[Utility][Tool]baksmali/smali

Search This thread

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
- What is baksmali/smali?

smali/baksmali is an assembler/disassembler for the dex format used by dalvik, Android's Java VM implementation. The syntax is loosely based on Jasmin's/dedexer's syntax, and supports the full functionality of the dex format (annotations, debug info, line info, etc.)
The names "smali" and "baksmali" are equivalents of "assembler" and "disassembler" respectively.

- Author of the tool

JesusFreke

- Why we need it?

Android apk and jar files will include java classes to execute certain functionality. With baksmali, you will be able to disassemble the java classes into editable form (smalis) so you can do your editing and modding involving java script. Once you done changing, you need to assemble all classes to a readable form for android, i.e, classes.dex and here comes the role of assembler (Smali).

Since we have apk manager, do we still need this tool?

Yes and No!!! Because some apk managers even if they do support jar files but once they decompile smalis, they will remove some lines (.line, .parameter, ...etc) which are in my opinion are useful to locate some codes. So the choice is yours.

- What does this tool do?

Simply it baksmali classes.dex of android apk and jar files into editable form (smalis) to do your changes; then assemble it back (smali).

- Will it affect apk and jar original signature?

No, it will preserve original signature.

- Got problem?

During assembling (smali), you may got error message. You can check log file to locate what is wrong that make the manager stop assembling the file or post the log file for developers to look into it.

- What are the steps to work with this tool?

Run Baksmali_tool.bat file, this will create all needed folders in the first run.
1. Put android apk or jar file in "put-file-here" folder. If Current-file status is set to None, then either you need to set a file in option #3 or you forget putting valid file in "put-file-here" folder.
2. When Current-file status is set to your file, you can disassemble its classes.dex by option #1.
3. Classout folder with name of file project will be created in "project" folder; make your changes there.
4. If finished your changes, assemble classout folder by option #2.
5. If everything is OK, a new file will be created in "finish" folder with tag (Modded_) in its name, push it to your device by option #3 if it was system apk or jar; and if it was non system apk file, install it by option #4.

- Latest stable version

Latest stable baksmali/smali version: 2.2.2 (30.10.2017)

baksmali v. 2.2.2 - Download (bitbucket.org)

smali v. 2.2.2 - Download (bitbucket.org)

baksmali/smaly previous versions - Download (bitbucket.org)

- Latest beta version

Latest beta baksmali/smali version:

- Changelog

baksmali/smali wiki and changelog (github)

- Where can I download latest source code?

You can visit

baksmali/smali source page (github)

and you can download the latest smali and baksmali code versions.

- Special Thanks to XDA Portal Team

Special thanks to XDA Portal Team for featuring this utility

XDA Portal Team

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 10,076
  • 002.png
    002.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 10,187
Last edited:

badagila

Apr 5, 2013
Iloilo City
www.facebook.com
Backsmali / Smali Manager​

backsmalicopy.jpg

What is Backsmali / Smali?
smali/baksmali is an assembler/disassembler for the dex format used by dalvik, Android's Java VM implementation. The syntax is loosely based on Jasmin's/dedexer's syntax, and supports the full functionality of the dex format (annotations, debug info, line info, etc.)
The names "smali" and "baksmali" are equivalents of "assembler" and "disassembler" respectively.

Why we need it?
Android apk and jar files will include java classes to execute certain functionality. With backsmali, you will be able to disassemble the java classes into editable form (smalis) so you can do your editing and modding involving java script. Once you done changing, you need to assemble all classes to a readable form for android, i.e, classes.dex and here comes the role of assembler (Smali).

Yes and No!!! Because some apk managers even if they do support jar files but once they decompile smalis, they will remove some lines (.line, .parameter, ...etc) which are in my opinion are useful to locate some codes. So the choice is yours.

What does this tool do?
Simply it backsmali classes.dex of android apk and jar files into editable form (smalis) to do your changes; then assemble it back (smali).

Will it affect apk and jar original signature?

Got problem?
During assembling (smali), you may got error message. You can check log file to locate what is wrong that make the manager stop assembling the file or post the log file for developers to look into it.

What are the steps to work with this manager?
Run Backsmali_tool.bat file, this will create all needed folders in the first run..
1. Put android apk or jar file in "put-file-here" folder. If Current-file status is set to None, then either you need to set a file in option #3 or you forget putting valid file in "put-file-here" folder.
2. When Current-file status is set to your file, you can disassemble its classes.dex by option #1.
3. Classout folder with name of file project will be created in "project" folder; make your changes there.
5. If everything is OK, a new file will be created in "finish" folder with tag (Modded_) in its name, just rename it to its original name and push it to your device; don't forget to fix permissions as well.

If backsmali and smali code are outdated, what to do?
Just visit codes owner page, and download the latest smali and backsmali code versions and put them in "tools" folder (make sure to rename them to baksmali and smali without version number)

Future development?
Feel free to report any bugs or suggestion to improve upcoming releases :good:

Download
- Backsmali-Manager_v1.2 @ 11/June/2013 (The most recent one)
- Backsmali-Manager_v1.1 @ 7/June/2013 (old)
- Backsmali-Manager_v1 @ 6/June/2013 (old)

Change-log:
@ 11/June/2013 (v1.2):
- Fixed bug of file path in Read Log option.
- Fixed number 10 file that was not shown in Set Current-file option.

@ 7/June/2013 (v1.1):
- Deleting the folder and file in project and finish folder of same project name before backsmali or smali (no more overlapping :fingers-crossed:).
- Added Read log file functionality in the main menu.
- Ability to open classout folder after backsmali.
- Ability to open finish folder after smali.
- Ability to renamed finished modded file to its original name.
- Neat smali and compression processing (i.e, hidden processing :cool:).
- Fixed set Current-file option to visualize only apk and jar files.

@ 6/June/2013 (v1.0):
- First release of Backsmali / smali manager

i don't know how to start editing this smali file

Reactions: dabenk

OJ

Dec 31, 2011
Pune
VERY NICE!

Good Work..
I dont know much about smali backsmali.. but one confusion..
Is this tool also applicable if the files (apks or jars) we want to modify are odexed?

majdinj

Nov 25, 2006
AlAhsa
Version 1.3 is online

Change log:
- Added adb push finished file to device system partition (for system files).
- Ability to choose whether to reboot device after pushing files to device.
- Added adb install finished apk (for non-system files).
- Adjustable Java heap memory size.
- Adjustable finished file compression level.
- Updated Smali and Backsmali codes (date 15/6/2013).

Reactions: dreccon and hara74

majdinj

Nov 25, 2006
AlAhsa
@ 23/June/2013 (v1.4):
- Added Pull apk or jar From Android Device to the main menu.
- Added zipaligning process during Smali (better RAM management).
- Fixed apk installing process (added signing process step for installing apk process).
- Added direct link to this xda page in update option.
- More script polishing...

Reactions: dreccon and Kamy

majdinj

Nov 25, 2006
AlAhsa
@ 29/June/2013 (v1.5-FINAL):
- Fixed adb remount bug for some ROMs in push option.
- Baksmali argument is updated; now you can choose whether to baksmali with x argument (retain .line, .parameter, .prologue, and .local) or b argument (remove .line, .parameter, .prologue, and .local).

baran0119

Feb 16, 2013
Cracow/Sanok
Hi,
i've XP&Backsmali / Smali Manager v1.5 and i want baksmali framework.jar but i got error message(attachment)
I think wrong is slash (should be a backslash)
the same error is after i select 1(baksmali*)and then x and Y or
--------------------------------------------------------------and then b and Y

*baksmali or backsmali? :confused:

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 171

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    - What is baksmali/smali?

- Author of the tool

JesusFreke

- Why we need it?

Android apk and jar files will include java classes to execute certain functionality. With baksmali, you will be able to disassemble the java classes into editable form (smalis) so you can do your editing and modding involving java script. Once you done changing, you need to assemble all classes to a readable form for android, i.e, classes.dex and here comes the role of assembler (Smali).

- What does this tool do?

Simply it baksmali classes.dex of android apk and jar files into editable form (smalis) to do your changes; then assemble it back (smali).

- Will it affect apk and jar original signature?

- Got problem?

- What are the steps to work with this tool?

Run Baksmali_tool.bat file, this will create all needed folders in the first run.
    5. If everything is OK, a new file will be created in "finish" folder with tag (Modded_) in its name, push it to your device by option #3 if it was system apk or jar; and if it was non system apk file, install it by option #4.

- Latest stable version

Latest stable baksmali/smali version: 2.2.2 (30.10.2017)

baksmali v. 2.2.2 - Download (bitbucket.org)

smali v. 2.2.2 - Download (bitbucket.org)

baksmali/smaly previous versions - Download (bitbucket.org)

- Latest beta version

Latest beta baksmali/smali version:

- Changelog

baksmali/smali wiki and changelog (github)

- Where can I download latest source code?

You can visit

baksmali/smali source page (github)

and you can download the latest smali and baksmali code versions.

- Special Thanks to XDA Portal Team

Special thanks to XDA Portal Team for featuring this utility

XDA Portal Team

@ 29/June/2013 (v1.5-FINAL):
    - Fixed adb remount bug for some ROMs in push option.
    - Baksmali argument is updated; now you can choose whether to baksmali with x argument (retain .line, .parameter, .prologue, and .local) or b argument (remove .line, .parameter, .prologue, and .local).
    I think the authers are these guys (jesusfreke@jesusfreke.com, bgruv@google.com, JesusFr.. @gmail.com) from project page.. aren't they??? if so I will update OP

Yes, thats the same person. I'd just put JesusFreke, as thats his username.
    Version 1.1 is online
    Version 1.3 is online

Change log:
    - Added adb push finished file to device system partition (for system files).
    - Ability to choose whether to reboot device after pushing files to device.
    - Added adb install finished apk (for non-system files).
    - Adjustable Java heap memory size.
    - Adjustable finished file compression level.
    - Updated Smali and Backsmali codes (date 15/6/2013).