News: HTC to retire QWERTY from its future plans

Search This thread

o>c

Feb 24, 2010
Hong Kong
Ok, that simply stops me from waiting, lets break up HTC, thanks for the happy time with the G1 and G2, now I can wait for Xperia P without any worry.

virtualflyer

Mar 16, 2011
I think we may see more qwerty phones from HTC... I've had a nexus one for about half a year befoe switching to desire z, mostly for the qwerty keyboard, soft keyboard had big problems on the nexus one and most of all it often covers all the screen

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I think we may see more qwerty phones from HTC... I've had a nexus one for about half a year befoe switching to desire z, mostly for the qwerty keyboard, soft keyboard had big problems on the nexus one and most of all it often covers all the screen

You're probably right. We'll see something from them sometime but this isn't comforting news for those waiting to replace their Desire Z/G2. I remember hearing alot of complains about the Nexus One's touch screen so that could just be coincidental. My hope is that typing will be easier on screen with these 4" or larger screens compared to on screen typing on our models. Not like we'll have much of a choice on our next model phone especially us early adapters of the DZ/G2. Oh well, maybe someone (manufacturer) will step up and make that high end qwerty model we have been anticipating? :confused:

Last edited:

crestofawave

Dec 17, 2011
Heraklion
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
The average joe wants an iphoneish style smartphone. That's what every popular manufacturer is going to make. We're going to see little H/W keyboard phones and I doubt any of them will have an S4 or a T3 SoC on it. Even if those actually come out too they won't have a dev scene such as the DZ's.

Just diappointing.

Reactions: sino8r

river-dragon

Feb 19, 2011
Well, this clears out my doubts about not choosing a new qwerty phone. Even though I like my Desire Z I still feel the keyboard is a step back compared to the Dream/G1, which was far more comfortable and felt sturdier.

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
This sucks was looking forward to a g3. If they release the one s in white like the one x I'll get it but if not then gs3 white it is

Dutchman01

Jul 17, 2011
This sucks,

HTC should release the HTC One Z as soon as possible!

If HTC does think i buy a new phone without a keybord!
Hé than you are wrong! I will do another year with my Desire Z.

jacakk

Dec 8, 2011
Wrocław
conclusion

it's simply: the best keyboard is hardware keyboard! screen keyboard sucks.

I always wanted a good phone with hardware keyboard, that's why I bought Desire Z.
HTC please make One Z ! :)

setspeed

May 4, 2009
The average joe wants an iphoneish style smartphone. That's what every popular manufacturer is going to make. We're going to see little H/W keyboard phones and I doubt any of them will have an S4 or a T3 SoC on it. Even if those actually come out too they won't have a dev scene such as the DZ's.

Just diappointing.

I'd argue that any high-ish end qwerty that was fully rootable might get dev support at this point - plenty of devs like having a proper keyboard which is why they jumped on the DZ instead of DHD which had more RAM (admittedly DHD had it's own issues **cough**battery life**cough**).

Well, this clears out my doubts about not choosing a new qwerty phone. Even though I like my Desire Z I still feel the keyboard is a step back compared to the Dream/G1, which was far more comfortable and felt sturdier.

I liked the 5 row keyboard on the G1, but the massive lump at the bottom/right hand side which you had to get used to being in the way sure was a pain. I find my DZ more natural and comfortable to hold.

This sucks,

HTC should release the HTC One Z as soon as possible!

If HTC does think i buy a new phone without a keybord!
Hé than you are wrong! I will do another year with my Desire Z.

I totally agree, this DOES suck. Unfortunately I don't know how much longer I can put up with my DZ - I find it annoying that programs are falling out of memory so quickly for me and then having to reload when I launch them again. Something with 1gig of RAM and a dual or quad-core sure is appealing at the moment. And as much as I hate on-screen keyboards, I've been forcing myself to use them exclusively for the last few weeks. I will probably be able to cope with Swype (although I think that writing long emails on my phone will have to be a thing of the past). And the ICS keyboard is also pretty damn good these days, compared to what Froyo and GB gave us - I find the prediction really good. Still crap compared to physical qwerty though o_0

Last edited:
Reactions: tarroyo

rwitmer

Apr 3, 2009
Realizing that there isn't going to be an HTC G-3 with a keyboard in my future I took a look at the Droid 4. Verizon does have a faster network here in Utah so moving away from T-Mobile might not be so bad.

Those Motorola bastards put in a non-user replaceable battery! Sure there isn't any battery that techies cannot replace, but I just read a review of how hard the battery is to remove.

This really really sucks HTC!

river-dragon

Feb 19, 2011
I liked the 5 row keyboard on the G1, but the massive lump at the bottom/right hand side which you had to get used to being in the way sure was a pain. I find my DZ more natural and comfortable to hold.
You are totally right about that, I almost forgot! But I'll never get used to the way our qwerty forces us to write numbers, try to dial an ip address: right Fn+1, left Fn+9, right Fn+2, Dot...

amp

Nov 6, 2010
This only implicates our anticipation of a Google/Moto Nexus with a Droid Razr's battery capacity and a keyboard. There is no such thing as thin profile over battery capacity. You can definitely have both.

river-dragon

Feb 19, 2011
Or you could just push Fn twice to keep it locked... :p
But then I wouldn't be able to write the dot (at least on my Italian keyboard, I don't know how the english one works), and I would have to press Fn to go back to non-special chars, then the dot, then Fn twice to write the numbers - either way, it isn't great :)

desmi

Apr 25, 2012
You can press and hold the fn button and release it when you type the dot.

JMcMoto

Jul 27, 2010
The G1 was released in October 2008 for Tmobile

The G2 was released in October 2010 for Tmobile

The G3 will be released in October 2012 - hopefully with a full number pad on the Qwerty.

If this does not happen, you can count Tmobile and HTC as both just plain stupid because a lot of people will probably be finishing up their 2 year commitment from this phone and ready for the next one.

tarroyo

Apr 5, 2007
Hidden Hills, CA
The G1 was released in October 2008 for Tmobile

The G2 was released in October 2010 for Tmobile

The G3 will be released in October 2012 - hopefully with a full number pad on the Qwerty.

If this does not happen, you can count Tmobile and HTC as both just plain stupid because a lot of people will probably be finishing up their 2 year commitment from this phone and ready for the next one.

If there is a G3 HTC won't be making it, T-Mobile over the past yr and a half have moved away from qwerty devices so the chances of them getting one are slim.

Every phone that I've had in the past 7 yrs was made by HTC from the MDA to the Wing to the Touch Pro 2 to the G2.

I'll wait a year from now to see if HTC makes any moves, If not I'll be copping a Droid 4 by that time T-Mobile should have there 1900 4G bands worked out! Sadly HTC has forgotten about its Loyal customers.

Reactions: amp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They need a new desire Z-like phone based off the One S!!!

Almost as if they have caught the Nokia flu then?
    Panic, panic and then some panic? Let's hope they don't announce abandoning Android and betting everything on Microsoft and for example thin-thin phones.
    :rolleyes:
    Seriously, the hardware keyboard is not on it's way out. No way. When machines can read our minds maybe.

Bought my 2nd DZ (brand new) a few weeks ago :D , a phone without a physical keyboard isn't an option for me.
    Well, the statement in the article (even if its confirmed) doesn't make any claim to the length of time they are talking about (just "future plans"). If anything, HTC has shown in the past few months that they are willing to change direction quickly in order to compete. May very well only be a present and near future plan. And while this does seem to sink hopes of finding a suitable QWERTY replacement for the Z/G2 anytime soon, I have no doubt that HTC would quickly change this stance at a later time, if they had reason to believe there was good enough demand for phones with hardware keyboards.

As for competitors with QWERTY smartphones, just my opinion that all other manufacturers tend to disappoint me with their build quality. Motorola handsets often look great on paper, and even ok in photos, but always feel like cheap plasticky crap, with clunky keyboards once in hand. Similarly, Samsung and LG continue to feel lower in build quality to most HTC products.

But on that same note, its disappointing to see HTC take the "slimmer, lighter" route with their flagship One X line. Haven't actually held one in hand yet, but I have a feeling the polycarbonate body just isn't going to feel as sturdy as HTC's aluminum body designs. I've read a number complaints about the weight of aluminum body phones, and the popular trend is obviously thinner & lighter. But I actually like to have some heft to the phone. Aluminum body phones just look nicer, and feel more durable than skinny light plastic phones. And I don't understand why people make such a big deal about weight anyway. It doesn't make any difference when its sitting in your pocket. And if you get tired holding something that weighs a few ounces, you should probably exercise more.

There's only two on that list I like....on page 2... the desire z and g2

This wouldn't surprise me one bit. HTC has been making one stupid decision after the another. The One Series with non removable batteries or storage is extremely flawed thinking. I know they have been struggling lately compared to Samsung, Motorola, etc... But simplifying phones isn't the answer. Making fewer, more higher quality phones sounds good (and is something they should stick with) but not at the cost of losing features to make it 1mm thinner! Who knows with these stupid phone manufacturers though?! They might change their minds/direction again in a few months lol! I don't think they even know what they want! :D I'm really starting to lose faith in HTC whether this story is true or not.