[Q] help recovering pictures - stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

e.l8ion

Mar 9, 2014
My device is stuck in a bootloop. I can get into recovery mode and I can get into download mode. ADB does not connect in bootloop but it will connect while in recovery mode. I think I'm rooted but su from ADB recovery mode doesn't work.

The following is displayed while in download mode:
from boot menu:
product name: sgh-t999
custom binary download: yes (1 counts)
current binary: custom
system status: custom

While in ADB in recovery mode I can't seem to get root (su doesn't work).
I can't root my device because I don't know what version of rom to root to.
I thought my device was rooted but it doesn't act rooted in adb.
I'm willing to reroot but I don't know what version to reroot to.

Is rooting the os and rooting the recovery partition different?
Can I install a custom recovery without wiping the device?

My end goal is to get my pictures. Everything else is replaceable. Yes.... I should have had them all backed up. Got it..... let's please move on.

So how do I recover the pictures or get out of bootloop or gain recovery mode root given the limited information that I have.

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this one,

Channon

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Please wipe Dalvik and Cache in recovery. See if that helps you out of the bootloop. If it doesn't then you will have to post Android version, Recovery name and version. Also include steps you took to root.

Reactions: e.l8ion

e.l8ion

Mar 9, 2014
android version from recovery?

I have access to my proc file system in recovery but I can't find android version anywhere in the log data. Any thoughts on where to find the version information in recovery mode?

Dalvik and Cache were both cleared. Bootloop persists. Got message that apps were optimizing after Dalvik and Cache were emptied but still ended up at the Samsung screen with the gentle pulsing blue behind the logo with the little mini vibrations every 3-5 seconds.

I did flash twrp and got files from file manager last night so the emergency is over. I would still like to be able to get my phone back. Thoughts on getting version data so that I can reflash my phone.

Factory will work as a last resort, but it would be nice to be able to avoid it.

Thanks so much!

Channon

d4n13

Nov 24, 2010
OK... I'm helping her out, and we found the build version (I think). The stock recovery image has different (worse) log data than the TWRP recovery image. TWRP populates recovery.log with the following line:
ro.build.description=d2uc-user 4.1.2 JZO54K T999UVDMD5 release-keys
So I'm guessing she's running JellyBean 4.1.2. I'll go ahead and move on with MrRobinson ODIN root method for stock 4.1.2 and hope that does the trick

Wish us luck.

Last edited:

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
from boot menu:
That tells me your android version was less than 4.3 If you had 4.3, there would have been additional line of
SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

So I'd try Root66 of UVDMD5 via Odin. That flash won't wipe user apps or data.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Factory Reset and re-Odin. I know that's bad, but you don't have a way out.

You could try to get a Nandroid and then later use Nandroid Manager to pick and choose apps and data out of that nandroid.

e.l8ion

Mar 9, 2014
yep. factory reset done. thanks all

You could try to get a Nandroid and then later use Nandroid Manager to pick and choose apps and data out of that nandroid.

And the beat goes on. Factory reset was performed successfully. pics were saved. camscanner docs saved. This scenario is not a mistake I will make twice. stressful. I'm embarrassed to say how many pics of my kiddos I nearly lost.

I really was minding my own business on this one and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with my phone. I don't download obscure trivial apps, I don't surf websites with my device. I read the news, do simple look-ups, maps, minecraft, kindle, camscan, emails, text, and talk. I don't even do much fbing cause I'm sick to death of fb. I watch surf, read, on my tablets or laptops. Innocent android bystander here. :angel: I saw a little dead android robot on the screen with a red triangle sticking out of its gut and I felt sick. I wanted a standing up happy android robot with a pretty blue spinning ball.

A big shout-out to everyone who read my posts and offered suggestions. I'm grateful and appreciative to all. Thank goodness there are experts out there to help those of us with talents in other areas. Please keep up the excellent work!

Channon

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
@e.l8ion

Glad it all worked out. Just a suggestion for next time. Either flash a Custom Recovery and make regular Nandroids or use Titanium Backup. Make sure to set backup location to external SD card. Also for the Camera set External SD as default storage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please wipe Dalvik and Cache in recovery. See if that helps you out of the bootloop. If it doesn't then you will have to post Android version, Recovery name and version. Also include steps you took to root.
    OK... I'm helping her out, and we found the build version (I think). The stock recovery image has different (worse) log data than the TWRP recovery image. TWRP populates recovery.log with the following line:
    ro.build.description=d2uc-user 4.1.2 JZO54K T999UVDMD5 release-keys
    So I'm guessing she's running JellyBean 4.1.2. I'll go ahead and move on with MrRobinson ODIN root method for stock 4.1.2 and hope that does the trick

Wish us luck.
    from boot menu:
    That tells me your android version was less than 4.3 If you had 4.3, there would have been additional line of
    SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Thx... Downloading now... 30 min left to go.