[Q] How does Google's "Backup My Data" in Settings works?

Search This thread

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
When I had my iPhone, I can do iTunes backup to my Mac and when I have a new iPhone, I can do restore of the apps and data from the previous iPhone. It restore everything, including apps, the apps data, email configuration, etc.

For Android, there is "Backup My Data" under Settings --> Accounts. Does this do the same thing as the above?

For example, I tried to do this:
1). Check "Backup My Data"
2). Associate this with one of my Gmail account
3). Get a new Android phone and... I don't see "Restore" in the same Settings.

I DO see the settings to Backup My Data in the new Android phone, but I am afraid if I checked this, it will overwrite the data in Google's server

I am trying to figure out if Backup My Data can re-download all the apps installed in the older device, including the apps data. I don't care about email or contacts, since those are synced to my Gmail accounts.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
When I had my iPhone, I can do iTunes backup to my Mac and when I have a new iPhone, I can do restore of the apps and data from the previous iPhone. It restore everything, including apps, the apps data, email configuration, etc.

For Android, there is "Backup My Data" under Settings --> Accounts. Does this do the same thing as the above?

I DO see the settings to Backup My Data in the new Android phone, but I am afraid if I checked this, it will overwrite the data in Google's server

I am trying to figure out if Backup My Data can re-download all the apps installed in the older device, including the apps data. I don't care about email or contacts, since those are synced to my Gmail accounts.

Backup and restore works by backing up which apps you've installed, contacts, etc and, when you get a new phone, it will restore these items back. During a new phone booting on, fresh ROM, the setup allows the user to restore from Google account that you backed up to it. IT happens also when you flash new ROMs as well during setup. The backup function allows, before getting a new phone to backup and then restore in new phone during setup. The apps however will need to be reset to custom settings because the phone will redownload them from play store yet will not have any of the settings you previously did.

Reactions: lanwarrior

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
The apps however will need to be reset to custom settings because the phone will redownload them from play store yet will not have any of the settings you previously did.

Ah, that's key. That means I have to redo ALL the settings in each app again. I was hoping Google backup will restore individual app settings AND data, as described in my 1st post. In Settings --> Accounts --> Google account, I have the "Sync App Data" checked, but I guess it's not doing anything to backup app settings and data.

OK, I guess I have to use Titanium Backup or Helium instead. With Helium, once I installed an app (whether it's Playstore or Amazon's Appstore), I can restore the data and it works exactly as it was in the old device.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Ah, that's key. That means I have to redo ALL the settings in each app again. I was hoping Google backup will restore individual app settings AND data, as described in my 1st post. In Settings --> Accounts --> Google account, I have the "Sync App Data" checked, but I guess it's not doing anything to backup app settings and data.

OK, I guess I have to use Titanium Backup or Helium instead. With Helium, once I installed an app (whether it's Playstore or Amazon's Appstore), I can restore the data and it works exactly as it was in the old device.

Yes, a custom backup (ie Titanium or Helium) backup your data from the apps. Google just contacts, etc for minimal restore from one device to next. One of those or related should work because they make an extractable file you can drag/drop from one phone to the next and be able to restore very well. Helium may be the better way to go. Ran into problems recently with Titanium since 4.4 but may be fixed by now.

AaronM7

Nov 1, 2009
The Intarwebz
does anyone else have the problem when installing a new ROM that Google doesn't restore the apps? I have had this problem nearly every time I have installed a new ROM, and eventually have to end up restoring (which is a total PITA.) I often wonder if I am missing something, as this drives me completely nucking futs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Backup and restore works by backing up which apps you've installed, contacts, etc and, when you get a new phone, it will restore these items back. During a new phone booting on, fresh ROM, the setup allows the user to restore from Google account that you backed up to it. IT happens also when you flash new ROMs as well during setup. The backup function allows, before getting a new phone to backup and then restore in new phone during setup. The apps however will need to be reset to custom settings because the phone will redownload them from play store yet will not have any of the settings you previously did.