[ROM] void. #forever (2.3.4; +howto build CM from src; read notice @ 1st post)

Search This thread

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
[NEW!] For void's development status, read this (+ HOWTO on building CM from source).

Discussion thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1133333 (thanks Nimitmak)

Well, here's a present.

The release had to be anticipated because I can't have anymore the LG P500 I borrowed for testing. So, I haven't had much time to test it yet. I couldn't either add a modules system (which is a shame, I was already targeting something like kang-o-rama). For this I am sorry but I really wanted to share one last ROM with this community. No worries though, I can update it even without the phone.

So, let's talk business.

voidf1.png
voidf2.png
voidf5.png

voidf3.png
voidf4.png
quad600mhz.png

(600Mhz, check this for 729Mhz)

~~~​

This ROM has a different approach from before. First of all, it is based on CM7. I have decided not to wait for 2.3 sources because CM has a very optimized core and framework. Even with the release of the sources or a decent leak, CM files will still be better performance-wise. Secondly, due to the lack of time, it doesn't have a modules system, it follows devoid's philosophy instead. Of course, it comes with a few of my tweaks and style. It will feel like a devoid but 2.3.

Features:
* CM7 core (compiled from CM sources + Mik's proprietary files and specific branches)
* FrancoKernel v17 BFS (pre-release v17 version, the released v17 is different, flash it!)
* Some tweaks @ CM7 source (ex: libsqlite patched and recompiled)
* Default settings changed @ CM7 source (overscroll, lense lksc, cclabel, cmbat)
* Build.prop tweaks / GPS tweaks / Browser tweaks / Patched hosts
* Strict Minfree Handler tweak / Auto-Zipalign tweak / ZRAM tweak
* Zeam launcher / GB keyboard / void. boot "inanimation" / Smartass Default
* Didn't have enough time to test different EGL tweaks

Changelog:
(syntax: r[2010-year].[month].[day])

* r1.6.15
first release

Download:
* void. #forever: http://mir.cr/DZLS1POV
* void. #forever -addon: http://mir.cr/0AYYEDQL

Instructions:
* read this whole thread before doing anything, especially the important notes
* wipe (data,cache,dalvik)
* partition if needed (a2sd for later)
* copy files to sdcard
* flash void. #forever and reboot
* after booting, go back to recovery
* flash now void. #forever -addon (it will activate the market and theme) and reboot

Important notes:
* If you don't reboot to recovery and flash the -addon, you will crash when trying to create a google account.
* After flashing the -addon, before the market appears on the applications drawer, you'll need to sign in on your google account.
* After flashing the -addon, do not sign in on your google account, press skip and add later or you may run into a "slide keyboard open" error
* You might get an error for google calendar sync but it will be gone as soon as you flash the calendar app.
* GSM works but during my beta-tests I didn't use one so ignore the screenshot.
* DarkTremors mod has some issues, try ungaze's data2sd or link2sd (info).
* For statusbar notifications icons issues, check this post.
* Last and not least, don't beg for applications, use the market or ask around.

Useful addons:
* Browser, FM and Calendar (credits: r291)
* ThemeChooser (credits: r291)
* LiveWallpapers (credits: r291)
* DSPManager (credits: r291)

Or check the full thread here.

Known issues:
* Check CM thread.
* void. specific: the powermenu glitches a bit with the lockscreen, just long-press power off button and it will be fine.

Before you report a bug or some kind of malfunctioning, make sure to have:
* Rebooted
* Reflashed (with full wipe, and format /system)

Anything else, disregarding stupid questions, tweet me.
If you wish to donate, donate to those who work their asses harder than me: franciscofranco (kernel), mik_os (cm port), andy (initial 2.3 port project), etc.

Last edited:

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
For all those who are thinking on releasing a ROM with void. as base:

If you want to do so, please make sure to:
1. There's a deep amount of changes, not just adding applications and changing theme (your personal taste basically).
2. If #1 doesn't apply, then release it as a mod, theme, or addon (only the necessary files + updater-script).

If you insist on releasing it without following #1 or #2, I'll ask for its deletion for breaking XDA rule #12.

There's a reason for this rule and it's because if me or XDA allow you to release a ROM with your own personal taste with a different name, then we would have to accept many, many other requests of the same type and everyone could have a go on the dev thread. It's also a mockery to us as developers and if you were paying attention, 4 of us already revealed ourselves as against.

And yes, void is based on CM's sources along with Mik's proprietary files and specific apps.

Like I've said before, I decided to use CM's core and framework files because they are stable and optimized. They are the product of a hivemind of 100+ guys or more who work on CM and Mik who kindly ported it to our dear P500. I've worked on it both at source and pack level and I've made a satisfactory degree of changes to make it a separate ROM. And no, I didn't ask for permission to these 100+ guys because it would be ludicrous and no one who makes a CM7-based ROM (there are many out there in XDA) ever does.

If you wish to reply or talk about this, do so by private message to me. (All RAGECAPS and flamewar-driven PMs will be ignored)
If you quote this and reply to it on this thread, it'll be treated as spam and reported likewise.

Thanks.

Last edited:

sugaritos

Dec 3, 2010
Athens
Noejn its a pity that you dont have the phone.. i think the optimus one owners can do something for it.. if we all donate you just 1 eyro i think you will be able to buy the phone in a week.. i think its the only way we can support our developers..

Reactions: Jeanjacq

XLR8_2K

Dec 26, 2010
Lisbon
3 letters... WOW

you're the man, as usual!
Flashing!

ps. You and FF, of course! :)

pps. quote unquote "FrancoKernel v17 BFS (yup, it's not released yet; btw, he forgot to change the version name on about menu)" ...as usual, rotfl :D

Heróis do Mar, nóóóbre Pô-ô-vo... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: franciscofranco

rapharias

Mar 28, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Just great =D can't try the rom just now since I'm not home, but tomorrow is the day.

Impressionado com as mentes portuguesas aqui! De vc e do Franco só espero o melhor.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

landeiro

Mar 10, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Just great =D can't try the rom just now since I'm not home, but tomorrow is the day.

Impressionado com as mentes portuguesas aqui! De vc e do Franco só espero o melhor.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

Rapharias depois dá sua opinião sobre a rom. Estou curioso! :D

Minha opinião o Noejn faz umas das melhores roms e o franco os melhores kernels. :D

My opinion is the Noejn make one of the best roms and Franco best kernels. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: franciscofranco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [NEW!] For void's development status, read this (+ HOWTO on building CM from source).

Discussion thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1133333 (thanks Nimitmak)

Well, here's a present.

The release had to be anticipated because I can't have anymore the LG P500 I borrowed for testing. So, I haven't had much time to test it yet. I couldn't either add a modules system (which is a shame, I was already targeting something like kang-o-rama). For this I am sorry but I really wanted to share one last ROM with this community. No worries though, I can update it even without the phone.

So, let's talk business.

voidf1.png
    voidf2.png
    voidf5.png

voidf3.png
    voidf4.png
    quad600mhz.png

(600Mhz, check this for 729Mhz)

~~~​

This ROM has a different approach from before. First of all, it is based on CM7. I have decided not to wait for 2.3 sources because CM has a very optimized core and framework. Even with the release of the sources or a decent leak, CM files will still be better performance-wise. Secondly, due to the lack of time, it doesn't have a modules system, it follows devoid's philosophy instead. Of course, it comes with a few of my tweaks and style. It will feel like a devoid but 2.3.

Features:
    * CM7 core (compiled from CM sources + Mik's proprietary files and specific branches)
    * FrancoKernel v17 BFS (pre-release v17 version, the released v17 is different, flash it!)
    * Some tweaks @ CM7 source (ex: libsqlite patched and recompiled)
    * Default settings changed @ CM7 source (overscroll, lense lksc, cclabel, cmbat)
    * Build.prop tweaks / GPS tweaks / Browser tweaks / Patched hosts
    * Strict Minfree Handler tweak / Auto-Zipalign tweak / ZRAM tweak
    * Zeam launcher / GB keyboard / void. boot "inanimation" / Smartass Default
    * Didn't have enough time to test different EGL tweaks

Changelog:
    (syntax: r[2010-year].[month].[day])

* r1.6.15
    first release

Download:
    * void. #forever: http://mir.cr/DZLS1POV
    * void. #forever -addon: http://mir.cr/0AYYEDQL

Instructions:
    * read this whole thread before doing anything, especially the important notes
    * wipe (data,cache,dalvik)
    * partition if needed (a2sd for later)
    * copy files to sdcard
    * flash void. #forever and reboot
    * after booting, go back to recovery
    * flash now void. #forever -addon (it will activate the market and theme) and reboot

Important notes:
    * If you don't reboot to recovery and flash the -addon, you will crash when trying to create a google account.
    * After flashing the -addon, before the market appears on the applications drawer, you'll need to sign in on your google account.
    * After flashing the -addon, do not sign in on your google account, press skip and add later or you may run into a "slide keyboard open" error
    * You might get an error for google calendar sync but it will be gone as soon as you flash the calendar app.
    * GSM works but during my beta-tests I didn't use one so ignore the screenshot.
    * DarkTremors mod has some issues, try ungaze's data2sd or link2sd (info).
    * For statusbar notifications icons issues, check this post.
    * Last and not least, don't beg for applications, use the market or ask around.

Useful addons:
    * Browser, FM and Calendar (credits: r291)
    * ThemeChooser (credits: r291)
    * LiveWallpapers (credits: r291)
    * DSPManager (credits: r291)

Or check the full thread here.

Known issues:
    * Check CM thread.
    * void. specific: the powermenu glitches a bit with the lockscreen, just long-press power off button and it will be fine.

Before you report a bug or some kind of malfunctioning, make sure to have:
    * Rebooted
    * Reflashed (with full wipe, and format /system)

Anything else, disregarding stupid questions, tweet me.
    If you wish to donate, donate to those who work their asses harder than me: franciscofranco (kernel), mik_os (cm port), andy (initial 2.3 port project), etc.
    For all those who are thinking on releasing a ROM with void. as base:

If you want to do so, please make sure to:
    1. There's a deep amount of changes, not just adding applications and changing theme (your personal taste basically).
    2. If #1 doesn't apply, then release it as a mod, theme, or addon (only the necessary files + updater-script).

If you insist on releasing it without following #1 or #2, I'll ask for its deletion for breaking XDA rule #12.

There's a reason for this rule and it's because if me or XDA allow you to release a ROM with your own personal taste with a different name, then we would have to accept many, many other requests of the same type and everyone could have a go on the dev thread. It's also a mockery to us as developers and if you were paying attention, 4 of us already revealed ourselves as against.

And yes, void is based on CM's sources along with Mik's proprietary files and specific apps.

Like I've said before, I decided to use CM's core and framework files because they are stable and optimized. They are the product of a hivemind of 100+ guys or more who work on CM and Mik who kindly ported it to our dear P500. I've worked on it both at source and pack level and I've made a satisfactory degree of changes to make it a separate ROM. And no, I didn't ask for permission to these 100+ guys because it would be ludicrous and no one who makes a CM7-based ROM (there are many out there in XDA) ever does.

If you wish to reply or talk about this, do so by private message to me. (All RAGECAPS and flamewar-driven PMs will be ignored)
    If you quote this and reply to it on this thread, it'll be treated as spam and reported likewise.

Thanks.
    Okay guys. I made an apps-addon.zip for Browser, FM and Calendar from CM7. themechooser.zip contains the Theme Chooser and Androidian/Cyanbread themes. DSP Manager works fine without causing problems.
    If you want CMSettings click here. The force closes have been fixed.

If you need any help post in this thread,
    List of add-ons for void.

UPDATE:
    - apps-addon now contains DownloadProviderUi.apk. It wasn't included before and that was causing Download Problems.
    - Added DSP Manager.
    - Added Live Wallpapers.
    So it's time to assume void's development has halted I guess.
    I really can't keep updating it without the phone, it's even more time consuming and trial-and-error oriented.

So, if anyone wants to go from here:

Sorry, I don't have the sources anymore but I kept track in a txt of the files I messed with.
    I'm not sure if there were more and that are not on the list but these I'm almost sure I toyed around:
    frameworks/base/core/java/android/widget/abslistview.java
    frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/src/com/android/systemui/statusbar/StatusBarService.java
    frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/src/com/android/systemui/statusbar/StatusBarPolicy.java
    frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/src/com/android/systemui/statusbar/CmBatteryText.java
    frameworks/base/packages/SystemUI/src/com/android/systemui/statusbar/CmBatteryMiniIcon.java
    frameworks/base/policy/src/com/android/internal/policy/impl/lockscreen.java
    external/sqlite/sqlite3.c
    res/xml/settings.xml

Other than this it's most pack-level work and you can use void as base.

Either way, this is CM-specific. For 2.3 ROMs, it's better if you just grab V10G or whatever it's called.

If you really want a pure "AOSP", then I suggest you to grab LG's 2.3 sources and replace every LG proprietary file for a CodeAurora one and then spend some time bug fixing but that's as close as you'll get to AOSP.

Also, it'd be in the interest of this community to try a port of Oxygen ROM 2.3. It's AOSP-based but in my humble opinion better than CM as it is faster and cleaner. I don't know if its framework is WVGA specific like MIUI but I doubt it, should be easy to port using CM libs.

These were the 2 projects I was aiming for if I had gotten a LG P500 for a little while longer but since that doesn't seem likely now, it's in your hands now.

By the way, here's a short tutorial on how to compile CM:
    You'll need: linux distro like ubuntu, +20 GB of space and fast internet.

1. Open synaptics manager, search for sun-java6-jdk and mark for install, apply. It will also install sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-bin.

2. Open terminal and install these packages through the command:

sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev pngcrush schedtool

If you are on a 64-bit system, install these also:

sudo apt-get install g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline5-dev gcc-4.4-multilib g++-4.4-multilib

3. Create directories.

mkdir -p ~/bin
    mkdir -p ~/android/system

4. Fetch files from CM.

curl http://android.git.kernel.org/repo > ~/bin/repo
    chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
    cd ~/android/system
    ~/bin/repo init -u git://github.com/mik9/android.git -b gingerbread
    ~/bin/repo sync

This will take some hours.

5. Go to mik's github, get the proprietary files and extract them to the correct place (/vendor/lge/ if I recall correctly) on CM's sources.

6. Build.

~/android/system/vendor/cyanogen/get-rommanager
    . build/envsetup.sh
    lunch cyanogen_thunderg-user
    make otapackage

You'll have the .zip in ~/android/system/out/target/product/thunderg/.

That's it.
    This'll only work until CM gets merged.
    After that the method will be different. Instead of the 3 last lines, it'll probably be just: . build/envsetup.sh && brunch thunderg

Now everyone can start flooding this section with CM-modded ROMs.

But do consider the Oxygen port and the AOSP 2.3 through CA files instead of LG's.
    It will take time but both will prove to be worth it.

P.S. If mik asks me to remove this howto, I'll do so.
    CMSettings

Okay. Here's CMSettings.zip. Adds CM settings and all the good things that come with it.
    Options: OC menu, notification power widgets, lockscreen and status bar hacks, Sound and display controls etc.

If you need any help post in this thread,
    List of add-ons for void.

I am just taking certain apks from mik's ROM and making flashable.zips. So, thank you mik.

Update: Fixed the bug which causes force close in Volume and Brightness.