Wifi issue related to root?

Search This thread

Dbrock1980

Mar 26, 2011
Hi Folks,
I have been postponing this post but nothing ive seemed to do has worked. I THINK after i rooted my issues started. I am unable to browse the net or anything when connected to my wifi. I have reset the router, forgotten and rejoined the network with no avail. All my other devices do not have this issue. Im not really sure what else to say so maybe some of you gurus could pick my brain. Though this is a wifi only issue and on this network. When connected to other networks im fine. My setup is as follows. I have a hard line going from the router the ISP provided in the other end of the house to the router in my room. Like i said my phone is the only device that has issues on this network.

thanks in advance.

BadKarma81

Jun 17, 2014
Columbia, SC
Hi Folks,
I have been postponing this post but nothing ive seemed to do has worked. I THINK after i rooted my issues started. I am unable to browse the net or anything when connected to my wifi. I have reset the router, forgotten and rejoined the network with no avail. All my other devices do not have this issue. Im not really sure what else to say so maybe some of you gurus could pick my brain. Though this is a wifi only issue and on this network. When connected to other networks im fine. My setup is as follows. I have a hard line going from the router the ISP provided in the other end of the house to the router in my room. Like i said my phone is the only device that has issues on this network.

thanks in advance.
That's a pretty strange issue, not sure there is going to be much help... I've had some strange, random issues with my S5. I had issues with wireless, xposed and some other apps after rooting the first time. I got tired of it and used Odin to reflash the stock firmware, then performed a factory reset and rooted afterwords. I haven't had any problems at all after doing this... In all honesty, that's the route I would go if I were you. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, hope you get sorted out :)

Last edited:

jpk17

Aug 9, 2012
Hoffman Estates
That's a pretty strange issue, not sure there is going to be much help... I've had some strange, random issues with my S5. I had issues with wireless, xposed and some other apps after rooting the first time. I got tired of it and used Odin to reflash the stock firmware, then performed a factory reset and rooted afterwords. I haven't had any problems at all after doing this... In all honesty, that's the route I would go if I were you. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, hope you get sorted out :)

Just wanted to agree with BadKarma on this. I've not had your exact issue, but I have had some similar stuff after rooting originally. I used Odin to go back to stock and rooted again and have been no issues since. Hope it works out. . .

Dbrock1980

Mar 26, 2011
Just wanted to agree with BadKarma on this. I've not had your exact issue, but I have had some similar stuff after rooting originally. I used Odin to go back to stock and rooted again and have been no issues since. Hope it works out. . .

well i used odin and got back but it turns out it seems to be the router? im on stock with no root and still cant access the net or anything else when im connected to the router. any thoughts on this?

talktosamson

Dec 2, 2012
Try connecting standing right next to the router. I had this issue with my Note 2 and it ended up being a physical issue with the wireless chip or antennas. It's actually the reason I'm not on a S5.

Broadley1

Apr 12, 2012
Not that u want to hear this, but I had to replace my router for the same reason. My router would only pick up certain devices, had to do with hardware and firewall security settings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Dbrock1980

Mar 26, 2011
Ok so i changed to security in my router to aes and tkip and i was able to connect and browse the net and so forth. but i just got home and connected and wasnt able to get access to the net again. i tried forgetting network and re-entering it with no luck. :(

armeN0317

Jun 3, 2011
Ok so i changed to security in my router to aes and tkip and i was able to connect and browse the net and so forth. but i just got home and connected and wasnt able to get access to the net again. i tried forgetting network and re-entering it with no luck. :(

First and foremost you have to isolate the issue to either ur phone or the router. In order to do that its very simple.... can you connect to wifi outside of your house like starbucks or friends wfii? If the answer is yes than the issue lies solely with your router. Let me know what you find out and I can help guide you <---- systems administrator ;) Also please provide the make and model of your router as well as your modem and your ISP.

EDIT: I just read the line where you talk about having another router in your room. I can already tell you this is probably NOT an issue with your phone but rather your setup. The secondary router must be setup as a repeater or bridge OR on a different subnet. This gets very tricky for average home user and I do not recommend you tackle it on your own. Also your main router has to be able to play nice with the secondary and if it's one provided by your ISP it's probably a POS. Also your phone is probably not the only device having issues with this setup.... its the only one you are noticing having issues. Android OS is very sensitive to weird wifi setups and anything out of the norm will set it off. It's actually a great tool in diagnosing wifi issues.

Last edited:

Dbrock1980

Mar 26, 2011
First and foremost you have to isolate the issue to either ur phone or the router. In order to do that its very simple.... can you connect to wifi outside of your house like starbucks or friends wfii? If the answer is yes than the issue lies solely with your router. Let me know what you find out and I can help guide you <---- systems administrator ;) Also please provide the make and model of your router as well as your modem and your ISP.

EDIT: I just read the line where you talk about having another router in your room. I can already tell you this is probably NOT an issue with your phone but rather your setup. The secondary router must be setup as a repeater or bridge OR on a different subnet. This gets very tricky for average home user and I do not recommend you tackle it on your own. Also your main router has to be able to play nice with the secondary and if it's one provided by your ISP it's probably a POS. Also your phone is probably not the only device having issues with this setup.... its the only one you are noticing having issues. Android OS is very sensitive to weird wifi setups and anything out of the norm will set it off. It's actually a great tool in diagnosing wifi issues.

Hi there thanks for the reply. Yes i can connect to any other router without issue. The router is my Router Info:
Name N300 Wireless Router
Model F9K1002v5 (01B)
Firmware 5.00.15(Nov 1 2013)
Serial No. 12349GC2508237
Boot Loader 0.12

I use my tablet and other pcs within this wifi. It is under a different subnet as well. (i think so been a while since ive done any networking) The main router that comes in has the standard IP 192.168.1.1 and the IP for my router in my room (basically set up like this since my room is quite far and gets bad signal from the main router, Cable in -> Main Router -> Hardwire hooked into a port -> ethernet run to my room -> Connected to a port on the wireless router) 192.168.2.1. My ISP is Optimumn Online. My wifi was working fine until about 10 mins ago. seems to happen so often. I did change the security a while back to TKIP + AES on the router and made sure it was the same on the phone and it was working fine for days until like i said about 10 mins ago.

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
Not that u want to hear this, but I had to replace my router for the same reason. My router would only pick up certain devices, had to do with hardware and firewall security settings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

This leads me to think that perhaps the router (however old or new) may have a setting, or an actual limit, on how many devices connect to it.

If not that, perhaps if you rooted, and tried removing bloat, you may have been a bit overzealous and removed something related to WiFi and are now having this issue as a result.

I have only removed the list of apps and bloat that have been posted on Ricks Rom HERE. The ONLY problem I have seen since removing this list, was that I can no longer access PhotoVault correctly. Gives me an error saying that it has no connection to the database, but my 4G is working fine at the time as I was downloading via steam and streaming a movie, and playing a PC game at the same time...

armeN0317

Jun 3, 2011
Hi there thanks for the reply. Yes i can connect to any other router without issue. The router is my Router Info:
Name N300 Wireless Router
Model F9K1002v5 (01B)
Firmware 5.00.15(Nov 1 2013)
Serial No. 12349GC2508237
Boot Loader 0.12

I use my tablet and other pcs within this wifi. It is under a different subnet as well. (i think so been a while since ive done any networking) The main router that comes in has the standard IP 192.168.1.1 and the IP for my router in my room (basically set up like this since my room is quite far and gets bad signal from the main router, Cable in -> Main Router -> Hardwire hooked into a port -> ethernet run to my room -> Connected to a port on the wireless router) 192.168.2.1. My ISP is Optimumn Online. My wifi was working fine until about 10 mins ago. seems to happen so often. I did change the security a while back to TKIP + AES on the router and made sure it was the same on the phone and it was working fine for days until like i said about 10 mins ago.

You have the right setup with a different subnet. It's possible the main router is assigning the same IP address that your router has to another device. It would be best if you picked up another router that has repeater capabilities and set it up in repeater mode. Also reserve an IP address for your router from the main router to avoid IP conflicts.

Another possibility is simply the wifi on your router is deteriorating and it's time for a replacement. I recommend the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 if you don't mind spending the $$$. If your on a bit of a budget the Netgear N900 (WNDR4500v2) is the next best thing that supports repeater mode.

Dbrock1980

Mar 26, 2011
well its been still working intermediary. I have to unplug the router and plug it back in then i can browse the net on my phone. idk if id like to lay out that kind of money for a new router. there has to be something else thats causing it. i set the router to reboot everyday, also my phone. its odd though. sometimes it works sometimes it dosent.