[GUIDE] Using ODIN to flash your Epic 4G Touch (windows only)

Search This thread

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
PREREQUISITES:
  • ODIN v1.85 (included at the bottom) [WINDOWS ONLY]
  • Samsung KIES (for the drivers needed)
  • Samsung Epic 4G Touch (I know - should be obvious.....) and USB cable
  • Your brain and eyes to read this ENTIRE thing BEFORE you do anything

INITIAL SETUP:
  1. Install Samsung KIES
  2. Connect your Epic 4G Touch to a Windows computer. (Sorry ODIN uses Windows only...)
  3. Wait for Windows to initialize your phone with the drivers
  4. Unzip the Odin3 v1.85.zip file to it's own directory
  5. Disconnect Epic 4G Touch from your computer

ODIN STARTUP
  1. Open up odin3 v1.85.exe and you'll see this screen
  2. Turn your E4GT off (again should be obvious) and unplug if plugged in
  3. Put your E4GT into download mode by holding down Volume-Down first and then hold down the Power button until you see this screen:

bWa7Y.jpg

4. Press Volume-Up to continue or Volume-Dn to restart
  5. Volume-Up gets you this screen:

hdnG8.jpg

You're now in Download Mode and ready to continue.

ODIN OPTIONS:
Here is the ODIN screen:

wLK6E.png

1. Connect your E4GT to your computer.
  2. The top left box should light up like this:

Xyfgd.png

If it doesn't, close out of ODIN, unplug your phone, take the battery out, put it back in, restart computer, and repeat the ODIN STARTUP steps above.

• PIT Button: This is for the partition structure when flashing an entire ROM
  • BOOTLOADER Button: This is for uploading a new bootloader (we don't have, and have never used this - IGNORE!)
  • PDA Button: This is for flashing kernels and ROMs (in .tar format)
  • PHONE Button: This is for the phone's RADIO/MODEM ONLY!!!!!!
  • CSC Button: Not sure - don't use.

DO NOT USE PHONE FOR ANYTHING BUT A RADIO/MODEM - YOU WILL DEFINITELY NOT BE ABLE TO USE YOUR PHONE FOR CALLS, AND YOU MAY POSSIBLY BRICK IT - YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

This concludes the basics on what ODIN is and how to use it. For the items to flash you'll find them on this site.

DISCLAIMER: YOU, AND YOU ALONE, ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS IN USING ANYTHING ON THIS SITE. DO NOT COME CRYING IF YOU MESS UP YOUR DEVICE.

Noteworthy posts:
I'm not going to blame you for anything...I'm a retard, and WAY tired. I just flashed the root kernel over "phone" in Odin! Do you know where I can find the stock radio/modem to reflash it right? Anything you can do to help would be great!

Stock Modem EG12.bin - flash this using PHONE in ODIN

Last edited:

MarcAntonyy

Feb 18, 2011
Rachel Cook's bedroom
Awesome! I could have used this when I started on my GTab 10.1.

This will help a lot of folks. I'm very impressed by you and the other devs in this community thus far. You guys rock hard and I hope everyone realizes it.

jerdog

Mighty Mike

Jan 7, 2008
ok, I have tried the above directions. Kies installed. Odin installed. phone in d/l mode. Odin found phone. chose the tar file and started. It keeps getting stuck at zimage or setup connection.

I have uninstalled Kies thinking that maybe it was locking up the port and restarted. Still have the same "stall" condition. Any ideas? I really want to root and am stuck!

edit: I was using a usb cable through a usb hub. I switched to the cable that came with it directly to my pc and it worked fine. Guess Odin is picky.

Last edited:

dja2k

Nov 16, 2008
Texas
Stupid question but can Kies software be uninstalled and just keep the Samsung USB drivers, would that still work?

dja2k

thebadfrog

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for the guide you worthless pimple on the face of humanity. I couldn't soft brick or perma brick my new phone because the guide was too easy to follow.

You suck..... now I can't post...

"You're stupid guide bricked my new phone arsehole"

jerdog

Thanks for the guide you worthless pimple on the face of humanity. I couldn't soft brick or perma brick my new phone because the guide was too easy to follow.

I am sorry to have given you an excuse to actually be productive with a device. I suggest you place it in a jell-o mold and freeze it as the one device you didn't brick - but then you'd have bricked it - thus fulfilling your original desire to brick. Now go pass one through your intestines.

Reactions: MWaV

Yet Again

Jan 17, 2011
Austin
I am sorry to have given you an excuse to actually be productive with a device. I suggest you place it in a jell-o mold and freeze it as the one device you didn't brick - but then you'd have bricked it - thus fulfilling your original desire to brick. Now go pass one through your intestines.

I'm not going to blame you for anything...I'm a retard, and WAY tired. I just flashed the root kernel over "phone" in Odin! Do you know where I can find the stock radio/modem to reflash it right? Anything you can do to help would be great!

jerdog

Updated the OP:

Last edited:
Reactions: anikan4

Yet Again

Jan 17, 2011
Austin
LOL...I'm SOOO thrilled you used my post as the "Noteworthy Post" example. A grand tip to the rest of the community, DO NOT attempt flashing/modding/rooting/hacking (as an amateur) when you are semi-drunk and half asleep. And THANK YOU to the OP for supplying the stock Modem, although, the scare of almost bricking my phone sobered me up enough to use the search function on the forum.

End of story!

bigfdaddy

Oct 6, 2010
i cant get to odin.....instead it gives me android system recoverry. #manual mode# looks almost like clockwork mod but cant install using clk roms...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PREREQUISITES:
    • ODIN v1.85 (included at the bottom) [WINDOWS ONLY]
    • Samsung KIES (for the drivers needed)
    • Samsung Epic 4G Touch (I know - should be obvious.....) and USB cable
    • Your brain and eyes to read this ENTIRE thing BEFORE you do anything

INITIAL SETUP:
    1. Install Samsung KIES
    2. Connect your Epic 4G Touch to a Windows computer. (Sorry ODIN uses Windows only...)
    3. Wait for Windows to initialize your phone with the drivers
    4. Unzip the Odin3 v1.85.zip file to it's own directory
    5. Disconnect Epic 4G Touch from your computer

ODIN STARTUP
    1. Open up odin3 v1.85.exe and you'll see this screen
    2. Turn your E4GT off (again should be obvious) and unplug if plugged in
    3. Put your E4GT into download mode by holding down Volume-Down first and then hold down the Power button until you see this screen:

bWa7Y.jpg

4. Press Volume-Up to continue or Volume-Dn to restart
    5. Volume-Up gets you this screen:

hdnG8.jpg

You're now in Download Mode and ready to continue.

ODIN OPTIONS:
    Here is the ODIN screen:

wLK6E.png

1. Connect your E4GT to your computer.
    2. The top left box should light up like this:

Xyfgd.png

If it doesn't, close out of ODIN, unplug your phone, take the battery out, put it back in, restart computer, and repeat the ODIN STARTUP steps above.

• PIT Button: This is for the partition structure when flashing an entire ROM
    • BOOTLOADER Button: This is for uploading a new bootloader (we don't have, and have never used this - IGNORE!)
    • PDA Button: This is for flashing kernels and ROMs (in .tar format)
    • PHONE Button: This is for the phone's RADIO/MODEM ONLY!!!!!!
    • CSC Button: Not sure - don't use.

DO NOT USE PHONE FOR ANYTHING BUT A RADIO/MODEM - YOU WILL DEFINITELY NOT BE ABLE TO USE YOUR PHONE FOR CALLS, AND YOU MAY POSSIBLY BRICK IT - YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

This concludes the basics on what ODIN is and how to use it. For the items to flash you'll find them on this site.

DISCLAIMER: YOU, AND YOU ALONE, ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS IN USING ANYTHING ON THIS SITE. DO NOT COME CRYING IF YOU MESS UP YOUR DEVICE.

Noteworthy posts:

My main question is, what is the point of ODIN??? Or more importantly, what is the advantage of using ODIN to root??? Are there advantages of not using ODIN to root???
    Think of ODIN as similar in function to fastboot for HTC.

ODIN is very nice to have because even if you have a bad flash, as long as you can get into ODIN download mode, you can reflash the phone and get it working.

There are 2 ways you can root the phone and add CWM:
    1) you can use ODIN to flash a BootImg/zImage with CWM and a pre-rooted ROM
    2) you can use the Auto Root sticky to root and then use it to install a BootImg/zImage with CWM

For #1, if you flash "unsigned" software in ODIN (like a BootImg/zImage/Kernel with CWM) then it will trigger a yellow triangle and increment an ODIN flash count. If you flash Official "signed" Samsung software then the triangle will go away and the flash count won't increase (but won't go back to zero either) To get the flash count back to zero you can use a USB jig.

For #2, it doesn't involve flashing through ODIN so it doesn't trigger the yellow triangle nor does it increment the flash count. Also it doesn't involve flashing a new rooted ROM onto your phone. It roots your existing running ROM so you are assured everything will work exactly the same after rooting as before rooting. You can choose to root separate from installing CWM and also go back and forth between different kernels very easily. You can even swap kernels without using a PC, doing it directly from your phone. There is also support to disable CIQ w/o needing a ROM flash.
    I have googled the subject and can't find a guide on flashing using Heimdall in Ubuntu. I came from the Evo so I'm not familiar with Samsung's way of doing things.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Heimdall rocks, here u go bud:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1277000

Updated the OP: