NC2 or NC5?

Search This thread

FatCat0

Feb 8, 2014
I currently have NC2, which supposedly has some security advantages over NC4 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727876). Does this mean I should not upgrade beyond NC2 or just not take an OTA update beyond NC2, and deodexed stuff posted by reputable people here are okay to flash? Also I vaguely remember having to put NC4 bands or kernel or something in when I updated to NC2 (NC4 was already out at the time). Is there an equivalent for NC5 that should be updated, regardless of whether I stay with NC2 or not?

K03WL3R

Feb 25, 2012
I currently have NC2, which supposedly has some security advantages over NC4 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727876). Does this mean I should not upgrade beyond NC2 or just not take an OTA update beyond NC2, and deodexed stuff posted by reputable people here are okay to flash? Also I vaguely remember having to put NC4 bands or kernel or something in when I updated to NC2 (NC4 was already out at the time). Is there an equivalent for NC5 that should be updated, regardless of whether I stay with NC2 or not?

If you're already on NC2 I wouldn't take any OTA. And yes, roms are safe to flash.

FatCat0

Feb 8, 2014
If you're already on NC2 I wouldn't take any OTA. And yes, roms are safe to flash.

I know roms are fine. I am having an issue because I would like to use a rom which doesn't interface with NC2.

I think my confusion comes from the term OTA. That means "Over The Air", as in "sent directly from Verizon to my phone", correct? I know not to accept the verizon updates. Is this a rom update and not firmware at all? Or at least it won't remove any capability from having NC2 installed http://galaxys4root.com/verizon-gal...c5-root-for-verizon-galaxy-s4-mdk-bootloader/

Is it just the baseband that I don't want to update beyond NC2?

I'm sorry, the different terminology is a little confusing and I don't want to do something that restricts the functionality of my phone and can't be undone.

By the way, my concern over this issue stems from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727876

So whatever he's talking about there is that to which I'm referring here.

kinstre11

Jul 6, 2014
Hobe Sound
I know roms are fine. I am having an issue because I would like to use a rom which doesn't interface with NC2.

I think my confusion comes from the term OTA. That means "Over The Air", as in "sent directly from Verizon to my phone", correct? I know not to accept the verizon updates. Is this a rom update and not firmware at all? Or at least it won't remove any capability from having NC2 installed http://galaxys4root.com/verizon-gal...c5-root-for-verizon-galaxy-s4-mdk-bootloader/

I'm sorry, the different terminology is a little confusing and I don't want to do something that restricts the functionality of my phone and can't be undone.

By the way, my concern over this issue stems from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727876

The Verizon OTA update is a firmware update. The difference between NC2 & NC4 is that the first was a leaked non-official bootloader. The benefits that came along with it were the ability to flash backwards to previous bootloaders, and some unique possibilities related to the kernel. Once on NC4 you cannot flash backwards, but the NC2 kernel can be flashed on top of the NC4 bootloader so that it retains all the benefits of NC2 except the ability to go back from kitkat to jellybean.

NC5, which you have provided a link to is an S4 firmware, NC2/NC4 are Note 3 firmwares. If odin even let you flash the NC5 tar it would at the very least soft brick your phone.

I would say that unless you want to go back to jellybean at some point there is no reason not to be on the NC4 bootloader with NC2 kernel as NC4 is the official bootloader, however the opinions across the forums may vary. What is clear is that taking any OTA update is unwise if you want to maintain root access to your phone. This community is full of developers that dedicate their time to providing us with a way to keep our phones as close to the way we want them as possible, for without them we would be on our own and many of us would never experience the possibilities. Thank God for devs.

I hope this helped. :cowboy:

Reactions: FatCat0 and K03WL3R

FatCat0

Feb 8, 2014
The Verizon OTA update is a firmware update. The difference between NC2 & NC4 is that the first was a leaked non-official bootloader. The benefits that came along with it were the ability to flash backwards to previous bootloaders, and some unique possibilities related to the kernel. Once on NC4 you cannot flash backwards, but the NC2 kernel can be flashed on top of the NC4 bootloader so that it retains all the benefits of NC2 except the ability to go back from kitkat to jellybean.

NC5, which you have provided a link to is an S4 firmware, NC2/NC4 are Note 3 firmwares. If odin even let you flash the NC5 tar it would at the very least soft brick your phone.

I would say that unless you want to go back to jellybean at some point there is no reason not to be on the NC4 bootloader with NC2 kernel as NC4 is the official bootloader, however the opinions across the forums may vary. What is clear is that taking any OTA update is unwise if you want to maintain root access to your phone. This community is full of developers that dedicate their time to providing us with a way to keep our phones as close to the way we want them as possible, for without them we would be on our own and many of us would never experience the possibilities. Thank God for devs.

Whoops, yeah somehow I ended up there and assumed I was on the galaxynote3 variant of that website and didn't notice. This explains why when I searched the note3 forums for NC5 I got no results! This also explains why Hyperdrive 17.1 doesn't load on my phone! Man, I just lost almost two days because I ended up in the wrong Hyperdrive topic.

Thanks for the help! One last question (I just want to make sure that I have all of this right): If I want to move to NC4, I can take, for example, a deodexed version of the NC4 ROM, flash that in Safestrap, then find an NC4 bootloader and install that via odin? Or do I not need to do the bootloader step?

kinstre11

Jul 6, 2014
Hobe Sound
If you want to go fully to NC4 you need to flash the stock tar via odin. File can be found here.
The NC4 rom found here, however this is not the firmware for the bootloader. It can be flashed on the NC2 bootloader.
The first link is the firmware for the NC4 bootloader, the second link is a stock rom and instructions on how to get the NC2 kernel with either NC2 or NC4 bootloaders.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.