Search This thread

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Hi, my question is quite simple but I can't figure it out by myself...
First thing first, what is the difference between Firmware and Kernel ?
Then, what are, Stock ,Faux, Tamcore, Bricked kernels ? I keep seeing those names poping in every thread, but I never saw an explicit explanation about what they are...

complete device

Hardware + firmware (bootloader, radio etc etc) + recovery (stock htc one or custom - cwm, 4EXT) + rom (system(all system apps)+data (all your user apps) + boot (kernel- main thing responsible for booting the phone))

Now faux kernel - made by faux,
Bricked kernel- made by show-p,
Tamcore the same (Tamcore is for AOSP roms.. Not for sense roms)

stock kernel- stock htc one

noob here, how to install roms? i was able to root and s-off my phone thru ganeshp guide thread. i already scouted vipers by team venom, what i really want to have that's why i root my phone are:sense 4 or above, beats audio, bravia engine, anything cool to look :)

For installing roms go to post #2 present in first Page of this thread.. And completely follow the guide for flashing 3.33 and installing ARHD thread (post #2 only)

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

Teuba

Dec 1, 2009
complete device

Hardware + firmware (bootloader, radio etc etc) + recovery (stock htc one or custom - cwm, 4EXT) + rom (system(all system apps)+data (all your user apps) + boot (kernel- main thing responsible for booting the phone))

Now faux kernel - made by faux,
Bricked kernel- made by show-p,
Tamcore the same (Tamcore is for AOSP roms.. Not for sense roms)

stock kernel- stock htc one

Ok, so if I understood, kernel is rom specific (if I install a new rom, wiping and so on, it changes). What are the advantages of flashing a non-stock kernel ? Performances ? And which is the "best" one ?

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Ok, so if I understood, kernel is rom specific (if I install a new rom, wiping and so on, it changes). What are the advantages of flashing a non-stock kernel ? Performances ? And which is the "best" one ?

non stock kernel's claims to have better battery and performances ...and the best of them ....has to be determined by yourself by trying what all available ...each for few days ..and you decide what is the best for you

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Hi,

I have a HTC Sensation running stock ICS 4.0.3 updated OTA. I just hate the new system font Roboto on ICS and want to change it. I'm totally ignorant about Rooting and its possibilities and would rather have just the font changed and revert to unrooted state. Please tell me which is the easiest and most risk-free way to do that. As I said, all I want to do is change my system font from Roboto to one of my choice (I already have a few .ttf font files ready). Please advise, if possible, a little descriptively as I don't understand most of the technical terms.

Thanks

for font changing there are apps but they requires root ...

so for YOU to ROOT ..there are two ways to do it

1.HTC-DEV unlocked bootloader and then my ONE CLICK ROOT TOOL (guide link in my signature)

pros: easiest way ..to achieve ROOT

cons: HTC-DEV unlock will wipe your phone data completely ..so you might lose all app data

2.SOFF without HTC-DEV and ONE CLICK ROOT (for both ..guide link in my signature)

pros: not a spec of data will be lost

cons: bit lengthy/tricky process..depends on your timing of wire trick ..will wipe sdcard completely in the process so you need to backup your sdcard initially (or use a spare sdcard)...and requires loads of patience during wire trick

now decide :D

kgs1992

May 8, 2012
Bangalore
Hi,

I have a HTC Sensation running stock ICS 4.0.3 updated OTA. I just hate the new system font Roboto on ICS and want to change it. I'm totally ignorant about Rooting and its possibilities and would rather have just the font changed and revert to unrooted state. Please tell me which is the easiest and most risk-free way to do that. As I said, all I want to do is change my system font from Roboto to one of my choice (I already have a few .ttf font files ready). Please advise, if possible, a little descriptively as I don't understand most of the technical terms.

Thanks

Temp root *MAY* be enough to chmod for the files you need to replace in /system/fonts
You'll need to use dab for that though since you can't use the device while it is temp rooted..

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with beats audio

Last edited:

kapla011

Aug 4, 2012
Hi guys,
I've got a little annoying problem when trying Custom ROMs as I'm never able to select a network manually. I always get the error msg "error while searching for networks". As I live near the German border, my Sensation chooses German T-Mobile, so I'm roaming.

My HTC Sensation is rooted, S-Off and unlocked. I've still got the stock kernel. I tried reflashing, wiping everything, trying different radios/ril, APN is correct, ... I'm starting to frustrate. I googled for 3 days, searched here in XDA and couldn't find an answer.

For now, I have to stay with my stock ROM, where I selecting network works...

It would be really nice if anyone could help me...

adoublely

Jul 31, 2012
Ive looked about and cant find an answer will i need to s off to get sixaxis and titanium backup any help will b appreciated

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Ive looked about and cant find an answer will i need to s off to get sixaxis and titanium backup any help will b appreciated

you need root for both apps...and for root either HTC-DEV unlock or SOFF is required

HTC-DEV unlock wipes phone data comletely ..so you might/will lose app data
and SOFF without HTC-DEV is tiring/tricky and requires patience :) (guide link in my signature)

after doing any of the either ..then you need to do ROOT ..for that you can use the one click root tool (link in my signature)

Reactions: undercover

icanttinkofaname

Feb 18, 2012
Dublin
OnePlus 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
I seem to be hemorrhaging my SD card space to the android/data folder. I recently upgraded to a 32gig card, so I have plenty of space, but I notice I'm loosing a moderate amount of megabytes at a slow but steady rate. I didn't know where the extra data was coming from until I checked folder sizes via system tuner. the android/data folder is now 1.42GB in size! WTF?! I never had this issue on my old 16gig card. Anyone know how I can stop this random expansion of data that's sucking up my SD card space?

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
I seem to be hemorrhaging my SD card space to the android/data folder. I recently upgraded to a 32gig card, so I have plenty of space, but I notice I'm loosing a moderate amount of megabytes at a slow but steady rate. I didn't know where the extra data was coming from until I checked folder sizes via system tuner. the android/data folder is now 1.42GB in size! WTF?! I never had this issue on my old 16gig card. Anyone know how I can stop this random expansion of data that's sucking up my SD card space?

android data folder contains apps sdcard memory ..if you got some big games then their memory will be stored there and loaded to cache when you open them ..so be careful while deleting those stuff

icanttinkofaname

Feb 18, 2012
Dublin
OnePlus 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
I had a feeling that was the issue. But I still don't remember this much space bein consumed on my old SD card. And I fresh installed the latest viper ROM too, so I haven't installed as many apps either (I used the upgrade as an excuse to cull some apps that I don't use)

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
I had a feeling that was the issue. But I still don't remember this much space bein consumed on my old SD card. And I fresh installed the latest viper ROM too, so I haven't installed as many apps either (I used the upgrade as an excuse to cull some apps that I don't use)

then check each folder inside that folder then ..in my case i have asphalt 7 and blood and glory ..so for them these is an obb folder and it occupies 1.4 GB (1.3 GB for asphalt and 100 MB for B&G)

EDIT: i just checked my android/data folder and it is occupying 370MB (for 95+ apps) that means something is occupying insane amount of space ..find it/check it and delete it

Last edited:
Reactions: icanttinkofaname

malybru

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 16, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
then check each folder inside that folder then ..in my case i have asphalt 7 and blood and glory ..so for them these is an obb folder and it occupies 1.4 GB (1.3 GB for asphalt and 100 MB for B&G)

EDIT: i just checked my android/data folder and it is occupying 370MB (for 95+ apps) that means something is occupying insane amount of space ..find it/check it and delete it

Hi

Try using Solid Explorer
It will give you all the detail of the large files etc
My Android /data seems to be full of cache_vts files,whatever they may be :confused:

:)

Reactions: icanttinkofaname

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Go into settings, storage, make more storage, HTC bla bla. There will be crap loads of waste data. You can clear it but beware, in my case it deleted all my music too somehow. Fix was to either reflash the Rom or change to another one completely, can't remember exactly .

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

_azeroth_

Feb 9, 2012
Manila
I just rooted my phone lately, and still reading posts about installing roms, but htc software update prompted. Currentlly im on ics 4.0.3 and sense 3.6 and software no. 3.32.707.10. Now the update is for updated 4.0 and sense 3.6 and 3.33.xxx.xx. should i install the update? If yes, what about flashing roms?, should i start flashing roms since im already at 3.33, i mean i should skip the part where ganeshp instructed me to make my device 3.33 and then install arhd? Please help me guys, noob here.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda app-developers app

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
I just rooted my phone lately, and still reading posts about installing roms, but htc software update prompted. Currentlly im on ics 4.0.3 and sense 3.6 and software no. 3.32.707.10. Now the update is for updated 4.0 and sense 3.6 and 3.33.xxx.xx. should i install the update? If yes, what about flashing roms?, should i start flashing roms since im already at 3.33, i mean i should skip the part where ganeshp instructed me to make my device 3.33 and then install arhd? Please help me guys, noob here.

You did soff and then root?
But stayed on stock right?
Then after the update you can skip the firmware update part.. And can just flash recovery and ARHD rom if you want to

Sent from my pyramid using blazing fast sonic waves

Reactions: _azeroth_

_azeroth_

Feb 9, 2012
Manila
Ok. Your.very helpful. Thank you very much. Will read before i try to flash arhd. Is it eeally required to fladh arhd? :)

hojat2121

Dec 22, 2010
yazd
hi guys!
would u plz tell me where can i download an official 2.3 arabic rom for my sensation xe?
i have searched a lot but no result!
thanks!

icanttinkofaname

Feb 18, 2012
Dublin
OnePlus 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Hi

Try using Solid Explorer
It will give you all the detail of the large files etc
My Android /data seems to be full of cache_vts files,whatever they may be :confused:

:)

Thanks for the help guys. I found out it was Google play music storing temp versions of my online music into the android/data folder. I deleted all the music and I've got my space back. Also changed settings so it doesn't store music locally....

sp_kimji

Aug 5, 2012
Question about.. ROM ELEGANCIA sense4_2.6.0

Have someone can use premium navigation (htc locations) with rom ELEGANCIA sense4_2.6.0 or not?

_azeroth_

Feb 9, 2012
Manila
1. sir ganeshp, or anybody who could help me again please. last time I S-Off and Root my phone but stay on the stock ROM(android 4.0, sense 3.6, software number 3.32.xxx.xx) as i was still reading guides on how to flash software 3.33.xxx.xx and ROM's. Then apparently, a official HTC update came in from HTC that will contain updated android 4.0, sense 3.6 and software number 3.33.xxx.xx. I asked here if its OK to update since it would be beneficial to me because it will make my life easier since it is an official 3.33.xxx.xx so that the only thing i will do is to learn how to flash ROM's. The problem is here, before i loaded the update I'm using root basic check and it displays that i have root access and even if i restart my phone it still says that i have root access. Now i loaded HTC's official update then after completion and rebooting my phone, i checked root basic check and then it says it has no access to root.
Isolations done to solve my problem but to no avail:
a. Restart my phone, then check.
b. Back up then install Root basic Check application then restart.
c. I checked superuser app but then it still does not list root basic check and on the log it shows that root basic check was denied.

2. After rooting then updating my applications in the play store I saw an application named SUPERUSER, i updated it, even though it did not downloaded it before, seems like a usable and dependable app, but is it safe to use? i mean is it not a form of virus?

hope u guys can still help me:)

Top Liked Posts