Try ART

Search This thread

Crooke356

Jun 30, 2011
Indianapolis
They don't like selling them like that because they don't get any commission on it. The commission is completely tied to the contract...at least it was when I sold Verizon phones.

Still is.. I asked why he was trying so hard not to sell me the phone. It wasn't the first day I was in there that he answered honestly, but when I went to get my replacement. He said they were low on stock and didn't want to lose a sale (and wasting time on 0 commission and missing potential customers while dealing with me). While I appreciated the honesty, it was still upsetting to hear. It put many previous experiences into perspective.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
For what it's worth, I tried ART for a week. Am not impressed. Had more Force Closes and Long Processes with that version.. I hope that if I have to root that way, it doesn't screw things up to bad.

Crooke356

Jun 30, 2011
Indianapolis
For what it's worth, I tried ART for a week. Am not impressed. Had more Force Closes and Long Processes with that version.. I hope that if I have to root that way, it doesn't screw things up to bad.

Yea, I'm finding it a lackluster experience on my S5 as well. I think it's touch wiz. All the modifications are not yet optimized for it. Runs very well on my N5 and M8.

As for the "custom" branding, I don't think it has anything to do with finding an exploit. Running art is a significantly different way of storing cache and running apps when compared to dalvik. Think of all the features TW has and all the optimizations that go into to making the OS run smooth in conjunction with said features. That's a big reason lag has been an issue in the past. Not so much because of hardware but the optimizations that are needed to make everything work smoothly. Samsung has worked long and hard on getting their skin to operate well with dalvik. Not so much with ART. The "custom" label is present for, IMO, 2 possible reasons.

1) an extra warning to users that things may not be as smooth as the intended dalvik runtime and while the option is available, it's not recommended. By choosing ART, you've went "custom".

2) Samsung has coded their OS to look for tampering. Maybe ART is so different from dalvik, that the OS recognizes it as " tampering ". The main reason for the " custom " label is for those who are trouble shooting the device. They see it, they know to look for certain things that will aid in their trouble shooting. I've no doubt Samsung recognized this before releasing but may have decided it worked to their advantage for all the reasons I've stated above.

Again, I don't believe this will, in any way, aid in gaining root. That said, I'm no expert and could be wrong, wrong, wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts