Dual Core Snapdragon BLOWS NVidia Dual Core tegra 2 OUT OF THE WATER

Search This thread

a1yet

Feb 16, 2011
the new Dual Core Snapdragon makes Nvidia's Tegra 2 look like a single core CPU!
and it's not even out of development yet, so this review is on pre-release hardware (Mobile Development Platform (MDP)) which means it's not even optimized yet!
this is Massively Impressive!
some highlights

Qualcomm Mobile Development Platform (MDP)
SoC 1.5 GHz 45nm MSM8660
CPU Dual Core Snapdragon
GPU Adreno 220
RAM (?) LPDDR2
NAND 8 GB integrated, microSD slot
Cameras 13 MP Rear Facing with Autofocus and LED Flash, Front Facing (? MP)
Display 3.8" WVGA LCD-TFT with Capacitive Touch
Battery 3.3 Whr removable
OS Android 2.3.2 (Gingerbread)
...............................................................................................

the LG 3D
LG Optimus 3D is also a dual core cpu
Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, PowerVR SGX540 GPU, TI OMAP4430 chipset
................................................................................................
the LG 2x
LG Optimus 2X is a Dual core cpu
Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, ULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 chipset
................................................................................................
the Nexus S
Nexus S is a single core cpu
(single core) 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor, PowerVR SGX540

GLBenchmark 2.0 Egypt
38 Qualcomm MDP
31 LG 3D
25 LG 2x
21 Nexus S

GLBenchmark 2.0 Pro
94 Qualcomm MDP
55 LG 3D
51 LG 2x
42 Nexus S

Quake 3 FPS (Frames per second)
80 Qualcomm MDP
50 LG 2x
52 Nexus S
N/A LG 3D

Quadrant / 3D / 2D
2851 / 1026 / 329 Qualcomm MDP
2670 / 1196 / 306 LG 2x
1636 / 588 / 309 Nexus S
N/A LG 3D

NOTE: take the Quadrant scores with a grain of Salt
heres what Anand has to say about it
"What all Quadrant is putting emphasis on with its 2D and 3D subtests is something of a mystery to me. There isn't a whole lot of documentation, but again it's become something of a standard. The 1.5 GHz MSM8660 leads in overall score and the 2D subtest, but trails Tegra 2 in the 3D subtest. If you notice the difference between Hummingbird (SGX540) from 2.1 to 2.3, you can see how Quadrant's strange 3D behavior on Android 2.3 seems to continually negatively impact performance. I saw the same odd missing texture and erratic performance back when I tested the Nexus S as I did on the MDP. Things like this and lack of updates are precisely why we need even better testing tools to effectively gauge performance"

Source: Anandtech.com
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4243/...ormance-1-5-ghz-msm8660-adreno-220-benchmarks

Hope u enjoyed this
Ric H. (a1yet)

PS: don't rule out Nvidia yet their dual core may have gotten blown out of the water BUT
will their quad (four) cores CPU AND 12 core Gpu be better ?

NVIDIA's Project Kal-El: Quad-Core A9s Coming to Smartphones/Tablets This Year
Link:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4181/...re-a9s-coming-to-smartphonestablets-this-year

Last edited:

lude219

Jul 13, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
PS: don't rule out Nvidia yet their dual core may have gotten blown out of the water BUT
will their 12 core cpu be better ?
If you're one of those benchmark nut-riders, at least take some time to understand what it is that you're reading. It's 12-core GPU, big difference from a 12-core CPU, which doesn't even exist on desktop computers yet (unless you're talking about multisocket server-class mobos), let alone on a mobile phone.

And the second point which 99% of the people who tend to lust at the benchmarks don't have a damn clue about, screen size and resolution. But I'm sure you don't care to know much about it, OP.

jpeishen

Mar 24, 2011
not sure about if the information is accurate, however it will be nice to have competition so there is always better cpu coming out.

Reactions: a1yet

BigMcGuire

Nov 29, 2010
California
I think mobile processors are similar to desktop processors. There's just too much going on to accurately benchmark. My OG Droid with a 1.25Ghz overclock doesn't even come close to touching my HTC Thunderbolt on stock, yet technically it's 250Mhz faster, right? The HTC's updated 1Ghz processor is faster than other 1Ghz processors, yet rated at 1Ghz. I don't see logic in all the hype.

a1yet

Feb 16, 2011
And the second point which 99% of the people who tend to lust at the benchmarks don't have a damn clue about, screen size and resolution. But I'm sure you don't care to know much about it, OP.
WELL my "PS:" was added in hast and I Made a typo. My whole post was about "GRAPHICS" performance so the typo did not impact the heart of my post!
sad day for you
because with your 2 brain cells u obviously have NO CLUE what u are talking about. "Screen SIZE" has no bearing on performance ! none, zero, zip, zilch!
talk to me about screen size next time I'm playing Angry Birds on my 52 inch HDTV!

the only thing that has ANY bearing on performance IS "resolution"
so to explain it in a way that u can understand
the only impact screen size has is it sometimes allows you (Depending on how the manufactures implement it) to have a higher ....
WAIT FOR IT ...........
WAIT FOR IT ...........
"Resolution"
WOW SAD Day for you !

Go bash someones post, who can tolerate your Ignorance! and leave mine alone

Sincerely
Ric H. (a1yet)

Last edited:

tolis626

Dec 31, 2009
Amaliada
WELL my "PS:" was added in hast and I Made a typo. My whole post was about "GRAPHICS" performance so the typo did not impact the heart of my post!
sad day for you
because with your 2 brain cells u obviously have NO CLUE what u are talking about. "Screen SIZE" has no bearing on performance ! none, zero, zip, zilch!
talk to me about screen size next time I'm playing Angry Birds on my 52 inch HDTV!

the only impact screen size has is it sometimes allows you (Depending on how the manufactures implement it) to have a higher ....
WAIT FOR IT ...........
WAIT FOR IT ...........
"Resolution"
WOW SAD Day for you !

Sincerely
Ric H. (a1yet)
I like you pal!That's the spirit! :D
Forget the haters dude,there are many around! :)
and the ipad 2's processor is made by samsung :)

Sent from HTC EVO
I don't know about it being made by Samsung,but the CPU(the CPU itself,not the whole chip)is larger than the other CPUs,thus having more space for more transistors.That significantly boosts performance. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    not sure about if the information is accurate, however it will be nice to have competition so there is always better cpu coming out.
    GREAT cause the ipad is killing tegra 2 already
    I think mobile processors are similar to desktop processors. There's just too much going on to accurately benchmark. My OG Droid with a 1.25Ghz overclock doesn't even come close to touching my HTC Thunderbolt on stock, yet technically it's 250Mhz faster, right? The HTC's updated 1Ghz processor is faster than other 1Ghz processors, yet rated at 1Ghz. I don't see logic in all the hype.
    GREAT cause the ipad is killing tegra 2 already

Sent from HTC EVO
    sad day for you

WAIT FOR IT ...........
    WAIT FOR IT ...........
    "Resolution"
    WOW SAD Day for you !

Sincerely
    Ric H. (a1yet)
    I like you pal!That's the spirit! :D
    Forget the haters dude,there are many around! :)

Sent from HTC EVO
    I don't know about it being made by Samsung,but the CPU(the CPU itself,not the whole chip)is larger than the other CPUs,thus having more space for more transistors.That significantly boosts performance. :)