest, less nerve wrecking way.

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Guys, I made this guide because it seemed like the most basic and simple way to do it. I speak from experience when I say that the command prompt can be a little intimidating. It can be get pretty nerve wrecking when you dont have a back up phone and you feel like you have lots of room for error and you're terrified you might brick your device. This guide doesn't use any sort of external commands, making it seem a lot less manual. I wasn't trying to show people the fastest way. Just the easiest, less nerve wrecking way.
The guide I linked in post #3 of this thread provides alternatives for flashing a different bootloader and for deleting the PG86IMG.zip file if you choose that method. Some people are very comfortable with the fastboot commands and that method saves having to worry about deleting the PG86IMG.zip. It's always good to have alternatives because one size never fits all.

You asked for feedback in the OP and we're providing that. ;)

ramjet73

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
The guide I linked in post #3 of this thread provides alternatives for flashing a different bootloader and for deleting the PG86IMG.zip file if you choose that method. Some people are very comfortable with the fastboot commands and that method saves having to worry about deleting the PG86IMG.zip. It's always good to have alternatives because one size never fits all.

You asked for feedback in the OP and we're providing that. ;)

ramjet73

Feedback - Information about reactions to a product, a person's performance of a task, etc., used as a basis for improvement.

You were promoting your own threads, not giving feedback. I have to thank you for the post that helped in making this guide, but your alternate methods aren't really necessary. I'm not sure how to say that without sounding rude or hostile, but Im sure you get my point.

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
You were promoting your own threads, not giving feedback. I have to thank you for the post that helped in making this guide, but your alternate methods aren't really necessary. I'm not sure how to say that without sounding rude or hostile, but Im sure you get my point.
OK, and if you want to be blunt my point was that your guide wasn't really necessary, and I think that's feedback on your "product", since the content was already covered in the guide I setup for people that want to change bootloaders when S-OFF, but if people prefer to use your version in the OP of this thread that's fine with me.

As I already stated, alternatives are good. ;)

ramjet73

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
OK, and if you want to be blunt my point was that your guide wasn't really necessary, and I think that's feedback on your "product", since the content was already covered in the guide I setup for people that want to change bootloaders when S-OFF, but if people prefer to use your version in the OP of this thread that's fine with me.

As I already stated, alternatives are good. ;)

ramjet73

Ouch. That was uncalled for. To far bro. This is just a guide trying to help people. Not a place to get all ugly. Lol.

tato4all

Jul 8, 2012
Dear sir
i have the same problem my phone get stuck on white htc screen
unrooted
s-on
relocked
hboot 1.5.0007

so can any one help me how to solve this problem

thanks

i also tried factory reset and to setup ICS ruu but it got stop when it try to reboot boat-loader and still the same problem
when trying to flash any thing recovery or boot failed and trying to put rom as pg86img also failed any one help me please this phone part of my daily life:crying::crying::crying:

Brian706

Oct 29, 2012
The problem with s-on is that the kernel does not flash when you flash a rom. That is why it won't boot.

To fix the issue after flashing a rom, you need to pull the boot.img from the rom.zip and use fastboot to flash it.
fastboot flash boot boot.img

There are two options when you are s-on and flashing roms to flash the kernel with the rom and avoid bootloop.
The no pc method:
The easiest method is to use 4ext recovery with smart flash enabled. That will allow you to flash roms and kernel and avoid bootloop.

The PC method:
Keep a recovery.img in your fastboot directory. When you want to flash a rom, boot your recovery into the phones memory which allows you to flash the kernel with the rom.

You use: fastboot boot recovery.img

Then just install the rom once booted into recovery. While it seems the same, Booting into recovery using fastboot is different and will allow the kernel to flash.