Android on Universal

Search This thread

ZaurusUser

Aug 21, 2008
I installed this onto my main memory, but when I run it I get a blank screen and the phone vibrates continuously, what am I doing wrong? I think this version is supposed to work on the Universal.

this is android for the htc touch. To make it run on a universal you need a different kernel (zImage). I tried the debian kernel and the poky kernel but both of them are not working (I don't get the "blank-screen-and-vibrating" situation with those kernels).
Anyone planning on compiling a kernel for the uni ?

Z.

bull90000

Sep 16, 2006
I own Universal

I own universal and tried wm6, wm6.1, moko linux but i am not satisfied as wm6 and 6.1 / linux is slow and it also do not give video call support plus my device turns off automatically at 75% of my battery power. any help / sugeestions ?

domi007

Feb 21, 2008
Budapest
I own universal and tried wm6, wm6.1, moko linux but i am not satisfied as wm6 and 6.1 / linux is slow and it also do not give video call support plus my device turns off automatically at 75% of my battery power. any help / sugeestions ?

Have a look at the Wiki pages<- there are many solutions for your battery problem.

domi007

Feb 21, 2008
Budapest
What are the main problems with Universal & Android:

Hi Everybody,
I am also a Universal owner. I read through the whole night and find out, what is the main obstacle we have to jump over:
For the Universal the latest kernel, which really works is the kernel from handhelds.org, this is the 2.6.21-hh20 kernel. It boots up, without any problem.
But the Android support only the kernels above 2.6.23 (some sources say above 2.6.25) because some system services of the Android requires the new kernel stuff , which can be only founded in the newer kernels.
So, therefore as I tried to run Android on my Universal, using the one and only kernel it failed, because the init-script couldn't call the proper services.
Now, we have two ways:
1. We port the 2.6.25 kernel to our Universal (it requires many work-afaik because there are lots of drivers, special codes, and so on..)
2. We grab the required stuff from the 2.6.25 kernel, and implement it into our working kernel (it is also not a small weekend job)

Alone I couldn't do this. I think, the 2. version is the better, but to be honest: I don't know. There are some reference guides (How they did port the android for the BlueAngel, which has also the 2.6.21 kernel)

If someone can add something to this, please feel free.
DOMy

tomal

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2006
Dhaka
My 1st thought is...why we need Android in Uni....are there any additional advantages?

Uni has a similarity with BA in some areas, for instance they are both uses the same WLAN controller.

Tutanchamun

May 26, 2008
Nassing^^

I would like to test any version of an ported Android.

But if there are the described problems with the old/newer kernels android uses....we have to build a kernel with the improvements of the newer, but based on the old kernel, shouldn't we?

In fact i dont understand so much of programming and writing a codebased thing...but maybe i can test any version?...

The main advantage of the android platform might be the point, that it has a big community and many people developing solutions for problems, like we know it from the WinMo-community....ist't it so?

Bye....Tutanchamun...:)

domi007

Feb 21, 2008
Budapest
First of all: thank you!

Testers will be needed in the future.
I tried to do the porting, but after 7 days and nights without any success I feel very sad.
I did my best, but it was not enough...

DEVELOPERS:
Why don't you do this little job for us: make a 2.6.25 kernel ready for the Universal??
After that it wouldn't be a big thing to make this kernel Android-compatible...

DOMy

domi007

Feb 21, 2008
Budapest
Hi everybody,
How are you?
Good? Okay.

Oh well, what did I want to say....please help me.... oh, yes, I know already:
First on the world:I GOT ANDROID BOOTING ON MY HTC UNIVERSAL!!!!

Yes, yes, your dreams are now true, the Android boots on the Universal!
Kernel is still 2.6.21-hh20
Android version: 0.8

Notices:
It is a very-very-very ALPHA version: no touch screen, you can only use the built-in keyboard. Slow as the hell (because of it is only version 0.8). Screen driver is not very Android friendly: the displayed picture does some little jumpings (you can see it on the video above).
Nothing works:
GSM-it connects to the network (my friend could ring me, but I didn't see anything on the screen, such as "XY calling you..." and I couldn't aswer with the keys). Outgoing calls: they do not work (Android says: Calling.... and then you get back to the dial pad)
BT/WiFi-I didn't find any setting to control them. I think, it is because of the version of Android.

Programs included in this version of Android:
-Maps: without WiFi and GSM it is equal to nothing
-Browser: same as Maps
-Developer Apps: nothing special
-Dialing: explained above
-Contacts: nothing

So, I must say, that this is only a proof-of concept, that shows us: Android can run on the Universal.

Stay tuned, because I am trying to work on the 1.0 version also.
YouTube Video: Android 0.8 booting on the HTC Universal
(youtube has removed my music :(:mad:)

If anybody needs the files, PM me for them.

Yours,
DOMy

wovens

Oct 20, 2006
Orpington
I get to the red dot going up and down and then ...nothing! Deep freeze.
Can you share your default.txt file, please?

ivorh

Nov 13, 2006
Kernel version

Do you think the kernel still needs updating to 2.6.25? who built the .21 kernel? are there known issues building the later kernels? (i.e. is there any more information on this anywhere?)

Is it worth setting up a wiki page for building/running android to get more people involved?

--edit: ah found the kernel info: http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/UniversalKernel
I'll have a rummage and look at what a newer kernel needs when I have some time.

--edit: ok I got the 2.6.21-hh kernel source compiled for arm. I'll see if I can work out what the patches are that need applying to a later kernel.

Thanks
Ivor.

Last edited:

F_R_I_T_Z

Jan 14, 2008
Waw good news, someone still trying..
doesnt work in mine G3..
but hoope listen news from this front. i cant wait the day i can ride off wm from mine device.

Thanks..

ivorh

Nov 13, 2006
I'm afraid the http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/UniversalKernel page is not maintained anymore, in the fooder you can read:
Immutable page (last edited 2007-09-09 07:48:07 by PadSki)

Hi, yes sure I noticed that although I did successfully build the 2.6.21-hh kernel following those instructions.
I just wondered if the information was being updated anywhere else? or if anyone was already patching a more recent kernel before I spend too much time doing so myself.
Does anyone know if there are details of the individual patches in the "-hh" kernel? (the only page I found was again very outdated) or what patches are still required and which have made their way upstream?

domi007 I've dropped you a PM.

Many thanks,
Ivor.

domi007

Feb 21, 2008
Budapest
In 2 days I will give you a detailed post about the connection between kernel versions and Android versions, patches etc. everythinbg in this topic

But now I am doing practicing exercises for my German Language exam, which I will try to get today and tomorrow (it is a high level exam and takes 2 days to pass) and I want to ignore everything non-German.

DOMy

Top Liked Posts