Additional power and external storage - advice, please!

Search This thread

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
Fingers crossed :fingers-crossed: my shiny new HTC One should be arriving tomorrow. Thanks to HTC's idiotic decision not to supply either a removable battery or a memory card slot, I am going to need both some form of external storage that the phone can access - perhaps a flash drive accessed via OTG, but I'm open to other suggestions - and an external battery/charger of some kind; and (which may be the tricky part) it has to be possible to access both of these things simultaneously.

With regards to power, capacity is clearly important (i.e. the number of mAh held) but it does also need to be reasonably portable - not something that weighs over a pound! - and, if at all possible, it should be something that can be charged or replenished very quickly. Ideally it should be able to charge the phone's internal battery as fast as a mains charger can.

For storage, I need a decent amount - 32GB is the absolute minimum, but 64GB or more would be better. It would also be helpful to have something not too big and heavy (I'll be carrying it around at all times). And, if possible, it should also be fast - especially when transferring files from a PC.

I may be acquiring a case at some point as well - not sure about that yet.

Advice, please! :)

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm somewhat tempted by that Seagate drive, but I'm a bit uneasy about using storage that has its own onboard battery and needs to be charged independently of the phone - combined with a rechargeable battery pack, that's an awful lot of things to charge up. It's also bulky and probably mechanically rather fragile - hard drives don't much like being bounced around while they're operating. And then there's the cost....

Has anyone come up with a cable which lets you connect OTG USB storage and an external battery or charger simultaneously?

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
The one works well with my sandisk cruizer extreme, and it's seriously quick provided you have usb 3.0

I believe maxell have a wireless flash drive, kingston have a wireless ssd as well.
The Maxell device is an interesting possibility. It's essentially a wireless adapter for a memory card - not a micro-sd card of the sort you get in a phone, but a full-size sd card of the kind designed for digital cameras. You then transfer files (or stream them) via wifi rather than a direct connection to the phone. You can (I think) move files onto it from a PC via USB (USB 2.0 only, though). I get the impression it's designed more for iOS than Android....

http://www.airstash.com/#specs

But I'm still not sure a wireless device is the way to go - like I said, that's one extra device you have to remember to charge up, not to mention the complications of getting the phone to connect to the Internet over wifi and to the external drive at the same time, plus possible security implications, etc. I would have thought there must be some sort of adapter to allow a USB storage device and a charger or external battery to be connected to the phone at the same time...?

Top Liked Posts