USB disk drive causes XP explorer hang

Search This thread

Davey101

Jul 29, 2008
Nottingham
Sorry if this has been covered - I searched and googled with no success.

When I try to connect my Diamond as a USB disk drive it causes windows explorer to hang (Win XP SP2) and it only unfreezes when the USB is unplugged.

This happened with 2 different diamonds (I sent the first one back because of another problem) with both the stock Orange UK ROM and Dutty's 1.8 ROM. It seems to work fine on some other PCs. I would say it was a PC issue but it's not an isolated case - I've seen it happen with a friend's Diamond too, on his work laptop.

Edit: I should mention, it sometimes unfreezes and starts working if left connected for several minutes!

Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,
Dave

Davey101

Jul 29, 2008
Nottingham
Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't think it was an issue that would affect all computers, however I have personally witnessed it with 3 different Diamonds and 2 different PCs so I'm guessing somebody else must know about it.

I don't want to reinstall XP with no idea whether it will help so I guess my next step is to see if any other USB devices could be affecting it.

Davey101

Jul 29, 2008
Nottingham
I think I've resolved it :)

I had to unplug my WD external HDD. This is a slight pain because it contains all of the media that I want to copy on to the Diamond!