How is 4.2.2 running so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
How are you guys liking 4.2.2 so far? Are there things you think google could have done better?

nexusae0_image_thumb52.png

4.2.2 Google Factory Image

Takju

Yakju

4.2.2 Takju & Yakju OTA

Takju OTA

Yakju OTA

nexusae0_image_thumb98.png

4.2.1 Google Factory Image

Takju

Yakju

4.2.1 Takju & Yakju OTA

Takju OTA

Yakju OTA

android-4.2-galaxy-nexus-update-1.jpg

4.2 Google Factory Image

Takju

Yakju

4.2 Takju & Yakju OTA With Instructions

Takju OTA

Yakju OTA

Maroon Mushroom said:
-make sure you're on the latest STOCK android image for TAKJU or Yakju (whichever OTA you want to flash)
-move .zip to your phone
-boot into CWM recovery
-install zip from SD card
-choose the fie

the install takes a few minutes.

Last edited:

aeoveu

Nov 8, 2010
Haven't seen any other thread so I'm posting here.

To start off, playing with the swiping keyboard is troublesome for me... I never liked Swype and I suck at swyping anyway :p tapping seems faster... Or maybe my finger isn't greased properly...

Otherwise, I have noticed that Agent Dash seems to stutter less in my 5 minutes of testing. The kernel's changed so I don't get those frequent flashing and random reboots (not yet anyway) (knock wood!).

No miracast streaming. No change in the radio performance thus far. There's a new antialiasing option in the Dev options though.

Seems alright, I'll say. Sans the swiping (which is a personal preference, cause it slows me down if I type carefully... Which you need to do if you want to make any sense... Go figure!)

sent from my mini tractor

SilentStormer

Jan 28, 2012
The land of no-iPhones
I don't have a 4.2 OTA, but I've been running the leaked apps on my Gnex for weeks.
Here's my impressions:
Keyboard is great for one-handed typing, I don't care who you are you have to admit that it makes it a little easier to type when you only have one had available and I'm a fan of it.

Camera is alright, I feel like the pictures (at least on the Gnex) didn't look as good as they should've but that was a .apk from a Nexus 4, so it's understandable. Also Photo Sphere works pretty well if you know how to take the pictures correctly and not move the phone around too much.

From what I've seen of the official 4.2 features, lock-screen widgets look really unfinished, quick settings needs some work and the ability to customize it, and I still don't know if HDR is on the Gnex yet.

Overall I'm a little skeptical if this will be a definitive "upgrade" or not.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA Premium HD app

turmoil86

Jun 10, 2010
I don't have a 4.2 OTA, but I've been running the leaked apps on my Gnex for weeks.
Here's my impressions:
Keyboard is great for one-handed typing, I don't care who you are you have to admit that it makes it a little easier to type when you only have one had available and I'm a fan of it.

Camera is alright, I feel like the pictures (at least on the Gnex) didn't look as good as they should've but that was a .apk from a Nexus 4, so it's understandable. Also Photo Sphere works pretty well if you know how to take the pictures correctly and not move the phone around too much.

From what I've seen of the official 4.2 features, lock-screen widgets look really unfinished, quick settings needs some work and the ability to customize it, and I still don't know if HDR is on the Gnex yet.

I stopped reading here.

Akizella

Jan 24, 2012
Vantaa
Bad one, downgraded to 4.1.2

First thing is, that you cant use gesture typing on my languange (finnish) so useless feature. Locksreen is crap i think like comparing the ways to widget locker, android loses 5-0. the build is also laggy, and apps is crashing and i get reboots. Would not recommend this, maybe later when batter version is avaible

Fluba

Jul 19, 2010
Everything seems to be running smoothly so far. I flashed 4.1.2 stock, unrooted, flashed the 4.2 zip and re-rooted and all that jazz.

Starting from new sucks (have to re-do screends and such), but it's also nice to start over fresh.

Lock screen are interesting but I find myself trying to swipe to the next one, but registers as a pattern instead (pattern password lock). When I start getting more texts/events I'll be able to find the usefulness of it all.

Swipe is really nice on the keyboard. I'm a button-press guy, but this is sort of refreshing. I like seeing the word develop as I move my finger around. Will I use the all the time? Maybe. I'll give it this week to test out.

Pull-down with quick settings is a useful feature. If it had data as well, that'd be amazing. I usually turn on wifi, turn off data just to make sure I'm not wasting it on my ATT plan. The icon for my name in the top left is kind of useless though. Just shows a small amount of contact information. Maybe it'll be the spot for profiles in the future.

Speed and performance is amazing as always. Ever since Jelly Bean it's been responsive and quick to load apps. Only when something is downloading in the background does the OS get a little sketchy. That's nothing to worry about though.

Remember to tap 7 times on About > Build Number to enable Developer Options. It's only been maybe half an hour, so I'll keep running through the various features to get the full experience down. Next up: Photo Sphere.

Joplisan

Jul 11, 2012
It's really smooth and stable for me. Even better than 4.1.2. I like the new styling and I fell in love with new additions right away. Like I mentioned before, I'm a bit bothered by a "recent apps" menu. Everythime I close (slide) an app, it laggs. The whole thing just blinks for a bit. Otherwise, everything runs well.

Oh, and I don't have "pinch to zoom" in Gmail.. checked in the settings, if I missed anything, but nothing... any ideas?

Lesicnik1

Feb 12, 2011
Slovenj Gradec
It's really smooth and stable for me. Even better than 4.1.2. I like the new styling and I fell in love with new additions right away. Like I mentioned before, I'm a bit bothered by a "recent apps" menu. Everythime I close (slide) an app, it laggs. The whole thing just blinks for a bit. Otherwise, everything runs well.

Oh, and I don't have "pinch to zoom" in Gmail.. checked in the settings, if I missed anything, but nothing... any ideas?
In GMail settings enable Auto-fit messages to enable pinch zooming.

Edrill

Nov 16, 2010
Not particularly impressed with the lockscreen widgets. And the colors are terrible! Can't wait for a custom kernel to drop so I can get that sorted! Apart from that, it's been okay so far, except for the slightest bit of lag, which seems to have settled in now. I guess it's a little too early to tell since most of us would still be installing our apps and customizing it, etc. Can't say much about the keyboard since I'm not a very big fan of the swipe keyboard. I'm happier with SwiftKey!

anil76

Feb 18, 2012
Delhi
Swype feature is working well. Camera looks good but forced closed few times. Once it hung and I had to take out my battery to restart.
Setting panel is a disappointment ..was expecting toggle to be available. Didn't face any lag.
Btw i don't see the thumbnail of clicked snap when my camera is on so I had to go to gallery to check the clicked snap.
Also new play store doesnt show manual updates seperately.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Fluba

Jul 19, 2010
Setting panel is a disappointment ..was expecting toggle to be available.

Just realized those aren't toggles. Disappointed as well. It's just telling me what is on instead of allowing me to quickly chance. Well, back to power toggles again.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

On another note, zoom/fit-to-screen isn't enabled in Gmail by default. Go to Settings > General > "Auto-fit messages" to enable it. Now those HTML formatted emails from companies looks decent.

ReAlives

Mar 17, 2012
New york
This build is so ****ing slow! I can't even tap on the keyboard because it's very very very lag guy, seems like this room makes my nexus touch screen a hundred times slower then it should be

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: maaluwa

djfoo000

Jan 26, 2010
Can anyone tell me if wireless display is activated via the OTA? Am extremely interested to know if Miracast is a software feature or not.

MoosDiagramm

Dec 30, 2011
The Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S builds still use the old 3.0 Linux kernel. Only the Nexus 4 build uses the newer 3.4 kernel. Is there a good reason why the new kernel isn't used in the other builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's my impressions:

I stopped reading here.
    First Impression after 24 Hours

Preamble: Flashed a fastboot factory images odexed and no root with full wipe

Pro :

- Wifi signal and new Radio it's better. (Europe/France)
    - Wifi option for battery safe work very well.
    - Battery life it's a bit improve. (Not as well as i expected)
    - Camera Effect integrated are very useful, don't need third party apps for common effect.
    - Google Now have a separated shortcut from lockscreen (For me it's Better).
    - DayDream, i Like it.
    - Keyboard it's good, not soo awesome but it's good.

Downside :

- Toogle Widget idea it's good but they need to transform these in a real widget.
    - Battery percentage should be integrated in the battery icons (Why not?? all phone have this option)
    - Lockscreen widget are a good idea too, but they seems too me a little immature.
    - Camera shortcut on widget (Very annoying if you make a mistake on swype).
    - When the lockscreen appears for first second you see that horrible lateral edges.
    - T9 search contacts (I don't know why??).
    - Wallpaper are always the same and some of that haven't the good size to apply.
    - Sound are always the same and very poor loudness (Why???).

What I'd Like :

- Integrated battery % (obv)
    - Lockscreen configurable from Setting an not from the lockscreen so u don't have all that **** on it.
    - An improved sound.
    - The Utopia of battery life ( I have now given up)
    - Wallpaper and sound must be upgrated (Fix the size of some of that).
    - Toogle widget as a real widget.
    - Meteo widget possible in the lockscreen.

For Now it' all. (i hope they do this in a future 5.0)

I know that all of this this maybe will be improved on CM, AOKP, Etc.. Etc.. ; but i always ask to myself WHY???? if a "normal people", it's not my case, don't wanna go through "framework, adb, fastboot, wipe, system, jar, etc... etc..." , must have the possibility of usage his device at least pleasant.
    It's Obvious that for other things u need a CUSTOM ROM.

PS: Sorry for my Bad English, but i think you get the idea.

In GMail settings enable Auto-fit messages to enable pinch zooming.
    I sense a lag after the update; even after two reboots.
    The lock screen is almost rubbish IMHO. Its like having multiple screens with widgets.
    As for the toggle I was expecting much much more. Don't mind the keyboard at all.
    widgets on android are so useless and so are multiple home screens
    and guess whats even more useless? widgets in the lockscreen..

i hope they understand this and rethink the whole UI in android 5.0

I'll get Matias Duarte on the phone immediately. Do you mind if I link to your comment so the ui design team can know who to go to for instructions on how to design Androids next iteration?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2