Xperia Z Ultra GPE Rom/root questions

Search This thread

LazarusDark

Feb 16, 2014
I have a Z Ultra GPE.
CM11 will not install from CWM or TWRP recovery.
I have the dual recovery from doomlord from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2579005
I try to install the CM11 zip and it fails, it says "this package is for c6808, c6806_gpe, togari, togari_gpe devices; this is a honami"
I do not have a honami/z1, but the CM11 nightly zip seems to think I do.
Whats the deal?
Did doomlord perhaps use some z1 files to make the recovery? (I can't comment in that developer thread)

The stock rom is nice, better than any skin. I'd have never bought a Sony device, or the Z Ultra specifically if Google had never released a version. But after having CM for like four years, on my OG Droid and then my Galaxy Nexus, I find myself really, really missing some of the CM features.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
You are trying to flash the CM11 GPe build from Cyanogenmod.com? I guess there's something wrong with the recovery :p

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
I have a Z Ultra GPE.
CM11 will not install from CWM or TWRP recovery.
I have the dual recovery from doomlord from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2579005
I try to install the CM11 zip and it fails, it says "this package is for c6808, c6806_gpe, togari, togari_gpe devices; this is a honami"
I do not have a honami/z1, but the CM11 nightly zip seems to think I do.
Whats the deal?
Did doomlord perhaps use some z1 files to make the recovery? (I can't comment in that developer thread)

The stock rom is nice, better than any skin. I'd have never bought a Sony device, or the Z Ultra specifically if Google had never released a version. But after having CM for like four years, on my OG Droid and then my Galaxy Nexus, I find myself really, really missing some of the CM features.

yep the recoveries for 4.4 were based on the Z1 stuff from @krabappel2548, you should be able to flash the boot.img in the zip using the instructions in @DooMLoRD's thread
ie:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot

LazarusDark

Feb 16, 2014
You are trying to flash the CM11 GPe build from Cyanogenmod.com? I guess there's something wrong with the recovery :p

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
Correct. I have unlocked the boot loader using the official Sony method.
I flashed the dual recovery from doomlord successfully.
When I try to install the latest CM11 nightly zip from recovery, it gives me the error message I quoted.
Some code in the recovery seems to be from the Z1 and CM11 won't install because of it.
Which makes me wonder, if the CM11 nightly exists for the gpe version, SOMEONE is installing it successfully, so how are they doing it?
I spent 6+ hours scouring Google but the doomlord recovery is literally all I've found. There seems to be no other info on getting cm11 onto the z ultra gpe.
(I am aware that this phone is going to have limited dev support, but it someone seems to be working on it.)

CCJ22

Jun 11, 2011
Little Rock
When I try to install the latest CM11 nightly zip from recovery, it gives me the error message I quoted.
Some code in the recovery seems to be from the Z1 and CM11 won't install because of it.
Which makes me wonder, if the CM11 nightly exists for the gpe version, SOMEONE is installing it successfully, so how are they doing it?
I spent 6+ hours scouring Google but the doomlord recovery is literally all I've found. There seems to be no other info on getting cm11 onto the z ultra gpe.
(I am aware that this phone is going to have limited dev support, but it someone seems to be working on it.)
I'm interested to know as all. I've unlocked the bootloader on my gpe ultra but stopped there cause i can't find a recovery that works with cm11

Leechoonhwee

Apr 30, 2006

Use the boot.img from CM.

Sent from my C6833_GPe using Tapatalk

LazarusDark

Feb 16, 2014
isn't there one in the CM11 rom?

Use the boot.img from CM.

Sent from my C6833_GPe using Tapatalk

Aha.
Okay. I've put CM on over half a dozen devices before but never had to do this before, the recoveries I got from other places always worked.
I unzipped the togari_gpe rom on my pc and there is a boot.img file in there.
So just to be clear, this is the img that I should flash, then install the CM zip (presumably that boot.img should have CWM on it?)
I do kinda like doomlord's recovery though, I could probably re-flash that after installing CM, right? (or would I have to reflash the CM recovery every time I wanted to update CM?)

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Yup, boot into fastboot, flash it with ADB (command is in the OP) or QuickIMG, turn off the phone and boot into recovery and flash the ROM.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

LazarusDark

Feb 16, 2014
Yup, boot into fastboot, flash it with ADB (command is in the OP) or QuickIMG, turn off the phone and boot into recovery and flash the ROM.

Sorry, no, thats not it at all.
I flashed the boot.img from the cm zip
I rebooted per the commands and it was stuck at a Sony splash screen forever
So I had to turn it off with the power+volup+voldown (which I makes me nervous every time I have to do that).
I then booted into fastboot again, went to recovery, and I just get the android (!) screen, there is no recovery there.
So I had to reinstall the DooMLoRD recovery again to get it to boot.

So. I'm thinking, maybe do I have to rename the cm zip to update.zip, put it on the phone, then flash the cm boot.img, then go to recovery and does it automatically install CM then? Sorry if this seems obvious, but like I said I've put CM on a half dozen devices and never had issues like this.
(also, if this is correct, where do i put the update.zip? in "sdcard0/ "? last time I had to do something like that was on my OG droid, years and years ago. Here I thought I was pretty good at this, but it's making me feel like a noob again :p )

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
But yes, that's it. You are clearly doing something wrong. It won't automatically boot into recovery after you've flashed boot.img. It hangs on the Sony screen bacause the boot.img isn't compatible with the ROM, so you have to press VOL UP when the LED lights up, and you'll boot into recovery. That's all.

trooper1414

May 15, 2012
But yes, that's it. You are clearly doing something wrong. It won't automatically boot into recovery after you've flashed boot.img. It hangs on the Sony screen bacause the boot.img isn't compatible with the ROM, so you have to press VOL UP when the LED lights up, and you'll boot into recovery. That's all.

Dint want to start a new thread....can you point me to how i can flash the GPE rom to my XZU. I currently dont have my bootloader unlocked or rooted and i am running the latest update from Sony. Can you point me to the right posting or can someone give me a detailed procedure.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Dint want to start a new thread....can you point me to how i can flash the GPE rom to my XZU. I currently dont have my bootloader unlocked or rooted and i am running the latest update from Sony. Can you point me to the right posting or can someone give me a detailed procedure.

Have you backed up your TA partition? If yes:

- Unlock your bootloader with Flashtool (request the unlock key from Sony first)
- Request the unlock key and check your mail straight away. Email is quick these days.
- Open Flashtool on your computer (yes, the one you installed earlier)
- Click the "BLU" icon
- Follow the steps and enter your unlock key

- Flash boot.img w/ADB or QuickIMG
- Press VOL UP when the LED comes on. Press it until the LED changes color.
- Flash GPe ROM
- Do a full wipe
- Reboot and you're done

trooper1414

May 15, 2012
Have you backed up your TA partition? If yes:

- Unlock your bootloader with Flashtool (request the unlock key from Sony first)
- Request the unlock key and check your mail straight away. Email is quick these days.
- Open Flashtool on your computer (yes, the one you installed earlier)
- Click the "BLU" icon
- Follow the steps and enter your unlock key

- Flash boot.img w/ADB or QuickIMG
- Press VOL UP when the LED comes on. Press it until the LED changes color.
- Flash GPe ROM
- Do a full wipe
- Reboot and you're done

Have not backed up the TA partition ..i guess ill first look into how I can do that.....Also any known issues with the GPE port/rom and would i be able to revert back to stock (I`m guessing reverting back to stock should be a no brainer)?

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Have not backed up the TA partition ..i guess ill first look into how I can do that.....Also any known issues with the GPE port/rom and would i be able to revert back to stock (I`m guessing reverting back to stock should be a no brainer)?

Correct. It's easy to revert. Check out the guide in the general section for more help.

LazarusDark

Feb 16, 2014

Okaaay.
It seems odd that after flashing the CM boot.img and rebooting, entering fastboot again and then selecting recovery, it does not open CWM.
But I reflashed the CM boot.img again, then rebooted, and pressed vol-up.
That did the trick, it went to CWM and installing CM was business as usual from that point.

Is vol-up a Sony thing or are lots/all non-Nexus devices like this? (I had assumed it was just how DooMLoRD's recovery worked, which is why I didn't even think to try the volup thing again to get to recovery)

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Okaaay.
It seems odd that after flashing the CM boot.img and rebooting, entering fastboot again and then selecting recovery, it does not open CWM.
But I reflashed the CM boot.img again, then rebooted, and pressed vol-up.
That did the trick, it went to CWM and installing CM was business as usual from that point.

Is vol-up a Sony thing or are lots/all non-Nexus devices like this? (I had assumed it was just how DooMLoRD's recovery worked, which is why I didn't even think to try the volup thing again to get to recovery)

I'm not sure :p I usually just use the "reboot to recovery" option in the power menu, so I can't actually remember how I accessed it on my Note and Desire HD... :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's CM11 for the GPe version at least.
    Congrats, and welcome! You can root it by following these steps (jump down to "rooting GPe"). I'll be honest and tell you that i'm actually not that sure about the first question. I want to say "go nuts" with the AOSP ROMs (do not flash Sony ROMs), but i'm not 100% sure. I'm around 95% sure.

I think i'll summon @hamdogg @blueether @ChillyChan and @jackie099 and see what these guys say.

Newsteam assembllllleeeeeeeee !! !!

Anchorman-assemble.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

I'm not 100%... but I think that a GPe will be fine to flash a Sony ROM... however I think that once you do you are stuck?!!?
    Or perhaps that was because at the time there were no GPe ROM's available...

The steps to root the GPe are different. The kernel isn't the same as the Sony kernel, so to root will require a different method.
    I've not investigated this so can't help.