What does 'dns robustness' mean on build 16664?

Search This thread

Milo333milo

May 4, 2014
Hi,

So, since Chromecast updated to 16664 i have been unable to use it in conjunction with Unblock-Us VPN service. This is only the case when attempting to play through chromecast, all other devices work as expected. I have tried routing my primary AP router to Unblock-Us DNS servers and i have also set up a dd-wrt router as a repeater and applied all necessary measures to preroute chromecast dns requests or simply block its dns requests. None od this has worked unfortunately.

The build update for 16664 stated 'dns robustness' which i figure is why this has happened. Does anyone know what this mean? Perhaps, if we knew this info we could figure out a work around.

hunnymonster

Jan 8, 2008
Usually robustness would mean some sort of protection for it... Like perhaps routing the DNS requests over some sort of secure tunnel/connection so they're invisible to any local DNS caching or rewriting... Someone with Wireshark should be able to see exactly what is (or isn't) happening quite easily though.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
I know this won't be very helpful at all, but I got my Chromecast today and it works just fine with my unblock-us account. I have the unblock-us dns servers set in my router (using Tomato rather than dd-wrt) and I was able to switch regions seamlessly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium HD app

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
I checked this latest build to see if it is still necessary to block or redirect Google DNS lookups to use another DNS, and it is. No change there, at least from Canada (UK/Europe firmware may be different).

Last edited:

ahmedsalah83

Apr 22, 2013
netflix was not working with build 16664, hulu plus is fine. i had to redirect google DNS to a non existent IP address to get netflix to work. now both are running fine. i'm using adfreetime DNS on my Linksys router.