CWM - Xperia Ion [updated with Cwm for JB]

Search This thread

ganeshbiyer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
Usual Disclaimer: I am not responsible for bricking your device!

For Locked and Unlocked Boot Loaders.

CWM Recovery for ICS
Credit to @popfan for making this work

RECOVERY_for_XperiaIon_v.4.zip

CWM Recovery for JB
Credit to @cray_Doze and @DooMLoRD

CWM6_Ganesh_Jb_Xperia ION_v1.zip

Requires: (ICS & JB)
- rooted phone
- adb debug enabled
- busybox installed
- unknown sources enabled

How to install:
- download your version of cwm from above.
- unzip it into a folder.
- there are batch files for windows users and also for linux users in both the zips.
- just execute the batch files and follow the messages if any.

How to enter CWM:

(ICS)
- boot the phone
- tap continuously on the sony logo to enter cwm.

(JB)
- let the phone boot
- at sony logo, the phone will vibrate
- a blue led lights up
- press volume up immediately and keep pressing for a few seconds
- the CWM does not come up immediately. after a few seconds delay, press vol up or vol down.
- you will enter CWM recovery.

Last edited:

ganeshbiyer

Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
@popfan

Do we need to do the whole rooting process again?
Since the rest of the steps seem to remain the same, Could we just move the recovery.tar file to /system/bin.
Would that be okay or do i need to do something else.

I tried to just move the recovery.tar using root explorer, restarted the phone and tapping on the Sony logo, did not go any where. Did not even boot.

fcb13

Nov 10, 2010
Just ran the installer in RECOVERY for XperiaIon - v2.zip. CWM runs fine for me. Maybe ill flash a boot animation or something to really check if its working..

EDIT: Did not work, i get "installation aborted" when i tried to install a XPS bootanimation.zip

Last edited:

jeriku

Mar 2, 2012
Looks like it installed fine. Running a back up now. This is really great work!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Well, the back up looked like is was running fine until the end, then it started wigging out. Warnings of "Xperia Home stopping" kept flashing up. I finally had to hard reboot to get it unstuck. I don't know if the back up it created is viable.

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
Just ran the installer in RECOVERY for XperiaIon - v2.zip. CWM runs fine for me. Maybe ill flash a boot animation or something to really check if its working..

EDIT: Did not work, i get "installation aborted" when i tried to install a XPS bootanimation.zip

I'm curious to know... The zip file you are trying to load for the Bootanimation... Was it edited to be compatible with the Ion, or is this one from the other device that you just tried to flash?

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

I'm curious to know... The zip file you are trying to load for the Bootanimation... Was it edited to be compatible with the Ion, or is this one from the other device that you just tried to flash?

I think for a quick test, and to ensure the file is signed properly... Someone should try something from here: http://uot.dakra.lt/
Maybe just a boot animation, or perhaps a battery mod.

I will later if no one else has, but I have work for another 9 or so hours...So I can't do it at this current moment.

fcb13

Nov 10, 2010
It is a working bootanimation that is for the Xperia S, which has the same screen resolution as our ION.

Reactions: mr.lolo

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
It is a working bootanimation that is for the Xperia S, which has the same screen resolution as our ION.

Where does the Xperia S store the boot animation? This is just one of many things that could be the issue.

the problem with boot animations, custom themes, etc, is you have to make sure the phone you are flashing it to can read the code. There may be just a slight variance somewhere within that zip file that the Ion may not understand. that's why I suggested trying one from the online theme kitchen, as you upload your own files there, and it creates the zip for you, based on your own system files.

I'm sure this is just a minor glitch, and is nothing more than finding that one piece that's missing. I've confidence we can get this working! :D

ganeshbiyer

Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
Where does the Xperia S store the boot animation? This is just one of many things that could be the issue.

the problem with boot animations, custom themes, etc, is you have to make sure the phone you are flashing it to can read the code. There may be just a slight variance somewhere within that zip file that the Ion may not understand. that's why I suggested trying one from the online theme kitchen, as you upload your own files there, and it creates the zip for you, based on your own system files.

I'm sure this is just a minor glitch, and is nothing more than finding that one piece that's missing. I've confidence we can get this working! :D

should be /system/media

popfan

Jan 26, 2011
I tried to flash the nandroid backup 5.8 and it did not work either. It didn't error, just does not register in the system.

accts

Feb 21, 2012
Evergreen State
I was able to access CWM, however when choose to install zip. It's directly go into internal SD ? I get used to install from SD-External, can we change that to default ?

Edit: Tried battery Mod - didn't register to the system. Everything is the same old, nothing changed.

Last edited:

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
Has anyone checked to see that the files being flashed are in fact going where they are supposed to go, just not working? Meaning... accts, you flashed the battery mod... I know it didn't work, but did the recovery actually put the files where they should be?

You will have to pull your Framwork-Res.apk and extract it to check...

accts

Feb 21, 2012
Evergreen State
Has anyone checked to see that the files being flashed are in fact going where they are supposed to go, just not working? Meaning... accts, you flashed the battery mod... I know it didn't work, but did the recovery actually put the files where they should be?

You will have to pull your Framwork-Res.apk and extract it to check...

uhm...I wouldn't know that - I meant where the recovery installed to ? I know my zip file tell it where to go to, but does CWM does it job - go figure :) ... After flashing - I used Root explorer to check the file, the date/size is the original. So I figured it didn't register using CWM.

FYI: UOT-Kitchen doesn't work in this case, framework-res.apk doesn't register on their server. It will give an error as the result. What I tried was using the Xperia S mod (like other was saying - this had the same resolution & similar spec. with ION).

Last edited:

ganeshbiyer

Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
I was able to access CWM, however when choose to install zip. It's directly go into internal SD ? I get used to install from SD-External, can we change that to default ?

Edit: Tried battery Mod - didn't register to the system. Everything is the same old, nothing changed.

What are the contents of the battery mod?
If the mod is for deodexed rom, it wont work as our rom is not deodexed.
Cwm is not concerened as to where you dump the files. It is the updater script that takes care of this. Cwm just facilitates.

Sent from my LT28h using xda premium

Last edited:

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
What are the contents of the battery mod?
If the mod is for deodexed rom, it wont work as our rom is not deodexed.
Cwm is not concerened as to where you dump the files. It is the updater script that takes care of this. Cwm just facilitates.

Sent from my LT28h using xda premium

The updater script... For the Xperia S, is the file structure the same, or close enough to work, with Ion? I'm sorry, I'm not at home, so I'm unable to do my own testing at this time. :(

Also, has anyone tried a direct inject? That's what I call it... Try to physically replace the bootanimation.zip, without using recovery... Just to see if the phone will even read it... (If no one else has tried this, I will when I get home.)

And finally... Can the FTF not be de-odexed, then repackaged before using the flashtool? (Forgive my ignorance on FTF files... This is my first phone to use them)

Bach415

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks for this pops. Took two tries using the install.bat before it actually enabled cwm for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWM - Xperia Ion

Mod Edit - > As popfan requested ownership of this thread has been transferred to ganeshbiyer the original files he uploaded are below
    Usual Disclaimer: I am not responsible for bricking your device!

For Locked and Unlocked Boot Loaders.

CWM Recovery for ICS
    Credit to @popfan for making this work

RECOVERY_for_XperiaIon_v.4.zip

CWM Recovery for JB
    Credit to @cray_Doze and @DooMLoRD

CWM6_Ganesh_Jb_Xperia ION_v1.zip

Requires: (ICS & JB)
    - rooted phone
    - adb debug enabled
    - busybox installed

How to install:
    - download your version of cwm from above.
    - unzip it into a folder.
    - there are batch files for windows users and also for linux users in both the zips.
    - just execute the batch files and follow the messages if any.

How to enter CWM:

(ICS)
    - boot the phone
    - tap continuously on the sony logo to enter cwm.

(JB)
    - let the phone boot
    - at sony logo, the phone will vibrate
    - a blue led lights up
    - press volume up immediately and keep pressing for a few seconds
    - the CWM does not come up immediately. after a few seconds delay, press vol up or vol down.
    - you will enter CWM recovery.

Internal and External SD Cards working from CWM Recovery

I made some changed to recovery.fstab, now recovery shows separate entries for external and internal sd.:good: (DooMLoRD's tip)
    Now both the internal and external sd cards are working from cwm recovery.:D
    The external sd card partition is /dev/block/mmcbkl1p1

RECOVERY for XperiaIon v.4.zip

Flashing:
    Unzip the content of the zip.
    For windows use install.bat
    For linux use install.sh

@popfan, could you please update the op with this release.
    Updated OP with CWM6 for JB. (Locked and unlocked phones) :victory:

Requires:
    - rooted phone
    - adb debug enabled
    - busybox installed
    Any advantage of having dual recoveries?
    Not really, lol.

Here it is. It was made for locked bootloaders so it's not recommended on unlocked due to how easy it can be wiped from device.

All the credit for original recovery package goes to _SiL_ at 4pda.ru.
    TWRP recovery for ion is compiled by ganeshbiyer.

Also, as noted by author of original recovery there can be some problems with formatting failing in CWM. After 50 downloads of ion package at 4pda no one reported any bugs.