Touch screen help

Search This thread

gen1mx6

Oct 17, 2010
How do you diagnose what to replace on your tablet? Is it possible with the tf700t?

Here is the scenario- I travel a lot and kind of pack my backpack tight and I think the extra pressure on the tablet has screwed the right side.. I turned on show touches in developer tools and a touch comes and goes from the right mid side (sometimes it moves) .

I was able tdeal with this for a while but now after my last travel it's made it almost impossible to use the tab. My tablet it is out of warranty, unlocked and rooted so don't know if I could sent it to Asus for repair.

My question is, is it my touchscreen I need to replace or is it another component? Currently I I hold the tablet and apply pressure on the right side (back) I can make the touch go and come. If I turn the screen off it will remove the touch for a bit. if the touch won't go away I try to apply pressure to the back in various spots to it goes away

flhthemi

Feb 8, 2012
Statesville, NC
My understanding is if you can see what's on the screen the display panel is good. If there are touch problems then you MIGHT need a new digitizer. It could also be that in bumping it around and what not that the ribbon cable connecting the digitizer has come loose. Heat sometimes seems to be involved in this happening too. There are a couple threads here about these issues, fixing them and how to go about replacing the digitizer yourself and where people have bought them. It's not a feat for the faint of heart but it can be done at home. ;)

gen1mx6

Oct 17, 2010
My understanding is if you can see what's on the screen the display panel is good. If there are touch problems then you MIGHT need a new digitizer. It could also be that in bumping it around and what not that the ribbon cable connecting the digitizer has come loose. Heat sometimes seems to be involved in this happening too. There are a couple threads here about these issues, fixing them and how to go about replacing the digitizer yourself and where people have bought them. It's not a feat for the faint of heart but it can be done at home. ;)

Thanks I'll check it out didn't know if it was the touch screen or digitizer. I'm typing on it right now so seems like touch is just fine.

I suppose I'll open it up and see if a cable is loose. But do you think Asus would accept it for repairs? It's unlocked and rooted.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
They woud gladly accept it for repairs... but they would charge you a bundle. Your warranty is void since you unlocked. ;)

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

flhthemi

Feb 8, 2012
Statesville, NC
Touch screen/digitzer I believe are one in the same.

Sure Asus will fix it. In/out of warranty. But as mentioned, they'll charge you big bucks. My guess to replace the digitizer would be about 300USD. MIGHT be a little less.

If you open it somewhere inside, can't recall position, there is a service switch you should turn off 1st, before you do anything else. That might keep you from frying some component should a short develop somehow. Just remember to turn it back on last before you finish inside.

I recall reading that the ribbon cable is held in place by either glue or double sided tape and the heat aids in its becoming loose and can be part of the problem with the digitizer getting all crazy.

BTW Anyone can feel free to correct or add to this....

Last edited: