Creating your own Wallpapers for the Motorola Photon

Search This thread

Weapon X 20

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I know that I have seen this forum out here before but I cannot find it. I am trying to use different pictures I have found online for my personal wallpaper. But when I use them they are either very close or they are not the entire picture. I know you have to resize them to fit the screen. I am using Adobe Photoshop to change the image size but I am having trouble coming up with the proper dimensions. Any ideas?????????????????

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
I know that I have seen this forum out here before but I cannot find it. I am trying to use different pictures I have found online for my personal wallpaper. But when I use them they are either very close or they are not the entire picture. I know you have to resize them to fit the screen. I am using Adobe Photoshop to change the image size but I am having trouble coming up with the proper dimensions. Any ideas?????????????????

If you want just one screen size picture than mine are 540x960.

The stock wallpaper that comes on the Photon is 1080x960 for scrolling.

Reactions: Weapon X 20

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
I tried both of those resolutions and when I try to select the image it may let me expand it to the full image but it is zoomed in and the picture is sometimes blurry. Any other suggestions?

You mentioned using PS to create the wallpaper. Are you taking pics off the internet and trying to resize them or creating new ones from scratch? What process in PS are you using to resize? You probably already know this since you are familiar with PS but enlarging a smaller photo lowers the dpi of the image which is why I am curious about the process used.

If an image is the correct size and good resolution than it should look good on the screen. Just yank any wallpaper from your phone that comes stock and check the specifics on it and try to maintain that in your other pics.

Or.....if you want post the picture you are trying to use and we can try and resize to see if our results are any better.

Last edited:
the right size is 1080x960 so using adobe photoshop and the croping tools
should do the trick. just use these settings and crop the image you want (for best results make sure the original image is bigger than 1080x960 or you will get a crappy picture)

34570320.jpg

Weapon X 20

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
should do the trick. just use these settings and crop the image you want (for best results make sure the original image is bigger than 1080x960 or you will get a crappy picture)

34570320.jpg
How can I change the height and width to that? I try to do it and it says that exceeds the max. Thanks for the help in advance!

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
If the picture is 960 pixels high and wasn't resized upward from a lower resolution, it should be fine. It should look at least as good as it does on the computer.

540x960 is the Photon's/Electrify's actual resolution (qHD) but 1080 = 540*2, *2 being the width of your typical Android wallpaper, twice the width so the picture can shift as you change home screens. (Personally, I prefer to use 540x960 images and turn off shifting. If your launcher supports this -- GO does -- your wallpaper crop tool will have the proper aspect ratio. If it doesn't, it will try to take a piece with the aspect ratio of 1080x960 out of your 540x960 image.)

I resize wallpapers to 540x960 for use on my Electrify. I posted some in the wallpapers topic; if you want some nice ones (note that they do not support homescreen shifting) have a look.

Weapon X 20

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I tried resizing the images to 1080X960 and they are still zoomed in and not how I wanted them exactly. Here are some of the images. Wolverine fan as you can tell lol.

This is what my screen looks like

Attachments

• 1335046213578.jpg
    1335046213578.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
Not really understanding your problem. Those images should work, though a lot of them are terrible (badly scaled). Start with a large image. Google "wolverine", hit Images, then hit Large (under Size).

You don't need Photoshop to crop. You might as well use a rocket launcher to kill a cockroach. Just get something light like XnView (free, also available as a Portable App) for light work. Figure out the aspect ratio (it's 1.78) and have XnView crop to that. Crop it how you want it, preferably at 540x960 or higher, and then resize down to that. I guess you could use Photoshop, but my brother pirated Photoshop 5 back in the day for fun, and the damn thing took a couple minutes to start up. Not sure if it's still the same. XnView loads instantly and does light image retouching and cropping extremely well.

Then you email it to yourself or get it on your device using your preferred method. For a 540x960 image, you will need to set your launcher's settings to not pan the wallpaper. I'm pretty sure GO Launcher EX will do it. Then when you go to crop, in GO, there's an option to not crop in the upper right corner. That will use the full image. As for the one with two Batmans facing each other (haha, kidding, but try to unsee it now), you wouldn't set that setting, and it would pan as you change homescreens.

Weapon X 20

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Not really understanding your problem. Those images should work, though a lot of them are terrible (badly scaled). Start with a large image. Google "wolverine", hit Images, then hit Large (under Size).

You don't need Photoshop to crop. You might as well use a rocket launcher to kill a cockroach. Just get something light like XnView (free, also available as a Portable App) for light work. Figure out the aspect ratio (it's 1.78) and have XnView crop to that. Crop it how you want it, preferably at 540x960 or higher, and then resize down to that. I guess you could use Photoshop, but my brother pirated Photoshop 5 back in the day for fun, and the damn thing took a couple minutes to start up. Not sure if it's still the same. XnView loads instantly and does light image retouching and cropping extremely well.

Then you email it to yourself or get it on your device using your preferred method. For a 540x960 image, you will need to set your launcher's settings to not pan the wallpaper. I'm pretty sure GO Launcher EX will do it. Then when you go to crop, in GO, there's an option to not crop in the upper right corner. That will use the full image. As for the one with two Batmans facing each other (haha, kidding, but try to unsee it now), you wouldn't set that setting, and it would pan as you change homescreens.
I did google larger images and that seemed to help it a little. I will try this method later on and see how it work. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Acvice

Aug 11, 2011
Weapon, download an app from the market called multipicture live wallpaper. It will properly fill the screen with an image without stretching it. Its main use is to have a different picture per homescreen, but you can have it use just one picture and you'll never know the difference. Just make sure you choose "fill screen" in the crop settings.

Weapon X 20

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Weapon, download an app from the market called multipicture live wallpaper. It will properly fill the screen with an image without stretching it. Its main use is to have a different picture per homescreen, but you can have it use just one picture and you'll never know the difference. Just make sure you choose "fill screen" in the crop settings.
That is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I didn't get a chance to try the other method above yet either. But this puts the picture perfectly how I want it. Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN
idk if its a difference in electrify and photons but my electrify doesn't have any problems being blurry our anything. ... would post screenshot but it never let's me in the xda app :/

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dodol,in the market.

sent from my Motorola Sunfire

If you want just one screen size picture than mine are 540x960.

The stock wallpaper that comes on the Photon is 1080x960 for scrolling.
    I tried both of those resolutions and when I try to select the image it may let me expand it to the full image but it is zoomed in and the picture is sometimes blurry. Any other suggestions?

You mentioned using PS to create the wallpaper. Are you taking pics off the internet and trying to resize them or creating new ones from scratch? What process in PS are you using to resize? You probably already know this since you are familiar with PS but enlarging a smaller photo lowers the dpi of the image which is why I am curious about the process used.

If an image is the correct size and good resolution than it should look good on the screen. Just yank any wallpaper from your phone that comes stock and check the specifics on it and try to maintain that in your other pics.

Or.....if you want post the picture you are trying to use and we can try and resize to see if our results are any better.

34570320.jpg
    How can I change the height and width to that? I try to do it and it says that exceeds the max. Thanks for the help in advance!
    just make sure you're using PX (pixels) not inches or cm