[APP][UPDATE 9.10.2014] Sprocket - Watch Faces, SMS/MMS,File Transfer, Remote Install

Search This thread

East2West

Dec 1, 2011
I bought a gear recently and was sad to see a lack of apps tailored specifically for it so I made one of my own!

Sprocket

Features:

1. Native SMS/MMS functionality.
    • View/Send SMS conversations
    • View MMS

2. File Transfer
    • Send a file from the phone and it will automatically be saved in Internal Storage in the GalaxySMS directory and opened on the Gear from the default handling app
  3. Remote Application Install
    • Allows you to install apps on the gear that are installed on your phone.
    • *Note does not work for paid apps it seems. At least on my Moto X.

Installation
  • Install the apk on both the phone and the gear and you will be good to go. The application will be automatically run on startup, but needs to be started initially once first installed on both the phone and gear.
  • Its a good idea to have bluetooth already turned on when initially starting the app.
  • Install on Phone first, select device
  • Install on gear next, select device

Support
This app was written specifically on my Moto X so there may or may not be issues with other phones. Please send me a logcat and I'll see what I can do.

Update 7.29.2014
Hello everyone!

I've been working many hours on this release and have made several improvements.

ChangeLog

1. Better App Stability
    • System runs in the foreground now so it is less likely to be killed
  2. Improved Connection Speeds
    • Increased buffer size to allow faster transfers
  3. New Notifications For Texts
    • This is the one I'm most excited about. I took some inspiration from the new Android Wear Watches to create custom notifications for our beloved gear.

Installation

Install the update on both the Gear and the Phone. If you already have sprocket installed on your gear you can update it with the new version v1.1 attached to the first post using Remote Install. To enable notifications click "Enable SMS Notifications" on the Phone version and follow the prompts.

Right now the app supports all notifications for SMS, but if you would like to preview notifications across the entire device you may download a developer key available on the play store. It will unlock all other notifications (including ongoing and button control!) from the device and will help continue development from my end to give you new features to make our device more useful. A preview of these notifications below:

Install Developer Key*

*The developer key only needs to be installed on the phone

I'll be going through the thread to address any issues you have come across. Thank you all for the feedback

Update 7.31.2014
Hello everyone!

I have a new version available to address some of the issues in the thread as well as to add some new features.

Download

• Whitelist Applications
    • Go to settings/allowed notifications and uncheck the applications you don't want notifications for
    [*]Local Application Updates
    • Updates will be checked on the phone when the application is started. You can also check by going to menu/check for update on your phone
    [*]Crash/Log Reporting
    • When the application crashes, you will be presented with a dialog to send the crash report to me for analysis. This will help resolve issues on different devices.
    [*]Clear Phone Notifications From Gear
    • When you hit clear on the notification screen on your gear, notifications will be cleared on your phone
    [*]Resend Files If Not Connect To Gear at Transfer Time
    • Fixes an issue when you try to send a file when the gear is not connected. The file will send as soon as device is reconnected
    [*]Crash Fixes
    • Fix crash for some ongoing notifications

Update 8.7.2014
Hello! Thanks for your feedback and crash logs. I've pushed out an update that should take care of the ones I've seen so far with the Nexus 5 crashes and one's when clicking on a conversation on the gear and the contact app is not installed. Let me know if it solves the issues.

Sprocket 1.3b

Thanks,
East2West

Update 8.9.2014
Hey Everyone!

I was on vacation last week, so I only had time to push some incremental updates for some bug fixes, but I'm back now and have some new features!

• New UI for bringing up sms messages and notifications
  • New Media Controller
    • Works with any media player that responds to media button events.
    • *Developer Key Needed
  • Clock On Notification Screen
  • Stability Fixes

Screenshots

Update 8.9.2014
New Update.

• Connection Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where server would not connect on initial app launch
    • Try and reconnect to server on bluetooth toggle
  • New Settings Menu
    • Allows Muting of Notifications. 3 Settings
      • Sound On Symbol - Notifications will vibrate and turn on screen and play the notification sound
      • Vibrate On Symbol - Notifications will only vibrate and not turn on screen
      • Mute Symbol - Notifications will be silent

Update 8.11.2014
Another Update!

• Extended Notification Detail
    • Click on flashing icon to expand
  • New SMS/MMS Theme
  • Improved MMS image quality
  • Media Controller Now Works With Pandora

Update 8.21.2014
  1. Fixed notification buttons not fitting
    • Items that do not fit go on to the next row
  2. Added reply button in sms notifications
    • Will take you to SMS Threads
  3. Notification splitting option in settings
    • Updates to notifications usually replace the last notification in android. This will keep them separate so you can see how it changed over time. Excludes ongoing notifications
  4. Faster connection speeds
  5. Bluetooth reset on disconnection
    • Bluetooth on the gear will reset if the connection is dropped to improve speeds
  6. Support for large images like sms/screenshots
    • Images from sms and other notifications will show in the main view
  7. Added request timeouts
    • Notifications will not be sent to the gear after 15 minutes of being disconnected
  8. Fixed crash when sms is received on the phone and bluetooth is off
  9. Fix duplicate notifications such as email and google music and calendar coming in more than once
For others not able to connect to the gear after upgrading from version 1.3. It may be necessary to upgrade the watch apk manually as the UUID for the bluetooth service has changed and might not be recognized until upgrading the gear to 1.5

Update 8.24.2014
Hello! Another update..

1. Widget Support!
    • Swipe left from main menu
    • Long press to change widget
    • Can also activate by clicking notification clock at the top
    • For both free and developer versions
  2. Out of Memory Crash Fixed
    • Phone memory was greedy before. Should stay in memory much longer without crashing
  3. Removed "Unable to connect" popup from phone
    • Will still show on the gear

Update 9.10.2014
Hey folks!

Something new...

1. Support for Watch Faces
    • Basic support for themes like watchstyler. This version supports analog clocks only.
    • To change theme replace BG_PART.png, FRAME_PART.png, HOUR_PART.png, SEC_PART.png, MIN_PART.png of your favorite watch styler theme
    • Themes files are located in /sdcard/SprocketWatchThemes/defaultTheme. The only supported files are those included in the folder
  2. Fix sms conversation not updating while inside the conversation

*Credit to Gear Minimum 360 theme over at gearfaces.com for the included theme

Attachments

• Sprocket_1.8a.apk
    680.1 KB · Views: 638
  • Sprocket_1.9.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 673
  • Sprocket_1.9a.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 3,896
Last edited:

mishko

Apr 27, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
Nice and useful app! But I miss a notification which tells you when a file has been sent or an remote installation has been made.

lockart

Dec 3, 2013
You are a genuis!!! Works... having issues with transferring files. My screen goes black and sits in idle... but who cares... as long as I can receive and reply to text messages I'm good. GOOD JOB!!!! Can you add reply to emails?

Last edited:

voredroid

Sep 2, 2010
Tempe, Az
Nexus 5 ... Remote install works.. file share works.. sms does not. keeps crashing everytime i select a contact.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cyberone3

Dec 8, 2008
agreed only think lacking is notification right now i leave gear manager for notification then go to sprocket for the reply would like one app for all

jjr3211

Oct 21, 2009
ohio
I like it works pretty good on my note 3

Sent from my SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

simonsayz31

May 29, 2008
Works great on ATT Note 2 with custom rom. Really like how the contact images get populated.

+1 on getting notifications. Would make the app wonderful! :good:

m.klinge

Jun 16, 2008
So any chance the send sms will show up in the sms app as well? :)

//M

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

m.klinge

Jun 16, 2008
You're talking about when you send from the Gear App it will also show on your phone? If so, it works for me. Shows up on my phone what I have sent through the Gear.

Interesting! So if you send a sms to yourself from the gear it will be displayed twice on your phone (one as send and one as received)? Might I ask which sms you use? :)

//M

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Really cool app, looking forward to next release. I can see and interact with the sms on the gear, but I can't seem to send files from my Note 3. It's also paired with the galaxy gear manager, does that need to be off? Thanks again.

Chris

EDIT: I was wrong above, it did transfer the files, I just didn't see them at first. I also installed some apps via Sprocket. Now that I have Google voice function working offline, the SMS function is really nice. I can practically hold a SMS conversation quickly on my watch. I just need to make the little voice button on the keyboard bigger...lol. But once you hit it, the Voice Icon is much bigger and easy to continue the replies. For such a small program, it really is very capable.

Last edited:

lockart

Dec 3, 2013
Updates

Like I indicated in my earlier post. "I love this app." It's the only app I've found that allow SMS replies without the hassle. "It feels good swiping a reply from my watch." Since I've had it here are the bugs.

1. When I send a text from my phone my watch vibrates.
2. Occasionally looses Bluetooth connection. (will not connect to server must restart phone/watch)
3. About a 3-5 sec delay to start the app

Also I"m using Note 3. Otherwise this app is the BOMB! It doesn't use much battery. Resolve the bugs and this will be me a must have app for the Gear.

Last edited:

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Like I indicated in my earlier post. "I love this app." It's the only app I've found that allow SMS replies without the hassle. "It feels good swiping a reply from my watch." Since I've had it here are the bugs.

1. When I send a text from my phone my watch vibrates.
2. Occasionally looses Bluetooth connection. (will not connect to server must restart phone/watch)
3. About a 3-5 sec delay to start the app

Also I"m using Note 3. Otherwise this app is the BOMB! It doesn't use much battery. Resolve the bugs and this will be me a must have app for the Gear.

I agree! I think people overlook Sprocket...It's really basic, but the few things it does are HUGE. It's the best for replying to SMS, I even shut off the Gear Manager notificatiion for SMS. And it's just too easy to install an app or transfer a file. I think this is my favorite app for the Gear. Thanks and look forward to your work.

Chris

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought a gear recently and was sad to see a lack of apps tailored specifically for it so I made one of my own!

Sprocket

Features:

1. Native SMS/MMS functionality.
      • View/Send SMS conversations
      • View MMS

2. File Transfer
      • Send a file from the phone and it will automatically be saved in Internal Storage in the GalaxySMS directory and opened on the Gear from the default handling app
    3. Remote Application Install
      • Allows you to install apps on the gear that are installed on your phone.
      • *Note does not work for paid apps it seems. At least on my Moto X.

Installation
    • Install the apk on both the phone and the gear and you will be good to go. The application will be automatically run on startup, but needs to be started initially once first installed on both the phone and gear.
    • Its a good idea to have bluetooth already turned on when initially starting the app.
    • Install on Phone first, select device
    • Install on gear next, select device

Support
    This app was written specifically on my Moto X so there may or may not be issues with other phones. Please send me a logcat and I'll see what I can do.

Update 7.29.2014
    Hello everyone!

I've been working many hours on this release and have made several improvements.

ChangeLog

1. Better App Stability
      • System runs in the foreground now so it is less likely to be killed
    2. Improved Connection Speeds
      • Increased buffer size to allow faster transfers
    3. New Notifications For Texts
      • This is the one I'm most excited about. I took some inspiration from the new Android Wear Watches to create custom notifications for our beloved gear.

Installation

Install the update on both the Gear and the Phone. If you already have sprocket installed on your gear you can update it with the new version v1.1 attached to the first post using Remote Install. To enable notifications click "Enable SMS Notifications" on the Phone version and follow the prompts.

Right now the app supports all notifications for SMS, but if you would like to preview notifications across the entire device you may download a developer key available on the play store. It will unlock all other notifications (including ongoing and button control!) from the device and will help continue development from my end to give you new features to make our device more useful. A preview of these notifications below:

Install Developer Key*

*The developer key only needs to be installed on the phone

I'll be going through the thread to address any issues you have come across. Thank you all for the feedback

Update 7.31.2014
    Hello everyone!

I have a new version available to address some of the issues in the thread as well as to add some new features.

Download

• Whitelist Applications
      • Go to settings/allowed notifications and uncheck the applications you don't want notifications for
      [*]Local Application Updates
      • Updates will be checked on the phone when the application is started. You can also check by going to menu/check for update on your phone
      [*]Crash/Log Reporting
      • When the application crashes, you will be presented with a dialog to send the crash report to me for analysis. This will help resolve issues on different devices.
      [*]Clear Phone Notifications From Gear
      • When you hit clear on the notification screen on your gear, notifications will be cleared on your phone
      [*]Resend Files If Not Connect To Gear at Transfer Time
      • Fixes an issue when you try to send a file when the gear is not connected. The file will send as soon as device is reconnected
      [*]Crash Fixes
      • Fix crash for some ongoing notifications

Update 8.7.2014
    Hello! Thanks for your feedback and crash logs. I've pushed out an update that should take care of the ones I've seen so far with the Nexus 5 crashes and one's when clicking on a conversation on the gear and the contact app is not installed. Let me know if it solves the issues.

Sprocket 1.3b

Thanks,
    East2West

Update 8.9.2014
    Hey Everyone!

I was on vacation last week, so I only had time to push some incremental updates for some bug fixes, but I'm back now and have some new features!

• New UI for bringing up sms messages and notifications
    • New Media Controller
      • Works with any media player that responds to media button events.
      • *Developer Key Needed
    • Clock On Notification Screen
    • Stability Fixes

Screenshots

Update 8.9.2014
    New Update.

• Connection Fixes
      • Fixed an issue where server would not connect on initial app launch
      • Try and reconnect to server on bluetooth toggle
    • New Settings Menu
      • Allows Muting of Notifications. 3 Settings
        • Sound On Symbol - Notifications will vibrate and turn on screen and play the notification sound
        • Vibrate On Symbol - Notifications will only vibrate and not turn on screen
        • Mute Symbol - Notifications will be silent

Update 8.11.2014
    Another Update!

• Extended Notification Detail
      • Click on flashing icon to expand
    • New SMS/MMS Theme
    • Improved MMS image quality
    • Media Controller Now Works With Pandora

Update 8.21.2014
    1. Fixed notification buttons not fitting
      • Items that do not fit go on to the next row
    2. Added reply button in sms notifications
      • Will take you to SMS Threads
    3. Notification splitting option in settings
      • Updates to notifications usually replace the last notification in android. This will keep them separate so you can see how it changed over time. Excludes ongoing notifications
    4. Faster connection speeds
    5. Bluetooth reset on disconnection
      • Bluetooth on the gear will reset if the connection is dropped to improve speeds
    6. Support for large images like sms/screenshots
      • Images from sms and other notifications will show in the main view
    7. Added request timeouts
      • Notifications will not be sent to the gear after 15 minutes of being disconnected
    8. Fixed crash when sms is received on the phone and bluetooth is off
    9. Fix duplicate notifications such as email and google music and calendar coming in more than once
    For others not able to connect to the gear after upgrading from version 1.3. It may be necessary to upgrade the watch apk manually as the UUID for the bluetooth service has changed and might not be recognized until upgrading the gear to 1.5

Update 8.24.2014
    Hello! Another update..

1. Widget Support!
      • Phone memory was greedy before. Should stay in memory much longer without crashing

Update 9.10.2014
    Hey folks!

Something new...

1. Support for Watch Faces
      • Basic support for themes like watchstyler. This version supports analog clocks only.
      • To change theme replace BG_PART.png, FRAME_PART.png, HOUR_PART.png, SEC_PART.png, MIN_PART.png of your favorite watch styler theme
      • Themes files are located in /sdcard/SprocketWatchThemes/defaultTheme. The only supported files are those included in the folder
    2. Fix sms conversation not updating while inside the conversation

*Credit to Gear Minimum 360 theme over at gearfaces.com for the included theme
    Hey folks,

You've probably noticed a lack of updates in the past month, as I've had to focus my attention on non-android related things. To tie you over till the next major release, I've a preview of some of the work I've been able to do in the past month. Its not a polished release and there will be some bugs; the biggest being multiple notifications for android wear type applications such as hangouts due to the way it updates its notifications.

The following features have been added:

1. Reply functionality to android wear notifications.
    2. Multiple notification pages such as conversation history on android wear supported apps.
    3. Lower memory usage for phone app. Should not crash as often after the app has been running for several days Still need to work on memory management to solve this permanently.
    4. Ability to open notification on the phone. This will act like you clicked the notification from the dropdown bar.

Swipe down from each notification to see multiple pages, reply, and action icons.

Again, this is a preview so please hold off on bug reports on the thread for this version.
    Updated Version

Hello! Another update..

Sprocket 1.8

1. Widget Support!

The app works great and notifications are sent instantly, love that. What I find annoying is that if a notification is not read on your phone (for example mms), the following notifications you get on you watch just display that you have "2 notifications pending" on the pop up notification and none of the newer text is display. Is this also the case with other apps like whatsapp or fb messenger? is this also the case if you buy the developer key? I would like to able to the read new notification text on the pop up even if I haven't read previous notifications. Can you clear this before I spend $5. thanks

In all honesty as the above post
    That's how i would like it to work also

It saves any interaction with the watch at all which is much btter for battery life and easier to use

Thanks

Sorry guys, its up to the discretion of the app on what information to show in the notification. You can get around this by clearing the notifications as you get them and will trigger the app to send separate notifications.

Google is integrating Google Voice into Hangout, can't wait til we can reply to Hangout via Spocket :D

Still working on this! I tried Google Talk support using the aSmack library and had some success. However google doesn't provide chat history. I did get an Android Wear watch recently and have been able to see how to incorporate some of the api into Sprocket. The watch I got also inspired the theme :) Don't worry though as I find i'm using the gear more than the 360. It's actually inspired to me to add some "Wearness" into Sprocket. I'll look into tying the reply's from notifications into Sprocket without having to go through the Sms or Hangout sections of the app.
    Morning Dev.

The 1.8 update solved my issue of the app not able to work or send error log.

But I have a small (humungous in context) request.

Is it possible to have the send file option as a basic command for example "com.east2west.galaxysms.SEND_FILE"

Thus if i use that string in tasker with an extra option of the file i want it to send for example "/sdcard/download/image1.jpg"

This would be a life saver and i can assure you i my be the only one asking you for this.

But there are tones of people wanting this option and as of yet your "SPROCKET" app is our only hope.

Thanks in advance.

You got it!

Intent: "com.east2west.galaxysms.SEND_FILE"
    Extra: "path"

In tasker this would be extra as "path:/sdcard/test.txt"

This should work if sent from the gear or phone. This will also fix the notification shortcut not working on the main screen.