G2 D802 VS NOTE 3 N9005
I hope and I believe this post might be useful for someone who is deciding between G2 (D802 UK Model) and Note 3 (N9005 UK model).I have been following this thread for a long time and read all opinions in these forums, but never wrote any opinions. Short Version for the answer is, I have picked Note 3 over G2 after using both for 2 weeks. I have also used S4, S3, Note 1,Note 2, Htc One and S2 quite a lot so am aware of the pitfalls of Samsung devices.
Long Version and my reasons are below and these are only my opinions.
LG G2 Pros (G2 over Note 3)
1) Screen whites are clear white and LCD screen is very good. Especially reading books and web you will see clear whites.
2) Knock on feature to lock and unlock is the most used feature and once you start using it , you will start thinking how good it is and may
be all android devices copy this feature. I actually started knocking other devices now and trying to mimic this feature on note 3 with some 3rd party apps and as you all know they are not the same and don't work that well.
3) Bluetooth sound on my planatronics voyager hd is better for some reason on G2. More clear and high volume.
4) Wifi and mobile signal is really good , more than note 3. I guess its atleast one bar more on G2. Call quality is also very good.
5) Single hand usage is really good and its almost a perfect device. (Almost perfect !!! -- reason in cons.)
6) Lots of customisation options like multi wallpaper, zooming in for sms windows and themes in G2 stock rom. I actually
give more marks to G2 stock launcher. G2 Keyboard is also good.
7) Battery life is really good. I use mobile devices to watch atleast 2 hours of video in a day and not a single day its completely finished.
8) Camera pics are really good in day light and good in night time when there is sufficient light.
9) Back buttons are also nice , some might prefer and some might not.
1) G2 looks beautiful from front, but back is ugly , plasticky , cheap and damn slippery. Reason almost perfect is because if they made the
back more textured or grippable , they would have sold may be more devices. I actually find handling note 3 easier sometimes as note 3
device textured back is really useful. People call samsung plastic, but note 3 build quality is really really good. LG back sometimes make a
creaking sound and if you drop I can guarantee that G2 will break rather than note 3 due to edge screen on G2. Actually I feel that I will
drop G2 more quickly than Note 3.
2) Inside the house the low light pics are horrible and full of noise. This surprised me and I am disappointed with camera on low light
pictures. One more thing I have noticed the G2 camera pictures sometimes have blue hue to the picture.
3) Video recording ,,,,, oh my dog ! Am not sure what to say about it, its bad, it keeps auto focusing every 2 seconds to a point where it
gets really annoying. Am note sure how this has gone through QA testing from the company. I was really looking forward for camera, but
my kids videos all have come really bad.
4) To my surprise even though the screen is crisp and clear and good for reading, I did not enjoy watching movies on LG G2 screen. I
guess am used to Amoled pure blacks while watching movies. And also if you just view the screen even with a little angle of 20 degrees ,
the viewing on screen becomes real bad.
5) Outdoor viewing is OK but not great.Screen is really shiny outdoors and am actually a bit surprised that outdoor visibility is not great
compared to HTC One or Note 3. (Note 3 really surprised me outdoors)
6) No sdcard and battery, I know its not a con for some people but after using lot of galaxy phone am kind of used to have all my books
and movies on sdcard. Convenience can sometimes be a con for people like me.
7) On screen buttons look ugly while playing some games. Some people prefer this but I dont.
8) G2 somehow feels heavy and its around 140 grams approximately.
9) I have been waiting for an OTA update for so long , but with past history of LG not doing software updates quick enough, I really have
some reservations about their record.
NOTE 3 over LG G2 (Note 3 Pros)
1) Oh my God ! Screen is really beautiful and crisp, its like a small LED tv on your hand. Absolutely brilliant, not sure why I prefer this over G2 I
prefer actually reading news on Note 3.
2) Textured back and lightweight make it really really useful and this is only 24 or 28 grams more than G2. To my surprise I really liked
the leather textured plastic back which make note 3 easier to grip as well. Build quality is really good and no creaking noise anywhere.
3) Amoled screen, Watching hd movies on this screen is really great. Colour saturation can be a bit more on standard setting, but if you
choose professional mode you will see a lot of difference. May be am biased here but once you watch movies on Amoled screen, its difficult
to go back to LCD. I think the best display quality is HTC One, but htc one has got too many other headaches which am not going to
4) Outdoor visibility really is nice now and I dont have to worry , its clear and actually better than G2.
5) S-Pen is really more useful now than before and the handwriting recognition improved quite a lot. This is really a very productive feature
if you really use Citrix xenapp and remote desktop to check office work extra. For me this is where S-Pen is really useful. Air view touch is
6) Video recording quality is really very good when compared to G2, No auto focus issues and I have taken 4k recording and slow motion
videos and they are really good.
7) Camera picture quality for indoors is better than G2.
8) I have already got 3 OTA updates in a week and I guess this is where Samsung scores high marks and software updates are really quick
from Samsung compared to G2.
9) Speakers are good and better than G2.
10) Once you are used to Sdcard and the option of extra battery, its really hard to go back to the closed world. Old habits die hard.
Note 3 cons:
1) It feels big and is big. Sometimes my hands get tired if I try to use too long. I really wish width was a little lesser. But am negating this
issue by using gestures via 3rd party apps. But definitely feels bigger than G2.
2) If you are like me and use the phone on commuting in undergrounds, using with single hand can be difficult. This is where G2 scores
high.(G2 is also slippery but fits in hand)
3) Camera is OK in low light conditions, but not great. Not that impressed here. Default settings are changed in video mode and camera mode and its really annoying as I had to go through lot of settings to get it right.
4) They have removed some features like Popup browser, Eye Scrolling and Air view on browsers compared to Note 2. I don't use these
features other than popup browser but these features can be useful for others.
5) Bluetooth sound is low compared to G2.
6) Wifi quality and signal quality are always one bar lesser than G2.
Conclusion: After using both for a solid 2 weeks I have decided to go for NOTE 3. Ultimately the features for productivity, convenience of
sdcard and battery, display quality , and the timely software updates won me over the G2. And this is all for 50 pounds more.
Hope this might be helpful for some.