How to : build a wire trigger/remote for the NST (and maybe glowlight?)

Search This thread

Karibou3

Nov 16, 2010
Hey everyone, I just made a device for my nook that allows me to "sit back and enjoy" my book with my hands free (nearly free)

This was my chance to be a little useful on this board for once, so here is the detailed article about it, I hope you enjoy it.

spoiler : if you do what I did you actually get to bypass the matrix using a phone :cool:

I hope this link pointing to my own blog is not against forum rules by the way, please tell me if it's the case and I'll fix it.

Cheers

K.

Reactions: Renate

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Nice work! You're even lazier than I am. :laugh:

I have a foot pedal set up like that using a scrounged keyboard.
I use the PAGE_DOWN codes (which wasn't formalized until after our Android 2.1).
I didn't bother tracing out anything, besides, I only had the tiny PCB itself.
I just ran a shorting wire over stuff until I saw the right keycode on UsbMode.

You may have noticed already, we need to do some work on getting USB host mode to use less current.
Right now, it uses a lot, between 50 mA and 150 mA.
That's a lot, considering that the idle current is less than 10 mA.

Karibou3

Nov 16, 2010
Haha thanks I knew you must have built something along those lines already!
The foot pedal was on my list too, did you build the pedal yourself or did you use something?

Yes I did notice the drain... That's really a shame, I was shocked to see my nook completely drained after one night on host mode (I forgot to set it back to peripheral)

Which takes me to a question I planned to ask you

Do you know if it's possible to charge the nook while in host mode? it would solve the drain problem for me, but that would probably be too good to be true...

EDIT : just found that :

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32724951&postcount=8

How to
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1828032

It's pretty basic... Just connect Vcc and ground to the rest
have you tried something like that ?

cheers
K.

Last edited:

Karibou3

Nov 16, 2010
@Karibou3 What is the mount on the back of your Nook?

Oh it's an ugly and hasty modification of the original one (first picture in my post) I basically cut off the hinge, put an elastic band between the two remaining parts (you may have noticed it holds and bent the end of the the pincers (if that's the adequate word)
it's ugly but it does the job for now. I'll try to make up something more elegant later (probably involving rubber and claws to make use of the indents, I tried that before to fasten my book LED to the nook and it works well)

Thanks for your advice on the back powered hub, I think I might modify one later but for now I'd like to add power to this particular build (trying to keep it simple) I tried to tap into the Vcc and GND of an USB cable connected to my computer, while it charges the nook in "peripheral mode", no luck with the host mode... So I can't use my remote and charge the nook at the same time
Am I doing something wrong? what are your settings you use with your hub (should be the same right?)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts