Software Update

Search This thread

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa
Can someone test something for me. I just updated to 4.1.2. When I am in Google now. If I hit the menu button it will just flash up and disappear really quickly. Can someone confirm this isn't working right. So the help / Send Feedback / Settings / can't be reached. Ugh!
It's a pain. If I uninstall the current update to search it works. WTF?!?!

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

Can someone test something for me. I just updated to 4.1.2. When I am in Google now. If I hit the menu button it will just flash up and disappear really quickly. Can someone confirm this isn't working right. So the help / Send Feedback / Settings / can't be reached. Ugh!

Yeah its a known bug happens to a few people including me

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

Weird I have this problem too, but easy work around. Just type any letter in the search bar, now press menu and it'll work

.:Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Note II:.

Reactions: budde2

91 Coupe

Apr 8, 2011
Olathe, KS
I applied the OTA two days ago, and since then I have been experiencing the dreaded LOS (Loss of Service) multiple times per day. The radio/modem will not get a signal back unless I reboot the phone. Its like being back on the Epic 4g again.

Tried all the usual fixes like updating the profile and PRL, but to no avail.

Two other complaints about the OTA:

Battery-Life: Definitely not as good as before.

Volume Buttons: When pressing the volume keys to put the device in-to or out-of vibration mode, it does not change the volume for all of the settings (Call, System, Alert, Ringer, Notifications) like it use to. I am having to go to the "Sounds" screen under "Settings" and adjust them individually. It sucks!

But worst of all Angry Birds (Star Wars Edition) keeps crashing. That's the last straw!!!!!!

Anyone else having these issues?

The worst I had experienced was gallery lag and significant battery drain. I hadn't noticed the problems with 4G until yesterday. I had always been somewhere that had WIFI, but yesterday I tried to access the internet through 4G. My first attempt resulted in....well, nothing. It wouldn't connect at all. I reset my phone and it seemed to work for a second, then froze up.

I tried again last night with the same results. No internet on 4G. What a joke.

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa
The worst I had experienced was gallery lag and significant battery drain. I hadn't noticed the problems with 4G until yesterday. I had always been somewhere that had WIFI, but yesterday I tried to access the internet through 4G. My first attempt resulted in....well, nothing. It wouldn't connect at all. I reset my phone and it seemed to work for a second, then froze up.

I tried again last night with the same results. No internet on 4G. What a joke.

Hmmm I have great 4g on this update I have to say it is way better so is the 3g
I wonder if there working in your area

BrianBaker

Dec 15, 2009
Apopka FL
Does anyone here use the stock messenger app? Scrolling seems really laggy now..open up a text and scroll up and down..why are there so many little issues like this in this update? Shouldn't we get progressively better with each update? Seems like we get a few cool things and mess up others.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

skinneejay

Feb 24, 2009
Can you tell me what files you changed to Bak? Also where did you see this information at? Thanks.

Sent from my Sprint Note 2.

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa
Can you tell me what files you changed to Bak? Also where did you see this information at? Thanks.

Sent from my Sprint Note 2.

I did it on my S3 and Galaxy Nexus and it helped a lot with battery so I figured I would try on Note2 after this ****ty update giff.demon, smd, smdexe.. I am testing a few more like qmuxd, bmgr. I don't recommend the last two yet still testing but three are good

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Wow just checked out the message app and scrolling is bad laggy man this update Im calling Samsung and letting them know about it so maybe they can fix it other wise im odining back to before update

Reactions: BrianBaker

91 Coupe

Apr 8, 2011
Olathe, KS
Hmmm I have great 4g on this update I have to say it is way better so is the 3g
I wonder if there working in your area

I live in Olathe, KS about 5 miles from Overland Park, KS (World Headquarters for Sprint). Seems like they would want to make sure things were working in Sprint, USA. Geez.

Lyvewire

Dec 9, 2008
I use root explorer.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Thanks. I tried this but didnt see the update listed in /Cache Screenshots_2013-02-24-13-30-46.jpg Everything else I found.

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa
I live in Olathe, KS about 5 miles from Overland Park, KS (World Headquarters for Sprint). Seems like they would want to make sure things were working in Sprint, USA. Geez.

They seemed to have slowed down by me in Tampa I got Ok coverage but there only about 16% done and it's been that way for a min

91 Coupe

Apr 8, 2011
Olathe, KS
The battery life is MUCH better today. I've been on and off the phone all day and I'm only down to 83%.

Still having gallery lag (not a huge deal) and browser issues off of WIFI.

1Buddha

Feb 19, 2013
Please help with 4.1.2

Hello Friend,

I am very grateful for all your videos and they are easy to use .
I rooted my Samsung Galaxy note 2 using your videos and I am happy with it but now
4.1.2 is out .Sprint sends me the update and I tried to update after the reboot ,it comes back into
custom recovery and I HAVE no idea what to do after that.
I already back up the phone so what are your suggestions .
Is there way to install 4.1.2 and still be rooted or should I follow the video with stock
recovery and if I do that will I loose my contacts .
I am ready to use those new features on the new ,there many more options .

Anyway thanks for your hard work and dedication .:confused::confused::confused::confused:

RayTrue04

Oct 27, 2010
Hartford, CT
Hello Friend,

I am very grateful for all your videos and they are easy to use .
I rooted my Samsung Galaxy note 2 using your videos and I am happy with it but now
4.1.2 is out .Sprint sends me the update and I tried to update after the reboot ,it comes back into
custom recovery and I HAVE no idea what to do after that.
I already back up the phone so what are your suggestions .
Is there way to install 4.1.2 and still be rooted or should I follow the video with stock
recovery and if I do that will I loose my contacts .
I am ready to use those new features on the new ,there many more options .

Anyway thanks for your hard work and dedication .:confused::confused::confused::confused:

You can't take an OTA with a custom recovery you need the stock recovery. Go here and flash the all in one zip followed by the odex or deodex rom (whichever you prefer) in custom recovery. You should be rooted and have all your data intact.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2148604

Last edited:

RayTrue04

Oct 27, 2010
Hartford, CT
the 4.1.2 update adds the ability to make the camera flash when getting a notification. This setting is under accessability

Yes and it sucks. It only flashes once when the notification 1st comes in. In my case my rubber black case I use prevents the flash from being seened when laying on a flat surface. Should've been continously like every 1-2 mins.

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa
Yes and it sucks. It only flashes once when the notification 1st comes in. In my case my rubber black case I use prevents the flash from being seened when laying on a flat surface. Should've been continously like every 1-2 mins.

Mine flashed a few times but I had a few old unchecked texted and when I get a new one it flashes for all the ones I have not checked

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa
So I called Samsung and Sprint to tell them how much tgis update has messed up mine and others phones in many ways and alls they said was Ooo no your battery should be bettery and the Gallery should be smoother than before. I said well its not infact it is way worse on quite a few people's device's. Than they acted like it was my fault and said the update was to fix bugs not make them sir theres nothing we can do. Lmao thats kinda what I was expecting so no real disappointment there. Thank God we have are own devs and dont have to count on them to fix anything. My battery is fixed because me well not me whoever posted them bin file changes on the S3 forumi just tried on the Note2 and it worked lol gallery dont lag because I have stopped the syncing for it. But besides that if I wanted to I could install a rom that is 10x better than there buggy ****. Sorry if I affend anyone just think this update should not have been released with so many bugs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooted and Updated

I thought I'd provide some info for anyone with a rooted Note 2 worrying about the software update. This was my sequence of events:

*Stock TouchWiz ROM throughout*

1. I was rooted forever using the toolkit.
    2. I downloaded Chainfire's ExynosAbuse app and used it to fix the Exynos bug.
    3. Got prompted for Software Update.
    4. Undid Chainfire Exynos fix.
    5. Used OTA Rootkeeper to temporarily unroot.
    5. Ran Software Update - no probs
    6. Used OTA Rootkeeper to restore root.

So far... flawless *knocks on wood*
    I'm with you. Anybody know a way to just disable the notification?
    I tried freezing "system update" in titanium, and then clearing the cache. The stupid pop up keeps haunting me.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

delete the update from /cache>
    then go to system/app>
    rename FWUpgrade.apk to FWUpgrade.apk.bak
    and if you are on odexed>
    you need to name FWUpgrade.odex to FWUpgrade.odex.bak as well
    -fix permissions
    -reboot
    -Party like a rock star
    I have an unrooted stock note 2 that was just activated 48 hours ago. If I get the ota I'll pull a logcat for everyone :)
    Is the update newer than MA5?

Higher numbers and letters usually mean this, yes. ;)
    Yes..This was announced. It fixes exynos although I'm still wondering what that means. What was wrong with our exynos to begin with

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

There was an error which allowed non system apps to write to restricted storage, this could cause malicious apps to wreck havoc by essentially having a back door. This mmc erroneous write was part of the way the camera and the chip worked together

Sent from my GT-I9100
    If I helped you, please hit the thanks button!