Frequently Asked Questions

Search This thread

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]LG Optimus One Device Family[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I root my LG Optimus One?[/SIZE]
Rooting can be accomplished with Gingerbreak.apk 1.20 for most devices running stock Froyo ( 2.2 ) and Gingerbread( 2.3 ). There is also Z4Root and SuperOneClick for those instances when GingerBreak doesn't work.​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I install a custom recovery?[/SIZE]
This is too broad a topic to cover in detail in this FAQ. Please refer to any of the methods listed below...

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Why do I have to "trim" my ROMs?[/SIZE]

The allocated system partition on any of these devices is only 190 MB. Not really huge. However since Android 4.0, the space required for everything has increased to a point that it will almost completely fill the system partition only leaving a few KB free. OOne ROM Editor is a Windows utility designed specifically for this task.

[SIZE=+1]Q4: I've flashed ( any ICS or JB ) ROM and Google Apps. Why doesn't my Home and or Search button work?[/SIZE]
Did you trim the ROM prior to installation? If not, see question #3 above.
Did you wipe your /cache and Dalvik cache prior to the ROM installation?

[SIZE=+1]Q5: Why doesn't Link2SD work with CM10+?[/SIZE]

There are several reasons. There is an actual procedure required in order to get Link2SD to work properly with these devices.
  • The ROM must be trimmed prior to installing or immediately after installing on to the device. See question #3 above.
    The biggest issue with Link2SD is the lack of free space on the devices system partition. I recommend a minimum 1024 MB ( 1 GB ) partition on the sdcard, formatted as ext4.
  • Now install Link2SD. After it installs, open it and let it create it's mount scripts.
  • Reboot device. On this first boot Link2SD will create it's symlinks and move whatever files it needs to move.
  • Reboot device once more for good measure.
  • From here, assuming that you have removed enough from the ROM when trimming it, the Google Apps package should be installed via your preferred recovery.
  • Reboot. You should see a "Android is updating apps" notification as the ROM starts.

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How can I get rid of Link2SD before migrating to another *2SD script?[/SIZE]

Link2SD installs scripts etc. in 2 places
  • /system/etc/init.d
  • /system/etc/install_recovery.sh
Delete both mounting scripts and delete the /data/sdext2 folder to get rid of Link2SD. For credit and more details please see this post.

[SIZE=+1]Q7: I have installed CM10.1. What happened to the Developer Options?[/SIZE]

On the device, go to Settings -> About Phone. Scroll to and tap on the build number 7 - 8 times until you get a toast notification that states that Developer Options are enabled. Press the "Back" button. A Developer Options item should appear in the main settings list, usually just before About Phone. Press the Developer Options item and then enable Developer Options with the toggle at the top of the page.

[SIZE=+1]Q8: I'm running CM10.1. Where is the advanced power menu?[/SIZE]

If Developer Options are not enabled, see question #7 above. Go to Settings -> Developer Options and enable "Advanced Reboot".

[SIZE=+1]Q9: I just flashed a ROM and I have no network. What should I do?[/SIZE]

All ROMs from CM7 and newer are built for new baseband. This is more than likely because of the wrong baseband. The P509 and P506 are old baseband devices. P500 and P505 devices that didn't get the official update are also old baseband. You can flash the old baseband patch via CWM or any other recovery to remedy this problem. Please see post #8 for the old baseband patch.
It is also possible the the APN for your carrier is either not set up or is incorrectly set up.

[SIZE=+1]Q10: What is the best method for installing a ROM?[/SIZE]

In my opinion it is always best to perform all wipes, even when upgrading the same Android version, although it is not really required when upgrading. The following steps are assuming that you are using CWM.
  1. Boot device in to Recovery. If you don't have a custom recovery, please see question #2 above.
  2. Perform "Wipe data/factory reset". This will format the /data, /cache, /sdext, and .android_secure
  3. Select the "Advanced" option and on the next screen select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Confirm the wipe.
  4. Not necessary but I do it anyway, in the "Advanced" screen select "Wipe battery stats" and the confirm that wipe
  5. For a clean installation I recommend formatting the system partition too. From CWM home screen select "mounts and storage". On the next screen select "format /system" and then confirm the format.
  6. Press the back button until you are back in the CWM home screen. Select "Install zip from sdcard" and then select "Choose zip from sdcard". Browse your sdcard for the ROM to install and select it. Confirm the installation. Now wait for the install to finish.
  7. Go back to CWM's home screen. Select "reboot system now" option and let the device boot. The initial boot will take a couple of minutes. Don't panic.
If you intend to install any patches or Google Apps, reboot device into recovery and repeat step 6 for each additional package to install.

[SIZE=+1]Q11: How can I make Voice Search work with Google Now in JB roms?[/SIZE]

I have gathered links to several posts regarding this, and they can be found here

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread. More Frequenty Asked Questions and their answers are welcome here and I will add them to the OP.

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012
Q: How can I get rid of Link2SD, before migrating to another *2SD script?

A: Link2SD installs in 2 places, /system/etc/init.d & /system/etc/install_recovery.sh
You need to delete them both mounting scripts, and also delete the /data/sdext2 folder to get rid of link2sd...

Credit here
Personally, I like Mounts2SD :good:

Let's see if we can get this into a sticky...

Last edited:
Reactions: shinobisoft

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
We need a list of working *2sd with cm10/10.1
Does this F.A.Q. meant to be only for cm10/10.1?

No. It's not meant for any specific Android version at all. This FAQ is still a WIP. This FAQ is intended to be a starting point for new members. It is not designed or intended to go in to too much detail about anything. Questions with lengthy answers are answered in short form when possible. If more explanation is needed, then a link or links will be included to direct the member to the correct thread.

As for what you have stated, I will see what I can come up with. Some of the *2SD scripts can be problematic setting up and require special details. Link2SD and Mounts2SD are two problematic ones right off the top of my head.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Reactions: rachitshah and ibub

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
Hey Bill, :eek: I just now figured out what dovidhalevi was talking about. The link that I posted above works. But the copied link that you posted does not. :eek: Gotta love this great software. Got no choice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: post-mortem

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012
Yup. Your link in Q11 is to:
http://xdaforums.com/show...&postcount=169

While it should be to:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39156799&postcount=169

Reactions: ibub

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Hey Bill, :eek: I just now figured out what dovidhalevi was talking about. The link that I posted above works. But the copied link that you posted does not. :eek: Gotta love this great software. Got no choice. :rolleyes:

Yup. Your link in Q11 is to:
http://xdaforums.com/show...&postcount=169

While it should be to:

Thanks
No sure how the URL error came about as I copied the link directly from ibub's post, but in any case link has been fixed in Q#11.

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
That "oldbasebandfix.zip" is to make a new baseband rom work with a phone that has old baseband. Check the thread for the rom to check for baseband requirements.

sent from the p509 that I thought I killed again... no trouble at all :cool:

Reactions: shinobisoft

mackoyskii

May 23, 2013
What is the most stable Jelly Bean ROM i can install on my P500? there are a lot of ROM. i tried CM10(Build 7) from Rashed97 but after a few weeks it crashes some (well most) of my application. Thanks in advanced! :)

Last edited:

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
What is the most stable Jelly Bean ROM i can install on my P500? there are a lot of ROM. i tried CM10(Build 7) from Rashed97 but after a few weeks it crashes some (well most) of my application. Thanks in advanced! :)

I'm afraid that I cannot personally answer your question. One note, this is not a general discussion thread. Please read or reread the OP.

Gkikas

Feb 17, 2013
Arnhem
Ok so I have a couple of problems with my p500.

First of all my phone, doesn't want to connect to my pc. I don't have a clue why, I think it happened for the first time a long time ago while I was fidling with it (can't remember what) and once it connects, my computer says that the device got disconected when it is still connected! I've tried to factory reset but nothing happened still the same.

Secondly the problem that I have is that sometimes the phone boots into emergency mode for no good reason.

It is running on 2.3.3 android and it is not rooted or anything but stock!

Looking forward for your sollutions guys!

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Ok so I have a couple of problems with my p500.

First of all my phone, doesn't want to connect to my pc. I don't have a clue why, I think it happened for the first time a long time ago while I was fidling with it (can't remember what) and once it connects, my computer says that the device got disconected when it is still connected! I've tried to factory reset but nothing happened still the same.

Secondly the problem that I have is that sometimes the phone boots into emergency mode for no good reason.

It is running on 2.3.3 android and it is not rooted or anything but stock!

Looking forward for your sollutions guys!

This is not a general help thread. Please reread the OP. In this case you should've started another thread. But in any case...

A partial answer to your question can be found here

Sounds like the drivers need to be reinstalled on your PC. They should be uninstalled, reboot PC, reinstalled, and reboot once more. Power off your device. Attach data cable to device assuming its already attached to a USB port that is not a hub. Now power on the device and let the driver installation do it's thing.

The above is assuming you've managed to get your device to properly boot.

Best of luck.

przem_ko

Jul 29, 2013
Hello everyone!

Since xda won't let me ask directly in the relevant thread (as I am a 'noob' here), I guess here's the correct place. So here we go:

Does anyone know how to enable a hardware video playback on P-500 with Evoking 2.1 ROM (Skydragon)? I use Mobo Player, and in several earlier versions of Evoking it simply did a software mode fallback. Tried V-Player, but it simply crashes (as well as 'Now playing' and some other media-related apps in this ROM).

-regards
-p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]LG Optimus One Device Family[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I root my LG Optimus One?[/SIZE]
    Rooting can be accomplished with Gingerbreak.apk 1.20 for most devices running stock Froyo ( 2.2 ) and Gingerbread( 2.3 ). There is also Z4Root and SuperOneClick for those instances when GingerBreak doesn't work.​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I install a custom recovery?[/SIZE]
    This is too broad a topic to cover in detail in this FAQ. Please refer to any of the methods listed below...

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Why do I have to "trim" my ROMs?[/SIZE]

The allocated system partition on any of these devices is only 190 MB. Not really huge. However since Android 4.0, the space required for everything has increased to a point that it will almost completely fill the system partition only leaving a few KB free. OOne ROM Editor is a Windows utility designed specifically for this task.

[SIZE=+1]Q4: I've flashed ( any ICS or JB ) ROM and Google Apps. Why doesn't my Home and or Search button work?[/SIZE]
    Did you trim the ROM prior to installation? If not, see question #3 above.
    Did you wipe your /cache and Dalvik cache prior to the ROM installation?

[SIZE=+1]Q5: Why doesn't Link2SD work with CM10+?[/SIZE]

There are several reasons. There is an actual procedure required in order to get Link2SD to work properly with these devices.
    • The ROM must be trimmed prior to installing or immediately after installing on to the device. See question #3 above.
      The biggest issue with Link2SD is the lack of free space on the devices system partition. I recommend a minimum 1024 MB ( 1 GB ) partition on the sdcard, formatted as ext4.
    • Now install Link2SD. After it installs, open it and let it create it's mount scripts.
    • Reboot device. On this first boot Link2SD will create it's symlinks and move whatever files it needs to move.
    • Reboot device once more for good measure.
    • From here, assuming that you have removed enough from the ROM when trimming it, the Google Apps package should be installed via your preferred recovery.
    • Reboot. You should see a "Android is updating apps" notification as the ROM starts.

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How can I get rid of Link2SD before migrating to another *2SD script?[/SIZE]

Link2SD installs scripts etc. in 2 places
    • /system/etc/init.d
    • /system/etc/install_recovery.sh
    Delete both mounting scripts and delete the /data/sdext2 folder to get rid of Link2SD. For credit and more details please see this post.

[SIZE=+1]Q7: I have installed CM10.1. What happened to the Developer Options?[/SIZE]

On the device, go to Settings -> About Phone. Scroll to and tap on the build number 7 - 8 times until you get a toast notification that states that Developer Options are enabled. Press the "Back" button. A Developer Options item should appear in the main settings list, usually just before About Phone. Press the Developer Options item and then enable Developer Options with the toggle at the top of the page.

[SIZE=+1]Q8: I'm running CM10.1. Where is the advanced power menu?[/SIZE]

If Developer Options are not enabled, see question #7 above. Go to Settings -> Developer Options and enable "Advanced Reboot".

[SIZE=+1]Q9: I just flashed a ROM and I have no network. What should I do?[/SIZE]

All ROMs from CM7 and newer are built for new baseband. This is more than likely because of the wrong baseband. The P509 and P506 are old baseband devices. P500 and P505 devices that didn't get the official update are also old baseband. You can flash the old baseband patch via CWM or any other recovery to remedy this problem. Please see post #8 for the old baseband patch.
    It is also possible the the APN for your carrier is either not set up or is incorrectly set up.

[SIZE=+1]Q10: What is the best method for installing a ROM?[/SIZE]

In my opinion it is always best to perform all wipes, even when upgrading the same Android version, although it is not really required when upgrading. The following steps are assuming that you are using CWM.
    1. Boot device in to Recovery. If you don't have a custom recovery, please see question #2 above.
    2. Perform "Wipe data/factory reset". This will format the /data, /cache, /sdext, and .android_secure
    3. Select the "Advanced" option and on the next screen select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Confirm the wipe.
    4. Not necessary but I do it anyway, in the "Advanced" screen select "Wipe battery stats" and the confirm that wipe
    5. For a clean installation I recommend formatting the system partition too. From CWM home screen select "mounts and storage". On the next screen select "format /system" and then confirm the format.
    6. Press the back button until you are back in the CWM home screen. Select "Install zip from sdcard" and then select "Choose zip from sdcard". Browse your sdcard for the ROM to install and select it. Confirm the installation. Now wait for the install to finish.
    7. Go back to CWM's home screen. Select "reboot system now" option and let the device boot. The initial boot will take a couple of minutes. Don't panic.
    If you intend to install any patches or Google Apps, reboot device into recovery and repeat step 6 for each additional package to install.

[SIZE=+1]Q11: How can I make Voice Search work with Google Now in JB roms?[/SIZE]

I have gathered links to several posts regarding this, and they can be found here

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
    Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread. More Frequenty Asked Questions and their answers are welcome here and I will add them to the OP.
    Q: How can I make Voice Search work with Google Now in JB roms?
    A: I have gathered links to several posts regarding this, and they can be found here:

sent from a jellybean sitting on an ice cream sandwich (and a 3.0 kernel)
    We need a list of working *2sd with cm10/10.1
    Does this F.A.Q. meant to be only for cm10/10.1?

No. It's not meant for any specific Android version at all. This FAQ is still a WIP. This FAQ is intended to be a starting point for new members. It is not designed or intended to go in to too much detail about anything. Questions with lengthy answers are answered in short form when possible. If more explanation is needed, then a link or links will be included to direct the member to the correct thread.

As for what you have stated, I will see what I can come up with. Some of the *2SD scripts can be problematic setting up and require special details. Link2SD and Mounts2SD are two problematic ones right off the top of my head.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)
    Q: How can I get rid of Link2SD, before migrating to another *2SD script?

A: Link2SD installs in 2 places, /system/etc/init.d & /system/etc/install_recovery.sh
    You need to delete them both mounting scripts, and also delete the /data/sdext2 folder to get rid of link2sd...

Credit here
    Personally, I like Mounts2SD :good:

Let's see if we can get this into a sticky...