[ROM] Ubuntu Touch [Mar-6-2014]

Search This thread

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
Better explaination of Ubuntu OS and how it relates to us.

Ubuntu OS currently run on top of an Android "shell". The android layer contains the boot.img(kernel/ramdisk), initd, vendor specific drivers etc.. This is what first boots then the ubuntu file system is loaded within this Android "shell". This is why we need flash two zips to have it working(Android and Ubuntu). Ubuntu uses CM10.1 repos for the Android shell portion of the OS. This still works for us as we had official cm 10.1, though development wasn't long lived before moving to 10.2.
There is an AOSP 4.4.2 branch Ubuntu is working on to maybe replace the CM based Android component, but it is currently less stable than the CM based. Hopefully the AOSP branch becomes more stable in the near future as the development for our device is active there.

Built from source using modified mako tree/kernel
Working:
Most things..
Power key works to turn screen on and off after a reboot
Phone/SMS
3G/Wifi
Camera

Bugs/Not Working:
1. Cannot seem to add account with numbers in the email. The back button is active under the keyboard and is activated when trying to switch to numerical keypad
To Import Google Contacts from computer terminal:
adb shell

sudo -u phablet -i

syncevolution --configure --sync-property "username=email@gmail.com" --sync-property "password=secret" Google_Contacts

syncevolution --sync refresh-from-server Google_Contacts addressbook
2. Vol. Keys/Caps not working... doubt cap keys will be supported as the ui is made for not having them.
3. Wifi not remembered after reboot
4. Alarms don't work

Install from recovery:
1. Make your Nandroid to return to
2. Full Wipe
3. Install geeb zip
4. Install ubuntu zip - This is SLOW
5. Reboot and try - There is no boot animation so just be patient.. it boots

Downloads:
Geeb Zip

Ubuntu Zip
Ubuntu Touch change log

Don't Forget to hit the Thanks!

Last edited:

Emmes

Nov 21, 2012
Vienna
Just for something new to try.......Ubuntu Touch(Trusty) for the Geeb. Though not a daily driver by any means.....barely useable in most respects currently.

Working:
Phone/SMS
3G/Wifi
Camera

Bugs/Not Working:
Keyboard crashes
Unable to add account
Unable to install programs which is due to 2...which is do to 1....barely functional until fixed
Vol. Keys/Caps not working... doubt cap keys will be supported.

There are really alot more bugs...alot...but those are the two key

Install from recovery:
2. Full Wipe
3. Install geeb zip

Downloads:
Geeb Zip
Ubuntu Zip

I don't know if this thread is helpful for you, or maybe you've alreay seen it:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2587823

i tried it and it booted successful on my geehrc. Wifi worked, also keyboard and i could add an account too. Phone/SMS didn't work due no signal. The keyboard had also one severe bug: In the terminal the enter key didn't work.
It's worth a try, you can easily remove it, you just have to reflash your recovery ( in my case TWRP ).

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
New update. Running ALOT smoother.

The ubuntu zip is a nightly offered through ubuntu so you can always re download that at any point and flash overtop current installation to get the latest. It's a large file so I usually get it weekly...

sunnytse1

Jan 22, 2011
Hong Kong
Can i flash this on geehrc?why do we need to flash geeb.zip?thanks.

Sent from my Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011

Its not for sprint yet.....I'll work on that this weekend hopefully.

The geeb.zip is needed because of how Ubuntu touch works. Its currently using a mako device tree that has been converted to flash on my e973, the at&t is pretty much the exact same which is why it works for them.

First you flash a cm10.1 based Ubuntu tweaked android sysyem-- geeb.zip
Second is the Ubuntu rootfs that goes atop the android base-- Ubuntu zip

=JKT=

Mar 19, 2012
Hamilton
I'm totally jacked to try this. I've downloaded each file twice and tried to get this running. Thing is that the md5s are different for each file. I tried all 4 combinations and let them try to boot for 30 mins each. I must be getting bad downloads lol

Long story short: I would be super grateful for some md5s, if you get a chance :)

Sent by my Nexus 6 through tears in rain.

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
I'm totally jacked to try this. I've downloaded each file twice and tried to get this running. Thing is that the md5s are different for each file. I tried all 4 combinations and let them try to boot for 30 mins each. I must be getting bad downloads lol

Long story short: I would be super grateful for some md5s, if you get a chance :)

Seems like this is starting to happen to more people..... wondering if ubuntu zip got changed causing it not to boot. I'll try to get a booting copy up today

EDIT:
I downloaded everything myself to try and con confirm it is currently not booting. Ubuntu has changed something that has broke our display. If you reboot the phone you can turn the screen on an off with the power button. I'll hopefully fix this this weekend.. though it's a busy one for me already. See what I can do

Last edited:

=JKT=

Mar 19, 2012
Hamilton
Seems like this is starting to happen to more people..... wondering if ubuntu zip got changed causing it not to boot. I'll try to get a booting copy up today

EDIT:
I downloaded everything myself to try and con confirm it is currently not booting. Ubuntu has changed something that has broke our display. If you reboot the phone you can turn the screen on an off with the power button. I'll hopefully fix this this weekend.. though it's a busy one for me already. See what I can do

Thanks! But yeah, nobody here assumes this should take priority over anything in your personal life :) we'll get it when we get it.

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
This weekend ended up being a write off for me so I'll have to see when I can get to making a new working zip, or maybe its an issue from ubuntu end they'll resolve.

Did anyone that tried this and had it boot happen to still have the trusty-preinstalled zip they used? If someone has one from 8th or earlier it should boot... i unfortunatly don't have an earlier build then the 13th... you can still download the 12th and up from the ubuntu phablet site... not sure if that pre-dates the issue or not.

Edit: I havn't tried the 13th build to say if it works or not. Here is the link to the phablet site if someone wants to try an earlier build. look for the preinstalled zip at the bottom of the page after selecting the date

Last edited:

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
Ok, again I feel a little stupid(again).... I don't empty my Trash very often at all(on my computer or in real life), just neglected to think of it til now. I have an Ubuntu zip from the 4th still there, uploading it now(upload speed is slow... won't be done for an hour or so). Going to check that it boots as it should then i'll post the link.

Again, this is just to hold over untill I can try to see what I need to change to get us booting with the nightlies again.

EDIT: Can verify now that it boots. Here is the Ubuntu zip from the 4th. Remember, not that it really matters, this is an older version than the current.

Last edited:

adzidek

Nov 15, 2010
Toronto
Ok, again I feel a little stupid(again).... I don't empty my Trash very often at all(on my computer or in real life), just neglected to think of it til now. I have an Ubuntu zip from the 4th still there, uploading it now(upload speed is slow... won't be done for an hour or so). Going to check that it boots as it should then i'll post the link.

Again, this is just to hold over untill I can try to see what I need to change to get us booting with the nightlies again.

EDIT: Can verify now that it boots. Here is the Ubuntu zip from the 4th. Remember, not that it really matters, this is an older version than the current.

Confirmed, definitely boots. And I've successfully added all my accounts, but you've gotta either tap the top-right corner of the bottom-left 'swap' key to get the @ or the numbers, or the bottom-left corner of the swap-key (depends on which account you're trying to add - some of them have the Back button in the way which you can avoid by tapping the top-right corner of the swap key, and some have the Cancel button in the way, which you can avoid by tapping the bottom-left corner of the swap key). It's a pain the arse but it works.

I want to do the Google Contacts fix, but I want to do it from the handset's terminal app (i.e. not through ADB) - how do you do a return (Enter) in the Terminal app?

EDIT: found the fix for Enter and Backspace not working in terminal app. Flash this in recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haze028

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
Confirmed, definitely boots. And I've successfully added all my accounts, but you've gotta either tap the top-right corner of the bottom-left 'swap' key to get the @ or the numbers, or the bottom-left corner of the swap-key (depends on which account you're trying to add - some of them have the Back button in the way which you can avoid by tapping the top-right corner of the swap key, and some have the Cancel button in the way, which you can avoid by tapping the bottom-left corner of the swap key). It's a pain the arse but it works.

I want to do the Google Contacts fix, but I want to do it from the handset's terminal app (i.e. not through ADB) - how do you do a return (Enter) in the Terminal app?

EDIT: found the fix for Enter and Backspace not working in terminal app. Flash this in recovery.

Going to add this zip yo the OP, where did you find it so I can credit them when I link it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Better explaination of Ubuntu OS and how it relates to us.

Ubuntu OS currently run on top of an Android "shell". The android layer contains the boot.img(kernel/ramdisk), initd, vendor specific drivers etc.. This is what first boots then the ubuntu file system is loaded within this Android "shell". This is why we need flash two zips to have it working(Android and Ubuntu). Ubuntu uses CM10.1 repos for the Android shell portion of the OS. This still works for us as we had official cm 10.1, though development wasn't long lived before moving to 10.2.
    There is an AOSP 4.4.2 branch Ubuntu is working on to maybe replace the CM based Android component, but it is currently less stable than the CM based. Hopefully the AOSP branch becomes more stable in the near future as the development for our device is active there.

Working:
    Most things..
    Power key works to turn screen on and off after a reboot
    Phone/SMS
    3G/Wifi
    Camera

Bugs/Not Working:
    1. Cannot seem to add account with numbers in the email. The back button is active under the keyboard and is activated when trying to switch to numerical keypad
    To Import Google Contacts from computer terminal:
    adb shell

sudo -u phablet -i

syncevolution --configure --sync-property "username=email@gmail.com" --sync-property "password=secret" Google_Contacts

syncevolution --sync refresh-from-server Google_Contacts addressbook
    2. Vol. Keys/Caps not working... doubt cap keys will be supported as the ui is made for not having them.
    3. Wifi not remembered after reboot
    4. Alarms don't work

Install from recovery:
    2. Full Wipe
    3. Install geeb zip

Downloads:
    Geeb Zip

Ubuntu Zip
    Ubuntu Touch change log

could you also provide an e975 build please?

I will do that soon, I promise.

Good news is, I'm back to booting again. I'll fix it up a bit and put out a zip either later tonight or tomorrow.

At first glance, it's alot more snappy and screen rotation is working nicely. havn't played too much, as i need to make some changes to get network and such working properly. only wifi right now.. but i expected that.... anyways i'll have it up with network data and all soon..

New Build Is Up!!
    could you also provide an e975 build please?

Ok, I'm currently building my first try at e975. I'll post it here when it is done. I do not guarantee it will work, I made changes to the kernel config based on differences between e970 and e975 from cyanogen. made some changes to the device repo also, just not sure what changes need to be made so not sure if i got them all.

if it doesn't boot i'll try again, see what else i can find.

*I cant test this myself, I think it is safe but I've never built for e975.*

Give this a try, let me know how it goes.

Its not for sprint yet.....I'll work on that this weekend hopefully.

The geeb.zip is needed because of how Ubuntu touch works. Its currently using a mako device tree that has been converted to flash on my e973, the at&t is pretty much the exact same which is why it works for them.

First you flash a cm10.1 based Ubuntu tweaked android sysyem-- geeb.zip
    Second is the Ubuntu rootfs that goes atop the android base-- Ubuntu zip
    Just for something new to try.......Ubuntu Touch(Trusty) for the Geeb. Though not a daily driver by any means.....barely useable in most respects currently.

Working:
    Phone/SMS
    3G/Wifi
    Camera

Bugs/Not Working:
    Keyboard crashes
    Unable to add account
    Unable to install programs which is due to 2...which is do to 1....barely functional until fixed
    Vol. Keys/Caps not working... doubt cap keys will be supported.

There are really alot more bugs...alot...but those are the two key

Install from recovery:
    2. Full Wipe
    3. Install geeb zip

Downloads:
    Geeb Zip
    Ubuntu Zip

I don't know if this thread is helpful for you, or maybe you've alreay seen it:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2587823

i tried it and it booted successful on my geehrc. Wifi worked, also keyboard and i could add an account too. Phone/SMS didn't work due no signal. The keyboard had also one severe bug: In the terminal the enter key didn't work.
    It's worth a try, you can easily remove it, you just have to reflash your recovery ( in my case TWRP ).