[How To]Replace Galaxy S3 Touchwiz Apps with Pure ICS Apps

Search This thread

Kalm_Traveler

Dec 8, 2011
ha, thought I fubar'd the Calendar after deleting both of them... but luckily after installing the AOSP one in this thread, and copying the SecCalendar_NAmerica and SecCalendarProvider odex and apk files out of my stock nandroid system.tar and a reboot everything is working great :laugh:

Kalm_Traveler

Dec 8, 2011
Out of curiosity, I restored my copy of CM9's Trebuchet Launcher that was backed up on my old HTC Glacier running a CM9 build. Works perfectly on my phone, and brings it even closer to that stock Android feel everyone's clamoring for.

I can't vouch for anyone else's phone, but you can get the launcher here (requires root, includes instructions): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1410674

EDIT: At the end of the thread, there's one or two GT-I9003 users using it as well, it seems.

I'm running Trebuchet now but can't find any menu option to configure it at all.

I just used a file explorer to copy Trebuchet.apk to system\app then installed it and rebooted.

The popup menu on the home screen is Trebuchet, but once you go into settings it looks like the normal Touchwiz menu - very much lacking any way to configure Trebuchet.

Any ideas on what I could do to fix this?:(

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Kept googling and found a solution to the Trebuchet situation here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1701652

Nelsocracy

Dec 19, 2010
I swapped these out earlier today, the calendar and mms.

I'm not sure if it is because of that, but now I am getting all of my google apps crashing, and my google account not synching. I tried restoring the apps from titanium backup but it still isnt' working.

Anybody else have anything like this?

Edit: Ending up flashing the Ultimatum Rom and everything seems good. Might have lost some Rogers stuff but I don't think there was anything good there anyway.

Last edited:

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
Also looking for email app. Also, do you actually have to uninstall these touchwiz apps with Titanium or can you just freeze them?

AndroidFan4

Feb 1, 2012
The OP is now updated with Email and Exchange APK files. You must uninstall both Touchwiz Email and Exchange apps then install the AOSP ones in Root Explorer.

I was able to initially connect with a Hotmail account and sync but later could not. I had no issues with other accounts at all so I'm assuming there are some server issues with Hotmail/MSN/Live and this is temporary. I'll update the OP if the issue persists.

As always, make sure you backup the Touchwiz apps in Titanium Backup before you uninstall so you can always revert back to them.

murdermonkey9000

Apr 15, 2010
tacoma
When replacing the messaging app I noticed that lift to ear to dial doesn't work, and when I tapped the contact
Icon it would hang then FC.
Only thing I've seen 100% safe is the browser and adding the second gallery app while keeping the Samsung one installed.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
Stock camera does NOT work.

This thread shows what AOSP (pure Google ICS) apps are safe to replace Touchwiz Apps with on your Galaxy S III to get that Nexus/CyanogenMod type pure ICS look and feel (see screenshots below). These have been tested with S-Voice and it is still able to open links and commands in the ICS apps.
attachment.php

I am not responsible for any issues or problems with your phone. You are messing with System Apps. I highly recommend creating a Nandroid Backup before starting in case something goes wrong

Requirements

Steps
  1. Download the APK file you want (linked below)
  2. Uninstall the original Touchwiz application through Titanium Backup then reboot your phone. I recommend backing up applications before you uninstall just in case something goes wrong or you want to restore them.
  3. Open Root Explorer and navigate to your download folder under SD Card
  4. Long press on your downloaded APK file, select move and navigate to your System App folder.
  5. Select Mount R/W at the top of Root Explorer and touch Paste.
  6. Long press on the APK and set permissions to rw-r-r-- (See image at end of post.)
  7. Touch the moved APK file and install it. If you get an error message, make sure the Touchwiz Version of the app is uninstalled. Reboot, then try again.

Tested and confirmed to work

• Gallery
    • Update 6/24: Uninstalling the Touchwiz Gallery causes the Touchwiz Camera to force close after taking a picture and touching the thumbnail preview on the bottom right side. Workaround: Close the camera app and open the AOSP Gallery to preview the picture.
  • Browser (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Browser. It is listed as "[BOOKMARKS] Internet 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then proceed to step 5.)
  • Calendar (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Calendar. It is listed as "Calendar 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5)
    • Update 6/25: Make sure you uninstall only the Touchwiz Calendar (you can tell by the icon listed in Titanium Backup.) If you uninstall the one with the AOSP Calendar Icon you may lose Calendar Sync and S-Voice support for the Calendar.
  • Messaging (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz MMS App. It is called "[SMS/MMS Prefs] M... 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5.)
  • Calculator
  • Movie Studio
  • (Update 6/29) Email/Exchange (Must install both AOSP Email and Exchange APK's in order to work. In order to install you Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Email AND Exchange App in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5. I was having issues connecting to Hotmail/MSN/Live account servers but had no issues with all others. May be temporary server issue. More testing needed.)

Tested but had issues

1. Clock/Alarm (Force closes upon reboot)

Still need to download and test
  • Phone/Dialer (isn't supposed to work due to Touchwiz frameworks)
  • Contacts (isn't supposed to work due to Touchwiz frameworks)
  • Camera (I prefer the Touchwiz Camera for the S3 with added features)

Grabbed from the Play Store

Having Issues?
  • Read the OP completely
  • Make sure permissions are set properly on the app you're trying to install. In Root Explorer, long press on the APK you're trying to install and set permissions. It should be set like this:
    attachment.php
  • Make sure the Touchwiz version of the app is uninstalled. Don't uninstall more than you need to (Calendar).
  • Reboot after making changes
  • Restore the original app using Titanium Backup or do a Nandroid restore if all else fails.

These files were pulled from various threads (like this & this) across XDA using the handy search tool. Credit goes to the community for providing instructions and files.

Advantageous

Jun 28, 2012
La Verne, CA
I did as the instructions told me and uninstalled the Touchwiz messaging app via Titanium. Backed it up first though. Once i uninstalled and rebooted as instructed, my phone would not go more than 3 seconds without popping up a "...com.android.com processs could not be opened"

or something along those lines.

Googled it and it said i needed to delete a file named "recovery-from-boot.p" in the /system folder. The file wasnt even there!

So i had to resort to nandroid recovery. Any idea why this happened?

Reactions: markriveranig

Gooch707

Jan 22, 2012
This worked great. I replaced the stock email app (with the horrible black background and large font) with the much nicer stock ICS email. Working perfectly on my Bell Samsung SIII with Exchange. Thanks!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread shows what AOSP (pure Google ICS) apps are safe to replace Touchwiz Apps with on your Galaxy S III to get that Nexus/CyanogenMod type pure ICS look and feel (see screenshots below). These have been tested with S-Voice and it is still able to open links and commands in the ICS apps.
    attachment.php

I am not responsible for any issues or problems with your phone. You are messing with System Apps. I highly recommend creating a Nandroid Backup before starting in case something goes wrong

Requirements

Steps
    1. Download the APK file you want (linked below)
    2. Uninstall the original Touchwiz application through Titanium Backup then reboot your phone. I recommend backing up applications before you uninstall just in case something goes wrong or you want to restore them.
    3. Open Root Explorer and navigate to your download folder under SD Card
    4. Long press on your downloaded APK file, select move and navigate to your System App folder.
    5. Select Mount R/W at the top of Root Explorer and touch Paste.
    6. Long press on the APK and set permissions to rw-r-r-- (See image at end of post.)
    7. Touch the moved APK file and install it. If you get an error message, make sure the Touchwiz Version of the app is uninstalled. Reboot, then try again.

Tested and confirmed to work

• Gallery
      • Update 6/24: Uninstalling the Touchwiz Gallery causes the Touchwiz Camera to force close after taking a picture and touching the thumbnail preview on the bottom right side. Workaround: Close the camera app and open the AOSP Gallery to preview the picture.
    • Browser (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Browser. It is listed as "[BOOKMARKS] Internet 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then proceed to step 5.)
    • Calendar (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Calendar. It is listed as "Calendar 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5)
      • Update 6/25: Make sure you uninstall only the Touchwiz Calendar (you can tell by the icon listed in Titanium Backup.) If you uninstall the one with the AOSP Calendar Icon you may lose Calendar Sync and S-Voice support for the Calendar.
    • Messaging (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz MMS App. It is called "[SMS/MMS Prefs] M... 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5.)
    • Calculator
    • Movie Studio
    • (Update 6/29) Email/Exchange (Must install both AOSP Email and Exchange APK's in order to work. In order to install you Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Email AND Exchange App in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5. I was having issues connecting to Hotmail/MSN/Live account servers but had no issues with all others. May be temporary server issue. More testing needed.)

Tested but had issues

1. Clock/Alarm (Force closes upon reboot)
    2. Camera (Will not work. Thanks naturefreak85 for testing)

Still need to download and test
    • Phone/Dialer (isn't supposed to work due to Touchwiz frameworks)
    • Contacts (isn't supposed to work due to Touchwiz frameworks)

Grabbed from the Play Store

Having Issues?
    • Read the OP completely
    • Make sure permissions are set properly on the app you're trying to install. In Root Explorer, long press on the APK you're trying to install and set permissions. It should be set like this:
      attachment.php
    • Make sure the Touchwiz version of the app is uninstalled. Don't uninstall more than you need to (Calendar).
    • Reboot after making changes
    • Restore the original app using Titanium Backup or do a Nandroid restore if all else fails.

These files were pulled from various threads (like this & this) across XDA using the handy search tool. Credit goes to the community for providing instructions and files.
    So I'm a dummy and deleted my original TouchWiz email.apk and exchange.apk. Does anyone have a copy?

The attached should be able to help you out.
    Stock ICS, Jellybean apps

I compiled a list of Stock ICS, Jellybean apps available in Play store, check my signature.
    I did the calendar swap and my s voice doesn't work for some reason, also doesn't seem to sync with Google

GS3 T-Mobile

Well S-Voice is designed to work with the Samsung Apps so that makes sense. Honestly, with all my previous devices I've always been quick to get AOSP ROM's/Apps on my phone, but I'm thorougly impressed with this phone and its software, replacing most of these with pure ICS apps seems more of a downgrade if you ask me.
    See if this link helps. http://db.tt/BwbgVGf4

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app