[Q] Photon Q Battery Mod

Search This thread

goldbolt

May 25, 2013
Would it be possible do modify the Photon Q's battery at all? Like replace it with a RAZR MAXX HD's battery? I can't find dimensions on either battery or anything like that.

I was also wondering if it'd be possible to maybe take apart a battery (perhaps two Photon Q batteries) and somehow put them all in sequence and have it work like that. I'm a noob when it comes to these types of things. Any help is greatly appreciated!

mozzwald

Feb 7, 2011
You would have to get the measurements of both batteries and compare the sizes to see if the RAZR batt will fit. It looks to be the same voltage and chemistry.

You cant use multiple cells without special circuitry for charging. The best option is to find a larger cell of the same chemistry and voltage then mod the phone to hold it. Also, you would probably have to sacrifice a working battery to get the connector.

I added a larger cell to my Motorola Triumph
androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=763108

Sent from my XT897

Last edited:
Reactions: goldbolt

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
You would have to get the measurements of both batteries and compare the sizes to see if the RAZR batt will fit. It looks to be the same voltage and chemistry.

It's not easy to get that info, but looks like the RAZR battery, altough surely electrically compatible is not the same size.

Razer's one is 1.5 cm longer, and is also narrower.

You cant use multiple cells without special circuitry for charging.

Well, surely you can't put two "smart" batteries in parallel from the outside, but it's feasible opening the battery and connecting properly the cells, internally.

But this must be done by someone who really knows what should be done, to avoid risky situations.

Last edited:

mozzwald

Feb 7, 2011
You can connect multiple cells in parallel but it's not a good idea without a proper circuit to charge the cells. Over time the cells will need charged at different rates.

Sent from my XT897

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
You can connect multiple cells in parallel but it's not a good idea without a proper circuit to charge the cells. Over time the cells will need charged at different rates.

On small batteries like the one you can find on a cellphone "Proper circuit" could be just a couple of resistors to balance the "neighbor" cells.

I'ts way different on bigger batteries, like notebooks' or electric cars' ones.

Given the increased energy stored (and the increased risk) in the latter cases the charging circuitry checks every single cell, not the whole battery as happens on cellphones.

So doubling the capacity of such batteries is a completely different matter, a complete redesign of the charging circuitry (and battery firmware) is needed.

Last edited:

goldbolt

May 25, 2013
Alright, so I'm pretty sure I've this all figured out except for one thing. What the crap is this green..... thing on the back of the battery? It's like superglued onto it and I'm thinking it's an antenna of some kind, perhaps for NFC.

BUT, I can basically just connect the RAZR Maxx battery like this to mah phone I'm thinking. (see image)

Attachments

• tr89150tryj8yu1kf0yfu9810.jpg
    tr89150tryj8yu1kf0yfu9810.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 525

kabaldan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net
Alright, so I'm pretty sure I've this all figured out except for one thing. What the crap is this green..... thing on the back of the battery? It's like superglued onto it and I'm thinking it's an antenna of some kind, perhaps for NFC.

BUT, I can basically just connect the RAZR Maxx battery like this to mah phone I'm thinking. (see image)

EB40 (Razr Maxx) and EB41 (Photon Q/Droid 4) batteries have completely different dimensions.

Last edited:

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
Yeah, I know this. I'll just wire it like in my image similar to what the other dude in this thread did with his Triumph.

Wiring a different battery is definitely possible.
I did it on a HD2 clone, using a Mugen battery meant for the Palm PRE.

The hardest part is to find a battery with the correct dimensions, usually find the right one is just matter of luck, given is hard to know the exact dimensions of a battery before buying it.

kabaldan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net

Loader009

Jul 6, 2012
We need 3d printer for back covers!
Or just wait a few month, I think that the back cover will come for the XT897.

pujdo1

Aug 26, 2011
i just wrote to mugen power an email and asked if there is the possibility for a extended battery, as the droid 4 battery fits in the photon and only a bigger backcover is needed. this is what they replayed to me:

Thank you for your email!

I will pass it to our technology and marketing group to see will them make the cover for photon Q.

Will let you know later!

Please contact me if you need any additional info.

Best Regards,

Jan
http://mugen.co

so maybe we have some luck

protivakid

Nov 10, 2011
i just wrote to mugen power an email and asked if there is the possibility for a extended battery, as the droid 4 battery fits in the photon and only a bigger backcover is needed. this is what they replayed to me:

so maybe we have some luck

Just got a Photon Q so I would certainly love if they made a back cover but am doubting they will. Thought of just buying a second cover on ebay and cutting it / using some epoxy to make my own with the Droid 4 battery.

Frostwell

Jul 30, 2015
Dual Battery Photon Q

I know, seems insane but I've been running my phone like this for the past year and have even made a second one which is also running fine. Reason why I did this was because I'd bought a Photon Q in the summer of 2014 (previously with Verizon). The phone was brand new but the battery has been on the shelf so long that it was crap by the time it got to me. So I went and bought a replacement batter on Amazon. It already being a two year old phone, the replacement batteries went for only about $8. So I bought two. Upon receipt, I inspected it an thought of possibly soldering the two together to see what would happen.

Initially, I soldered the primary contacts of both batteries to each other (including the PCB), which didn't work. On my second attempt, I disassembled the housing for the PCB and soldered just the leads of the cells together and kept the PCB of one of the batteries. It powered on and worked properly. In fact, with two batteries, it seemed as so the phone worked faster than it did prior. I'm assuming more stable voltage.

Anywho, if anyone wants a 16 hour Photon Q, this mod works. The only thing that's off though is the battery meter. Since I don't know how to reprogram the PCB, the phone will hit 3% battery life after eight hours of use but will continue on for another eight hours. I've been using my phone like this for about a year now and it also seemed to have learned the new battery life. In recent days, the phone would actually shut off soon after the 3% warning. The second phone came into play because the touch screen stopped working. I tried to fix it but ended up breaking my phone instead.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I know I know. I'm crazy for allowing a lithium cell to be that closely exposed to the atmosphere. Whatevers, yolo. Anyways, the antenna is sandwiched between the two cells, back cover chopped up with a razor, and if you're fans of the car dock, you can take off the top layer, chop off what you need to accomodate the battery, and glue the remainder of the top layer back to the base. Like a glove!

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

Here are some close ups of the twin cell itself

Twin Cell Battery
http://xdaforums.com/album.php?albumid=12422

Reactions: bmccrary

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You cant use multiple cells without special circuitry for charging. The best option is to find a larger cell of the same chemistry and voltage then mod the phone to hold it. Also, you would probably have to sacrifice a working battery to get the connector.

I added a larger cell to my Motorola Triumph
    androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=763108

Sent from my XT897

It's not easy to get that info, but looks like the RAZR battery, altough surely electrically compatible is not the same size.

Razer's one is 1.5 cm longer, and is also narrower.

You cant use multiple cells without special circuitry for charging.

Well, surely you can't put two "smart" batteries in parallel from the outside, but it's feasible opening the battery and connecting properly the cells, internally.

But this must be done by someone who really knows what should be done, to avoid risky situations.

Sent from my XT897

On small batteries like the one you can find on a cellphone "Proper circuit" could be just a couple of resistors to balance the "neighbor" cells.

I'ts way different on bigger batteries, like notebooks' or electric cars' ones.

Given the increased energy stored (and the increased risk) in the latter cases the charging circuitry checks every single cell, not the whole battery as happens on cellphones.

So doubling the capacity of such batteries is a completely different matter, a complete redesign of the charging circuitry (and battery firmware) is needed.
    The main issue is that there's no back cover for Photon Q to fit this battery.

The main issua, as usual for the mugen batteries, is the price.

89$ is more than what I paid the whole Photon Q.

Or, if you prefer, is 15x the price of the original extended motorola battery I'm using on the Phonton 4G