[MOD] HC custom build.prop - Updated: 1/29/12

Search This thread

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
***Warning Dragons Ahead!!*** Do this at your own risk, I am just providing the files / scripts and can not be held responsible for any harm done to your device. It's working great for me but your results may vary,but again I am not responsible for any damage or problems you might encounter by using this mod.

This mod will not stop the ota updater from working properly and may even help pull in updates, this one should work on all builds.. It will change your build number and tab name unfortunatly there is no fix for this since the market uses this info to determine which apps to display.

Be sure to back up your original build.prop before doing this mod!!!

This mod is for HoneyComb Only
(to backup simply copy your origional build.prop file to an alternate location like /mnt/sdcard).

A little about the build.prop file and what it does:
Your build.prop file contains a lot of information about your tab. Things like what model, version of android, manufacturer and other info can be found within, but it also can control certain aspects such as display density, wifi scan time and other misc tweaks that improve overall smoothness.

This build.prop file contains the following changes:

# Makes the market and apps think your a100 is really an a500 (letting you find and buy more apps then what you'd normally see in the market)
# Speed up UI (smoother flinging)
# Battery saving tweaks
# Inet optimization tweeks

# Additional tweaks to fine tune the touch screen (still has the double letter issue when typing too fast)
# Additional tweaks to improve battery saving while tablet sleep
# Added LCD Density (you can change to smaller icons and higher virtual resoolution by lowering the density (see inside of build.prop file)
# Reorganized the build.prop file and included comments for the various tweeks

# Added settings to improve image quality when taking pictures and recording video and speed up bootimes (just by a few seconds) [thanks to tehgyb of xda]

# Added settings to improve streaming media streaming (improves youtube preformance) [thanks to Icewyng of xda]
# Added settings to improve app compatibility (less fc's) [thanks to Icewyng of xda]

Requirments: (things you'll need before doing this mod) You'll need to be rooted and have root explorer installed. (or some other method of copying the build.prop file to /system)

Instructions:

- Open root explorer and navigate to /system and tap the mount r/w button

- Unzip the file and put build.prop in /system (be sure to make a backup copy first!)

- Reboot and watch your tab fly even faster!

If you have problems finding apps in the market (such as gameloft games) try clearing the cache for market.
-----------------------------------
If you'd like the terminal commands (if you cant figure out any other way to copy and dont have root explorer), let me know and Ill work up the commands and post them.

Attachments

• build.prop.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 2,825
Last edited:

aboodyksa

Sep 23, 2010
very nice :D

thank you so much! finally we got some attention in the dev department, and i really do appreciate it :)

will tast it later and report back.

toyface

Aug 7, 2010
Derbyshire
Crossix, you genius ha ha! Oh I do love tweaks like this, I grew up tweaking Linux distros like this, excellent progress on tweaking our humble little tablet :)

Sent from my A100

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
man crossix if it weren't for all your mods I probably would've gone insane with this tablet. I didn't know you had more up your sleeve. Thanks for the awesome work!!!

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

also guys if you don't wanna use root explorer (not sure if its free now) but you can use ES Explorer go to settings and check root explorer and mount system boxes. Then you can copy the file over or edit the build.prop yourself.

ptesmoke

Sep 23, 2008
Cold Lake
crossix this looks awesome, i will be doing this after work today, thank you so much for your work!

i know its kind of off topic but is it at all possible you or someone could post the acer sync.apk from Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN_1? its located in /system/app. I didnt know it handled the exchange portion of the rom, so i uninstalled it and titanium backup just hangs on restoring it for me :(

thanks again for everything!

Reactions: NoSudo

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
it would change the build number of the current running rom and potentially cause a softbrick with some of the extra's acer put in. You can try it, just make sure you have a working recovery method before you do!

If you've borked your recovery so that none of the update.zip files are recognized (you get the red spin forever error) then you'll need to look at the bootloader thread in the general section for a working recovery image (probably should make that another topic in this dev section).

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Last edited:

goofball2k

Oct 5, 2010
Ottawa
Does this mod give you the Astro file manager that breaks down the sections of storage areas like when it is installed on the A500? Super handy how it had it broken down to Internal/External SD/USB storage sections, instead of having to navigate to \mnt\sdcard or \mnt\external_sd

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
Funny, now cause it thinks it is a A500 I got an OTA update notification, which I ignored since I do not want to brick my A100 LOL!!

Eh? Yeah don't try upating unless you restore you're old build.prop. I'm really suprised it prompted you at all.

Does this mod give you the Astro file manager that breaks down the sections of storage areas like when it is installed on the A500? Super handy how it had it broken down to Internal/External SD/USB storage sections, instead of having to navigate to \mnt\sdcard or \mnt\external_sd

Um, no.. I have no idea what that is. This mod just make the market and any apps you install think your running a a500. It doesn't give you any extra functionality in the apps that come with the tab. Also, if you have wifi disabled while your tab is turned off there's hardly any battery usage. After sitting for 8hrs today I had 96% battery left, .5% an hour ain't bad at all.

Last edited:

toyface

Aug 7, 2010
Derbyshire

I use Astro myself, I don't know as I haven't tried this but if you uninstall it and reinstall it you may well get the tablet version, now thinking you're running an a500?

Toyface

jimmyUT

Jan 17, 2011
Salt Lake City
I could not get the a100 to find the update to 3.2.1 and was stuck on 3.2. After I switched out to this build prop it finally updated...

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
nah, if it already updated the it should have overwritten the custom build.prop I'm really suprised it updated without a hitch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***Warning Dragons Ahead!!*** Do this at your own risk, I am just providing the files / scripts and can not be held responsible for any harm done to your device. It's working great for me but your results may vary,but again I am not responsible for any damage or problems you might encounter by using this mod.

This mod will not stop the ota updater from working properly and may even help pull in updates, this one should work on all builds.. It will change your build number and tab name unfortunatly there is no fix for this since the market uses this info to determine which apps to display.

Be sure to back up your original build.prop before doing this mod!!!

This mod is for HoneyComb Only
    (to backup simply copy your origional build.prop file to an alternate location like /mnt/sdcard).

A little about the build.prop file and what it does:
    Your build.prop file contains a lot of information about your tab. Things like what model, version of android, manufacturer and other info can be found within, but it also can control certain aspects such as display density, wifi scan time and other misc tweaks that improve overall smoothness.

This build.prop file contains the following changes:

# Makes the market and apps think your a100 is really an a500 (letting you find and buy more apps then what you'd normally see in the market)
    # Speed up UI (smoother flinging)
    # Battery saving tweaks
    # Inet optimization tweeks

# Additional tweaks to fine tune the touch screen (still has the double letter issue when typing too fast)
    # Additional tweaks to improve battery saving while tablet sleep
    # Added LCD Density (you can change to smaller icons and higher virtual resoolution by lowering the density (see inside of build.prop file)
    # Reorganized the build.prop file and included comments for the various tweeks

# Added settings to improve image quality when taking pictures and recording video and speed up bootimes (just by a few seconds) [thanks to tehgyb of xda]

# Added settings to improve streaming media streaming (improves youtube preformance) [thanks to Icewyng of xda]
    # Added settings to improve app compatibility (less fc's) [thanks to Icewyng of xda]

Requirments: (things you'll need before doing this mod) You'll need to be rooted and have root explorer installed. (or some other method of copying the build.prop file to /system)

Instructions:

- Open root explorer and navigate to /system and tap the mount r/w button

- Unzip the file and put build.prop in /system (be sure to make a backup copy first!)

- Reboot and watch your tab fly even faster!

If you have problems finding apps in the market (such as gameloft games) try clearing the cache for market.
    -----------------------------------
    If you'd like the terminal commands (if you cant figure out any other way to copy and dont have root explorer), let me know and Ill work up the commands and post them.
    crossix this looks awesome, i will be doing this after work today, thank you so much for your work!

i know its kind of off topic but is it at all possible you or someone could post the acer sync.apk from Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN_1? its located in /system/app. I didnt know it handled the exchange portion of the rom, so i uninstalled it and titanium backup just hangs on restoring it for me :(

thanks again for everything!
    Anyone try this on gen2 yet?

Sent from my thunderbolt using tapatalk

I just tried it and it's working on my A100 GEN2, it seems a bit faster alright.
    Luckily it did not turn my A100 into a soft brick LOL!!!:p:D
    Crossix have you found a way to tweak gpu?

sshh, that's the next thing I'm working on... I'm afraid much can't be done though without being able to load a custom kernel. Can't overclock the gpu or cpu because of it.. I'm looking at other things though like updated nvidia drivers (I think you can tinker with those without a custom kernel) only prob is I'm not sure if stuff gets overwritten on boot (the init does for sure).

but there is always chainfire 3d

OK, tried it on my GEN2 tab and got a boot loop, so I flashed one of the GEN1 Roms available here and now its golden. Awesome work my tab flies now.

it might have been caused by a permissions change. I managed to do the same thing switching back to gen2 and figured out that my build.prop only had read permissions set for owner.. it needs at least read permissions for group and root