[Q] Space Requirements for Kernel Build and test

Search This thread

KiD3991

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 21, 2012
I originally had a 150GB VHDD ready but now I just hit a storage crisis, is 100GB enough?
Also the 150GB VHDD is slightly buggish... Might need to reinstall it.

For building kernels only. is 100GB enough?

KiD3991

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah totally. I would feel confident downloading CM 11 (ROM, Kernel and CWM recovery) on half of that.

Thanks for the swift reply, its just because quite some time ago I heard you need like a few hundred to build a ROM and more if you want to build from several sources.

Thanks again.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks for the swift reply, its just because quite some time ago I heard you need like a few hundred to build a ROM and more if you want to build from several sources.

Thanks again.

I can't remember the exact sizes as I broke my CM 11 repo yesterday so 'its currently doing a repo sync right now. I use a 240GB SSD so I know the concerns of space when building.

I have both the AOSP and CM 11 repo sync'd to my SSD. The AOSP repo is just under 22 GB. I would always make sure I have double the space the repo takes to build into as the out directory can get quite big, but it wouldn't surpass it. I doubt it would pass 10 GB for a full AOSP ROM but to be fair, I haven't counted the space since Gingerbread so don't quote me on that :)

Reactions: KiD3991

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I originally had a 150GB VHDD ready but now I just hit a storage crisis, is 100GB enough?
    Also the 150GB VHDD is slightly buggish... Might need to reinstall it.

For building kernels only. is 100GB enough?

Yeah totally. I would feel confident downloading CM 11 (ROM, Kernel and CWM recovery) on half of that.

Thanks again.

I can't remember the exact sizes as I broke my CM 11 repo yesterday so 'its currently doing a repo sync right now. I use a 240GB SSD so I know the concerns of space when building.

I have both the AOSP and CM 11 repo sync'd to my SSD. The AOSP repo is just under 22 GB. I would always make sure I have double the space the repo takes to build into as the out directory can get quite big, but it wouldn't surpass it. I doubt it would pass 10 GB for a full AOSP ROM but to be fair, I haven't counted the space since Gingerbread so don't quote me on that :)