Stop the panic!

Search This thread

riso123

Dec 3, 2010
I am sewing lots of people panicking because of some issues with some devices received.

I see this with nearly every handset I have owned, especially at the beginning.

It's as though a chain reaction starts when someone has a fault, others then look for the same fault, over analyse the phone and almost will themselves in to believing a small scratch or blemish is the same thing as the original complainant.

Out of all those who had "faulty" devices, how many do you think got perfectly working devices?

Don't have a knee jerk reaction and jump ship until you actually have a major problem with your own device. Give the manufacturer a chance first.

Sorry, just had to their this out there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

riso123

Dec 3, 2010
And sorry for all the spelling mistakes... Damn predictive text and lazy proof reading ;)

BanziBaby

Oct 21, 2010
Gotta agree with everything you wrote there, I've seen folk post saying it been delayed I'm buying something else, plus the hysteria over the phone getting too hot or the ringtones ain't loud enough etc etc.

Reactions: riso123

riginal

Jan 2, 2011
I am sewing lots of people panicking because of some issues with some devices received.

It's as though a chain reaction starts when someone has a fault, others then look for the same fault, over analyse the phone and almost will themselves in to believing a small scratch or blemish is the same thing as the original complainant.

Out of all those who had "faulty" devices, how many do you think got perfectly working devices?

Don't have a knee jerk reaction and jump ship until you actually have a major problem with your own device. Give the manufacturer a chance first.

"Give the manufacture a chance" is easy to say if you live somewhere where these phones have reasonable price or return window or good warranty...

Here where I live it's not like that, I have to pay more than a month's income for a flagship, sometimes a 24h return window if the device has a real issue sometimes not even that, also no proper warranty for Sony devices here, So I consider myself all the right to nitpick & panic

Cheers

Reactions: unni_kmr and g4rvd4

SuperMarioGalaxy

Apr 7, 2013
"Give the manufacture a chance" is easy to say if you live somewhere where these phones have reasonable price or return window or good warranty...

Here where I live it's not like that, I have to pay more than a month's income for a flagship, sometimes a 24h return window if the device has a real issue sometimes not even that, also no proper warranty for Sony devices here, So I consider myself all the right to nitpick & panic

Cheers
Well if you have to pay over a months income to get a flagship, why are you getting one in the first place? As with everything else in life, everything just goes the way it goes. You won't get a faulty phone, and if you do, then its meant like that and you can learn from it. Just turn everything into positives.

riso123

Dec 3, 2010
Well if you have to pay over a months income to get a flagship, why are you getting one in the first place? As with everything else in life, everything just goes the way it goes. You won't get a faulty phone, and if you do, then its meant like that and you can learn from it. Just turn everything into positives.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Reactions: Auzarin

unni_kmr

Dec 24, 2012
I have been badly burned by multiple devices in the past.
1. Sony K810i (7 years back) - found out speaker was damaged 5 days after purchase. As @riginal pointed out, I was at a place where I cannot return the device the moment I walk out of the shop. By the end of one year, everything except battery in that phone was replaced. I had bought that model several months after it was released.
2. HP DV5 1015TX Laptop (6 years ago) - replaced display 3 times over a 1.5 year period because of the same issue. Lucky that I had warranty extension.
3. Asus TF700T - If I see the guy who tested it, I will hit him with the tablet until it breaks. I am not joking.
4. Nexus 7 2013 - replaced speaker 2 months after purchase.
5. Dell XPS 9530 Laptop - paid $2000 and got a machine that makes whining sound, throttles games to unplayable FPS.

After these kind of experiences, when I got my Nexus 5, I returned it without zero hesitation twice - first because of the yellow tint and second time because of the dead pixel. There should be zero tolerance when it comes to devices. I pay expecting a fully functional product. I am not paying to be their tester. Its high time companies are penalized for releasing defective units. If they can't ensure consistent quality, at least I should get a full refund even if it is after 1 year.

If the companies cannot guarantee that there would be defects during the initial launch period, either they should offer extended warranty with the guarantee that if its a factory defect, we will get a new phone no matter when it was reported.

Edit: Added item 2.

Last edited:

kersey

May 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20
1. Sony K810i (7 years back) - found out speaker was damaged 5 days after purchase. As @riginal pointed out, I was at a place where I cannot return the device the moment I walk out of the shop. By the end of one year, everything except battery in that phone was replaced. I had bought that model several months after it was released.
2. Asus TF700T - If I see the guy who tested it, I will hit him with the tablet until it breaks. I am not joking.
3. Nexus 7 2013 - replaced speaker 2 months after purchase.
4. Dell XPS 9530 - paid $2000 and got a machine that makes whining sound, throttles games to unplayable FPS.

After these kind of experiences, when I got my Nexus 5, I returned it without zero hesitation twice - first because of the yellow tint and second time because of the dead pixel. There should be zero tolerance when it comes to devices. I pay expecting a fully functional product. I am not paying to be their tester. Its high time companies are penalized for releasing defective units. If they can't ensure consistent quality, at least I should get a full refund even if it is after 1 year.

If the companies cannot guarantee that there would be defects during the initial launch period, either they should offer extended warranty with the guarantee that if its a factory defect, we will get a new phone no matter when it was reported.

I think you must be cursed mate [emoji50]

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

unni_kmr

Dec 24, 2012
I think you must be cursed mate [emoji50]

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
I have added one more - #2. :)
I too often think like that - whether I am cursed or if I am being punished by God for spending money on gadgets. There were a few who didn't give me problems as well- Galaxy S2, PS4, Sony TV..

riso123

Dec 3, 2010
I have added one more - #2. :)
I too often think like that - whether I am cursed or if I am being punished by God for spending money on gadgets. There were a few who didn't give me problems as well- Galaxy S2, PS4, Sony TV..

But all that doesn't mean it's going to happen to you with this device. Plus you could argue that you should learn from experience and wait for the device to mature before you leap in to a purchase of a newly released flagship device.

All this strikes me as nothing more than mass hysteria still. You can't judge a device and declare it as faulty before you have it in your hand.

Reactions: Publicglutton

riginal

Jan 2, 2011

If you really want the answer for your first question I'll manage, I usually keep whatever cellphone I buy for 2-3 years and right now I have Xperia X10 & wasn't gonna upgrade but my beloved X10 finally died on me & if I buy something I want to buy the latest & the greatest so yeah I manage but that doesn't mean I can afford to buy a premium device with premium price just to see it die a week later & toss it way only because there was a gap in the device & it wasn't waterproof as advertised, So I really appreciate people here nitpicking, It helps me make my decision between this, Note 3 & M8

and what to you mean it's meant like that? turn everything into positives? do we really need to get philosophical on this? I mean seriously is it asking too much to get a solid device as advertised for the price I pay?

Anyways don't really understand the purpose of this thread, Everyone here are just stating facts & sharing their experience with the device which unfortunately happens to involve high temperature, build quality issues, low ringtone...I don't really complain or nag, actually no one does except for the op of this thread

Reactions: AirSupply

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. HP DV5 1015TX Laptop (6 years ago) - replaced display 3 times over a 1.5 year period because of the same issue. Lucky that I had warranty extension.
    3. Asus TF700T - If I see the guy who tested it, I will hit him with the tablet until it breaks. I am not joking.
    4. Nexus 7 2013 - replaced speaker 2 months after purchase.
    5. Dell XPS 9530 Laptop - paid $2000 and got a machine that makes whining sound, throttles games to unplayable FPS.

Edit: Added item 2.
    Gotta agree with everything you wrote there, I've seen folk post saying it been delayed I'm buying something else, plus the hysteria over the phone getting too hot or the ringtones ain't loud enough etc etc.

The ringtones ain't loud enough? Better cancel my pre-order then :silly:

Cheers

If you really want the answer for your first question I'll manage, I usually keep whatever cellphone I buy for 2-3 years and right now I have Xperia X10 & wasn't gonna upgrade but my beloved X10 finally died on me & if I buy something I want to buy the latest & the greatest so yeah I manage but that doesn't mean I can afford to buy a premium device with premium price just to see it die a week later & toss it way only because there was a gap in the device & it wasn't waterproof as advertised, So I really appreciate people here nitpicking, It helps me make my decision between this, Note 3 & M8

and what to you mean it's meant like that? turn everything into positives? do we really need to get philosophical on this? I mean seriously is it asking too much to get a solid device as advertised for the price I pay?

Anyways don't really understand the purpose of this thread, Everyone here are just stating facts & sharing their experience with the device which unfortunately happens to involve high temperature, build quality issues, low ringtone...I don't really complain or nag, actually no one does except for the op of this thread