Free Xprivacy permission/privacy manager
"XPrivacy can prevent applications from leaking privacy sensitive data.
XPrivacy can restrict the categories of data an application can access. This is done by feeding an application with no or fake data.
There are several data categories which can be restricted, for example contacts or location. For example, if you restrict access to contacts for an application, this will result in sending an empty contact list to the application. Similarly, restricting an application's access to your location will result in a set location being sent to the application."
on the original xda thread
, or github
. The authors describe how it is better than other privacy solutions
xposed installer is a framework for modules (such as xprivacy). This has the potential to allow tremendous customization of your ROM without having to flash a custom ROM.
1. requires xposed installer (which requires root access) before installing xprivacy (i.e. both files need to be installed)
2. files are designed for Android 4+, but there is a version that works with Gingerbread
3. will work on almost any android ROM. Works on my locked, stock, 2.3.4 sprint ROM.
How to install:
First step for everything you do: Create a nandroid backup and make sure you know how to restore it!
For the framework:
1. Download XposedInstaller.apk (for the corresponding version android ROM you have) and install it
2. Launch the Xposed Installer, go to the "Framework" section and click on "Install/Update"
For any modules you want to install:
1. Download <module>.apk and install it (get the version for your corresponding android ROM)
2. Launch the Xposed Installer and go to the "Modules" section
3. Enable the module by checking the checkbox (verification stage)
credit: rovo89, M66B, liudongmiao, et al.