[CWM Script]Galaxy S3 CWM Wifi Bluetooth Tethering Install Script

Search This thread

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
Anybody gotten a letter from AT&T?

Has anybody gotten a letter from AT&T about tethering after installing this hack? My assumption is that AT&T will still be able to detect tethering based on packet inspection.

Also, I can confirm that I was able to tether while traveling in Europe using 2 different European SIM cards after applying this script. Not sure if I would have been able to tether without the script.

SoonerLater

Mar 11, 2011
Hard Bricked My New I747

Don't apply this to an I747 (ATT) Galaxy S3 unless you're on 4.0.4 as the OP writes. I bought a new I747 (ATT) Galaxy S3 yesterday (Nov. 23). I'm not sure what OS it was on, but I"m sure that it was greater than 4.0.4. After successfully rooting and installing Clockwork Mod, I tried to install this script. Now my phone is HARD BRICKED, as documented in this thread. It won't turn on. It won't go into download mode. It won't go into recovery mode. Odin doesn't see it. Windows 7 (with all correct drivers) doesn't notice it being plugged into the PC with battery in or out. It's just dead, dead, dead.

I guess I'll exchange it at Sam's Club, where I bought it, since Sam's has a no questions asked return policy.

Timbits93

Oct 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Just chiming in.

Anyone want to confirm if there will be an update for the official Jelly Bean update?

I know this worked well for the ICS official rom (used it on LEM) :p

Thanks!

ElBeaner

Feb 22, 2012
Dallas
Just chiming in.

Anyone want to confirm if there will be an update for the official Jelly Bean update?

I know this worked well for the ICS official rom (used it on LEM) :p

Thanks!

I second this request. I've had this hack for a while(and have only used it twice, but it came in handy when I needed it).

Hoping you update for new JB

zenaxe

May 30, 2010
Consider using Foxfi if this mod doesn't get updated. It's an app, doesn't require root, won't brick your phone if you mess up, has a proxy server to reduce the chance that AT&T will flag you as tethering. Foxfi was pulled from the play store but the author offers it directly from his web site (google it).

SoonerLater

Mar 11, 2011
Consider using Foxfi if this mod doesn't get updated. It's an app, doesn't require root, won't brick your phone if you mess up, has a proxy server to reduce the chance that AT&T will flag you as tethering. Foxfi was pulled from the play store but the author offers it directly from his web site (google it).

Unfortunately, the maker of FoxFi says that it doesn't work on ATT past Android 4.0. It's specifically not supported at 4.1. The maker suggests not upgrading to JB. However, my wife's S-III is already on JB.

SoonerLater

Mar 11, 2011
Power Toggles worked for me.

Are you saying that you Power Toggles allows you to use Bluetooth Tethering on an AT&T Galaxy S-III that does not have a tethering data plan? I tried it on my wife's AT&T Galaxy S-III. Power Toggle has a Bluetooth Tethering toggle, and I paired a Nexus 7 tablet to it, but even though paired, it would not share an internet connection.

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
Are you saying that you Power Toggles allows you to use Bluetooth Tethering on an AT&T Galaxy S-III that does not have a tethering data plan? I tried it on my wife's AT&T Galaxy S-III. Power Toggle has a Bluetooth Tethering toggle, and I paired a Nexus 7 tablet to it, but even though paired, it would not share an internet connection.

Haven't tried BT yet but Wifi tethering worked for me with Power Toggles.

jazee

Nov 14, 2012
AT&T SGH-I747. JB 4.1.1 stock ROM. Installed CW Recovery and TeamEpic Root. No problems. Installed Titanium Backup Pro, and uninstalled the Tethering Provisioning which supposedly disables the check to see if you have a tethering plan. Problem is, I think when I was removing Bloatware, I removed the stock AT&T Tethering App. Now I can't seem to find a WiFi Tethering app that works!

Tried this one which seems to be popular and tried both the Auto and the S3 profiles. Doesn't show up on the network.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether&hl=en

I had Power Toggles when I was trying out a new HTC One X+ a few weeks ago, but then when I exchanged it for the S3, it seemed like Touchwiz defeated the purpose of Power Toggles - and don't you still need a tethering app in conjunction with Power Toggles.

Google searches on S3 JB tethering with past week time frame turns up all sorts of posts all over the place of people's tethering not working since JB 4.1.1 update. I guess I'll just keep trying more apps.

Last edited:

celluser7

Apr 21, 2008
Enable Wifi & Native Blue Tooth Tethering on Galaxy S3

*****Disclaimer: This has only been tested on ATT's Version of the Galaxy S 3 if it works on other Galaxys S 3 providers please let us know. But be warned that this may not work on your device if not using an ATT Samsung Galaxy S3.
This to work on a Sprint version would be super sweet…!!

Trevor_g

Jul 6, 2008
So, from what I gather, this script cannot help me replace the missing Bluetooth PAN functionality my Telus GS3 had before they axed it in the recent 4.1.2. update. Correct? It seems as if the script is only safe for use with 4.x.x.

I'll have to go back to the latest stock official. That feature was just WAY too useful to go without... drats!

Unless someone else knows of a solution...?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

*****Disclaimer: This has only been tested on ATT's Version of the Galaxy S 3 if it works on other Galaxys S 3 providers please let us know. But be warned that this may not work on your device if not using an ATT Samsung Galaxy S3.

Special Thaks: I want to thank Clubtech for providing the framework that allows the Tethering in the first place. I only built the script to make it an easier install for everyone. Which was per a request of the community.

Original Post For Clubtech's Enabling Wifi Tethering Tutorial

Requirements:
    -Rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 (ATT Version has only been tested)
    -Busybox installed on your Phone
    - ATT Android STOCK ICS 4.0.4 (To check this go to Settings-->About Device-->Android Version and you'll see version 4.0.4, If you do not have ICS 4.0.4 I do not recommend trying this mod unless you possibly want a bricked phone.)
    -Ensure your Build Number IMM76D.I747UCALG1 (To check this goto Settings-->About Device-->Build Number under this section you will see IMM76D.I747UCALG1.)

Steps:

1. Download the Clockwork Mod Install Script Here! (You do not have to register to download the file just click the download button)
    2. Copy the script to your Internal SDCard on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Phone (you may have downloaded this file on your phone already just ensure its in the root directory of the Internal SDCard (/mnt/sdcard)
    3. Reboot Phone in to Recovery Mode (Remember you will need Clock Work Mod Recovery to Install This)
    4. Scroll Down to Install .zip from sdcard and click either home or power button
    5. Scroll Down to Install .zip from Internal SDCard and click either the home or power button
    6. Scroll Down to the line that starts with Yes blah,blah,blah (This is ensuring that you want to apply this zip. Make sure this is what you truly want to do)
    7. Once installation is finished reboot the device
    8. Once device is rebooted goto: Setting-->More Settings-->Tethering and Portable Hotspots Now you see that your device has Bluetooth Tethering there as an option and you will now notice if you start the Portable Wifi Hotspot your phone does not tell you to call ATTs 611 to enable this service.
    9. Have fun tethering with your Galaxy S3 but remember if you aren't Grandfathered into ATTs Unlimited Data Limit then this means you do have a Data Limit and at the moment the highest they offer I believe is 2GB so any tethering being done on your phone will use your allocated Data Usage in a month and you may incur overage charges at $10.00 for each GB over 2GB. Even if you go 1MB over the 2GB data plan you will be charged the $10.00 so you might as well use the rest of the 1023MB available to you.

If you have any questions on this script please let me know. If you like this and find it usefull give some thumbs up please.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2029983

CWM Script WIFI BT Tether

This one works.

Sent from my S3
    In a sense yes. This allow you to bypass calling ATT and paying to have the ability to tether. Tethering still uses your allotted Data Usage. So in a way it's free and not free. Well however Clubtech obtained the file to open up the Tethering I do not know. But most likely because removing the old framework-res.apk from the phone and installing the new one is essentially removing ATTs code from the framework-res.apk. They may have a backup somewhere in the system that will allow them to detect tethering this I'm not sure of because I don't have access to this info. But from what I understand is they have to block it immediately because the only way they can tell data is being used on there network by a specific device is through the IMEI number so they can't tell what's behind the device being tethered to because it still shows data is being streamed from the device with IMEI xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    I was thinking that the code that was in the old framework-res.apk allowed the phone to contact ATT somehow to see if this specific IMEI can have tethering enabled. That's only a thought though

In other words this allows free tethering right? How does this make ATT not notice it?

--Update---

Tested it works as advertised. BTW if you can reply to my Qs.

Special Thaks: I want to thank Clubtech for providing the framework that allows the Tethering in the first place. I only built the script to make it an easier install for everyone. Which was per a request of the community.

Original Post For Clubtech's Enabling Wifi Tethering Tutorial

Requirements:
    -Rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 (ATT Version has only been tested)
    -Busybox installed on your Phone
    - ATT Android STOCK ICS 4.0.4 (To check this go to Settings-->About Device-->Android Version and you'll see version 4.0.4, If you do not have ICS 4.0.4 I do not recommend trying this mod unless you possibly want a bricked phone.)
    -Ensure your Build Number IMM76D.I747UCALG1 (To check this goto Settings-->About Device-->Build Number under this section you will see IMM76D.I747UCALG1.)

Steps:

1. Download the Clockwork Mod Install Script Here! (You do not have to register to download the file just click the download button)
    2. Copy the script to your Internal SDCard on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Phone (you may have downloaded this file on your phone already just ensure its in the root directory of the Internal SDCard (/mnt/sdcard)
    3. Reboot Phone in to Recovery Mode (Remember you will need Clock Work Mod Recovery to Install This)
    4. Scroll Down to Install .zip from sdcard and click either home or power button
    5. Scroll Down to Install .zip from Internal SDCard and click either the home or power button
    6. Scroll Down to the line that starts with Yes blah,blah,blah (This is ensuring that you want to apply this zip. Make sure this is what you truly want to do)
    7. Once installation is finished reboot the device
    8. Once device is rebooted goto: Setting-->More Settings-->Tethering and Portable Hotspots Now you see that your device has Bluetooth Tethering there as an option and you will now notice if you start the Portable Wifi Hotspot your phone does not tell you to call ATTs 611 to enable this service.
    9. Have fun tethering with your Galaxy S3 but remember if you aren't Grandfathered into ATTs Unlimited Data Limit then this means you do have a Data Limit and at the moment the highest they offer I believe is 2GB so any tethering being done on your phone will use your allocated Data Usage in a month and you may incur overage charges at $10.00 for each GB over 2GB. Even if you go 1MB over the 2GB data plan you will be charged the $10.00 so you might as well use the rest of the 1023MB available to you.

If you have any questions on this script please let me know. If you like this and find it usefull give some thumbs up please.

Tried this on my Sprint S3 and no luck… Got a red "SIGNATURE VERIFICATION FAILED"…
    Can u help me understand what this meant and why i got this..?? Anyway to create a zip file to work on the sprint version..?? Willing to PayPal a few $$ to get a solution to rid my error 67 when i try to activate my HotSpot… Reason being is i want to tether over Bluetooth due to its lower power consumption vs WiFi tether which is a battery killer…