Google Now Voice Commands *NEW 21/8/2013 *

Search This thread

VSurfn

Jul 31, 2013
Volume

After Google (voice search) update 8/24/2013, no volume adjustment on the siri voice. Galaxy tab 2 7 - JB 4.1.2 rooted.

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
Calling it Siri is a pretty good insult to Google now. I am just messing with ya, but in no way is "now" comparable to that know-nothing robot called Siri. :)

Reactions: Rasa11

VSurfn

Jul 31, 2013
Calling it Siri is a pretty good insult to Google now. I am just messing with ya, but in no way is "now" comparable to that know-nothing robot called Siri. :)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Appples propritary marketing.
If I go back to Google search everything works, Google Now (8/24/2013) has this bug on my device
Before I go and contact Google,,,,,,Anyone have the same issue with no volume control?

Last edited:

feeserface

Apr 28, 2011
Galaxy s3 Sending Double Text via Google V Commands

Hey all,

Title says it all. I'm rooted, but using stock touchwiz. Jelly Bean. I have google Now installed and am having this big problem. If I say "send wifey text hello" It sends my wife a "hello" text but it sends it either 2 times or 4 times.

Any help would be appreciated

All the best
F

H3RET1C

Sep 5, 2013
Thanks for this. Very helpful. Never really used Google's Voice commands cuz it always seemed kinda hit or miss. Will try it now and see :good:

kildon

Nov 15, 2010
Redoing search from results page

So I had heard that there was a keyword to get Google Now to redo a search from the results page if it got the voice recognition wrong the first time. I couldn't find it after multiple searches, so I decided to try some variation of "Google" or "ok Google" or something in some blind attempt to stumble on it. Apparently, the keyword is none of these. Finally, something possessed me to say "giggle"...and it worked. Was everyone else aware of this and I am just an idiot, or what?

EDIT: So now "ok Google" seems to be working, which was my original assumption that out was just mishearing "Google". Yet "Google" definitely wasn't working for retry at first, though it was working to initiate. Weird... (Maybe I am crazy!)

Last edited:

buddhafool

Jul 26, 2009
Ok I can "launch messaging" but is there a way to jump directly to view a text?

"Show me texts from friend-x" does not work.

Maybe "show me new text" if one just came in.

Is there it can read new texts to me?

nerys71

May 13, 2008
anyone know why the command (navigate to work) has stopped working? I can still say navigate to home but navigate to work now results in a google search for the words navigate to work. Grrrr

also anyway to RENAME the damned starred locations? I can rename them in google bookmarks but the "names" don't show up on the phone only the computer.

djdim

May 8, 2013
does anybody facing problem with Google Voice? I give the command
"Whats the weather in Athens"
and its doing web-search...instead of showing and announcing the result
the only good command is calling a person. All the others going to web search...

Last edited:

bso44

Oct 2, 2010
I used to be able to bring up a contact card by just saying my contact's name in Google Now but now it just does a Google search. Also, I could've sworn that I was able to navigate to a contact's address by saying "Navigate to [CONTACT NAME]" but that also just brings up a Google search.

Anyone know if that's something they changed?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to use Google Now on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy S3 or any Jellybean enabled Samsung device.

You can go ahead and skip these basic command tutorials if your familiar with Gnow but starting from 29/10/2012 a log list/new update features will be posted below this tutorial.

It can be launched in a couple of ways.

1.You can swipe up the Google icon from the lock screen shortcuts.

2.Selecting it from a long press of the home button.

3.Tap the Google Search bar/widget or hit the microphone icon on the search widget to initiate a voice-command search.

4.When your on Google Now, you can automatically do a quick search by its wakeup command ‘Google’ (*NOTE* it only works if the language is selected as English(US) for the time being).

Here’s a list of commands you'll need to be familiar with to get a better search results:

General Commands:

- “Search for ”
    - “What is ”
    - “Who invented ”
    - “What is the meaning of ”
    - “Who is married to”
    - “Capacity of ”
    - “Show me the stocks for ”
    - “Author of ”
    - “How old is ”

Examples:

“Search for Google Doodles ”
    “Meaning of Android”
    “Synonyms of visages”
    “Show stocks for Samsung electronic ”
    “How old is Larry Page”
    “Population of Bangalore”
    “Who is the CEO of Samsung”
    “How tall is Kobe Bryant”

Time & Date Commands

- “What time is it in ”
    - “When is the day in ”
    - “When is the sunset in ”
    - “What is the time zone of ”
    - “Time at home”

Examples:

“When is the father’s day in 2013”
    “Show me the time and date”
    “When does sun set in Chennai”
    “What time is it in Sydney”

Weather Commands:

- “Weather”
    - “Is it going to rain tomorrow”
    - “Do I need an umbrella”
    - “Should i bring a Jacket today"
    - “Will it snow this week”
    - “What’s the weather in ”
    - “How’s the weather on going to be”

Examples:

“Is it raining in New York”
    “Will it snow today”
    “What’s the weather in Colombo”
    “Is it raining outside”
    “Is there any rain expected for Friday”
    “Weather forecast for Wednesday”

Maps & Navigation Commands:

- “Map of ”
    - “Show me the nearby on map”
    - “Where is situated”
    - “ in ”
    - “Navigate to on car”
    - “How far is from ”

Examples:

“Where is the statue of liberty situated”
    “Show all hotels near me”
    “Bookstores in New York”
    “Take me to the convention center on foot”
    “Coffee bars in Madrid”
    “How far is the motorway from my current location”
    “When does the next train arrive”

Calculations & Conversions Commands:

- “How much is times ”
    - “What is percent of ”
    - “Square root of ”
    - “ ….. equals”
    - “What is the numerical value of Pi”
    - “Convert into ”
    - “Temperature of the sun”

Examples:

“How much is 57 point 78 minus 22”
    “65 plus 135 into 20 minus 18 equals”
    “Convert 36 degrees Celsius into Fahrenheit”
    “How many gallons in 1 kiloliter”
    “Convert 100 hours into minutes”
    “What is the 75 percent of 1 point 5 million”

Sports Commands:

- “ points table”
    - “Who won the last match between and ”
    - “ scorecard”
    - “schedule of games”
    - “”

Examples:

“Did the real madrid win last night”
    “Scorecard of last Real Madrid match”
    “La Liga table”
    “KaKa”

Web Navigation Commands:

- “Go to ”
    - “Open ”
    - “Show me ”
    - “Browse to ”

Examples:

“Open xda.com”
    “Show me CNN.com”
    “Take me to facebook.com”

Entertainment Commands:

- “Listen to ”
    - “Play ”
    - “YouTube ”
    - “When was the first episode of ”
    - “ movies”
    - “Who acted in ”
    - “Who is the producer of ”
    - “When was released”
    - “Runtime of ”

Examples:

“Play YouTube Smosh FOOD BATTLE 2012”
    “the cast of The Avengers”
    “Movies of Leonardo Di Caprio”
    “Who produced The departed”

Notes & Reminders Commands:

- “Remind me to at ”
    - “Wake me up in ”
    - “ at ”
    - “Self note to ”
    - “Set alarm for ”

Examples:

“Water the plants in one hour”
    “Set an alarm for 2 hours from now”
    “Remind me to call Bill in 45 minutes”
    “Pick up kids from school at 3 P M”
    “Note to self ”

Note: Reminders based on days are not yet supported, so you’ll have to make do with time-based reminders for the current day only. Also, ‘Notes to self’ commands can be used to email the audio message-oriented notes to your own ID

Contact & Communication Commands:

- “Call ”
    - “Send to ”
    - “” (shows the contact card)
    - “Call in ”
    - “Email to , B C C , Subject , message ”

Examples:

“Send email to Ian, Subject, post fix, Message, BLAH,BLAH”
    “Send SMS to dad mobile please call me A S A P”
    “Call help center”
    “Send I cannot come right now to Erin via text”

NOTE: Google Now voice commands can be used to place calls in offline mode, too.

Image Search Commands:

- “Images/photos/pictures of ”
    - “Photos of at sunset”
    - “Images of ”
    - “Show me the photos of at ”
    - “Logo of ”

Examples:

“Photos of mars”
    “Images of the Earth from moon”
    “Pictures of Eiffel Tower at sunrise”

Flight Schedules & Status Commands:

- “Flight Status of ”
    - “Has landed/departed”
    - “When will land”

Examples:

“Status of B A 215”
    “When Is Emirates 230 going to depart”
    “Air Canada 760”

Easter-Egg Commands:

- “Do a barrel roll”
    - “What the meaning of life the universe and everything else”

Note:

Here's a tip for the non US Google Now Users.

If Google now is having a hard time recognising your voice commands select the voice of your country for example India (English)

Here's an example why
    English(US)
    How old is betab buchen

English(IN)
    How old is amitabh bachchan

How to change the voice language

1. Open Google now-settings-voice-language.
    2. Phone Settings- language and input- Language.

NEW UPDATE (29/10/2012)

- Google Now works with Gmail (English only)
    - Flights
    - Restaurant reservations
    - Hotel confirmations
    - Events
    - Packages
    -News related articles you read recently
    - A Birthday wish from Google (I have my birthday coming up next month ill post an image after that)
    - New Now cards: nearby attractions & photo spots, movies opening in theaters, concerts & more
    - New voice actions: launch apps, schedule meetings & check when your next appointment.

Brief info about the Gmail Google now integration :

From now a separate subsection for cards that are pulled from your email. Such as packages, flights, hotels, restaurant reservations and event bookings can all be accessed via cards if you give Google permission to scan your correspondance for relevant bits of data. If you're uncomfortable with that, yet still want to use Google Now, you can selectively disable individual cards.

NEW UPDATE (6/12/2012)
    - Newer input search animation faster than before
    - New events nearby look
    - boarding passes directly from barcode scanner(only available for the u.s and United Airlines for the moment)
    - monthly summary of walking and biking using location services
    - Search by camera (Google goggles and barcode)

New voice inputs

You can now post to Google +
    You can search for songs by saying "what is this song or identity this song"(BUG)
    You can now barcode things.
    You can activate search by camera saying "what is this"

Brief info about Search by camera, bar code scanner and song identification BUG

Gnow is integrated with a camera search feature, to activate open google now-click on settings-select search by camera or tap the mic and say "what is this".

Google has embedded Google goggles to find interesting information on anything you have just seen in a museum or a monument. A nifty new feature has been added you can now scan barcodes with thre search by camera feature.

For ex:-

I can now barcode the boarding pass( United Airlines only at the moment ) and Gnow provide details about my current destination such as weather, currency and flight info.

Song identification bug

Gnow has a bug that couldn't recognise what I meant by saying "what is this song" it gives me either a search results or it gives me the definition of "this song".

NEW UPDATE (13/12/2012)

-Speech rate has been decreased.

After comparing 6/12/2012 update and 13/12/2012 update on s3 and note 2.

- News related articles works.
    - Expandable notification on the status bar (for ex time from home has a navigation slider) both the updates has this feature.
    - The input search seems a bit faster on 13/12/2012
    - Search by camera feature command seems to trigger the definition of "this" instead of opening the camera.

Bug list

Song search
    *(NEW)*Search by camera command

NEW UPDATE (14/2/2013)

Google just pushed an update to its Search app . Among the new additions are the Google Now widget that we've all been hearing so much about, movie ratings, the ability to pull up movie passes purchased from Fandango, and real estate listings from Zillow when Google thinks you're in the market for a home. Now that's fancy. Additionally, the update also adds a music button when a song is playing in voice mode, though that feature is currently limited to the U.S. only. It also adds support for U.S. college sports. We've seen some of this integration before, but now it's official. Also, unfortunately it seems that the movie ratings (powered by Rotten Tomatoes) only shows up on the movies card which will only appear on certain days. Searching for a movie directly doesn't pull up a handy card with ratings and relevant info yet, unfortunately. Still holding out hope for that one.

Over-View

The music button is particularly interesting as it all but completely eliminates the need for a separate music search widget since you can easily access song matching by tapping on the voice icon on the Google Search widget (assuming you use it) just the same as you would to perform any other voice action. Handy!

NEW UPDATE (15/05/2013)

Google Now for Android has been updated with a few new features, though they're pretty awesome ones. First, voice reminders are finally live - you can now say, for example, "remind me to buy milk this evening" or "remind me to take out the trash when I get home." I think we can all agree that's kind of amazing.

The second new feature is suggested content, in the form of upcoming books, music, TV, and video games you might be interested in. Presumably, this is based on your email and search history. Finally, real-time public transit updates are coming for select cities. Nice! Some of these features - like reminders - don't actually seem to be working yet, so hold tight if you're not seeing them. The official Now card list has been updated accordingly.

Here's the full changelog:

For Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean):

- Reminders (e.g. say "remind me to buy milk this evening", "remind me to take out the trash when I get home")
    - Upcoming books, music albums, tv shows and video games you may like
    - Real time public transit updates (select cities)
    - Last train home (Japan only)

NEW UPDATE (31/05/2013) Coming soon

This morning, Google announced that they will now display nutritional information from the Knowledge Graph in Google Search. Once live, you should find “extensive nutrition information for over 1,000 fruits, vegetables, meats and meals in search,” from both the web and your mobile device you should be able to ask your device specific nutrition questions and have it respond back to you. When you ask Google “how many carbs are in corn?” it should respond while also providing a card with quick information, much like you see with other Google voice searches.

The service will launch in English first and will rollout out in the U.S. only over the next 10 days.

NEW UPDATE (26/06/2013)

What's in this version:
    For Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean):
    - Information about shows you're watching on your internet-connected TV (US only)*
    - Saved offers when nearby a redemption location
    - New voice action: play music from your phone or the Play Store
    - Voice actions tips
    * Requires phone/tablet to be on the same network as your TV

NEW UPDATE (21/08/2013)

There is a new Google Search update rolling out, and it's bringing a bunch of new functionality to Google Now. There are new cards for car rentals, concert tickets, commute sharing, NCAA football, updated transit, new TV info, and better reminders. It's like we're drowning in cards here.

Here's the full list of new and improved cards from the official Android Google+ account:

Car rentals card: Get reservation details and directions to the rental center directly in Google Now, which together with the boarding pass and hotel reservation cards, makes Google Now your ultimate travel companion.

Concert ticket card: Going to a concert? Google Now will have your event ticket ready when you arrive at the venue; along with popular, locally relevant websites, such as the upcoming events page for the venue.

Improved public transit cards: If you regularly take public transit, Google Now will now inform you about the last train or bus to home so you never miss it.

Commute sharing card: When leaving work, you can now choose to inform your loved ones that you are on your way home. Learn more at http://goo.gl/bVUkLY

Set reminders while you search: When searching for music artists, movie actors, filmmakers and TV shows on Google, you’ll see a new “remind me” button on the panel by the search results. Click on it and a Google Now reminder will show up for new albums, book releases or upcoming TV episodes.

Updated TV card: Google Now can tell you about the news mentioned and music playing in the TV show you’re watching, in addition to program information and people mentioned in show. Simply tap on the TV card if you have a smart TV or tap on the mic and say "listen to TV”.
    NCAA football scores: Football season is about to start, and Google Now has you covered--you can now see real-time scores for your favorite NCAA team in Google Now.

A lot of this, like the car rental and concert ticket cards, will likely rely on pulling data from Gmail. The new reminders will be based entirely on what you're searching for.

The commute sharing sounds kind of magical, but setup is weird. You can enable it by going into the Google Now traffic settings and turn on commute updates. Then add people under the "Choose who can see your location using Google+" setting. In Google+ the pinpoint location section is the one you need to add your trusted folks to. Yeah, it's kind of convoluted, but neat.

Can't wait side load the APK of v2.7.9.789824 , Android 4.1+,http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877490001320 -14,872,254 bytes - sources and thanks, Android Police!).
    Most of us may feel awkward about this guide. But it is truly helpful to lot of us.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you for this thread

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app
    For people having problem accessing Google now, try swipe pad free from market, assign Google now to one of the slot,n then u can do all sort of things with it,bcoz swipe pad is accessible from any app u r running its easy,quick, bcoz pressing home button its a pain on note 2, and on most device,thnks for the guide

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium