Quadrant score 2234 with rooted stock FW I9000ZSJF7 [EDITED 10AUG 1714HKT new tool]

Search This thread

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
I'd be happy to try it out. I'm just unsure of the command to create the partition as rfs. mkfs.rfs doesn't work.

RFS is samsung proprietary. There are no tools to make em, so you can't test this.

I've been messing around with /cache .. but no apps seem to use it! ykk, why did you include /cache in yours? Does it help out?

nalinbhatt

Jul 27, 2010
How can I get this working ?
70424500.jpg

Thanks for all the hardwork.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I know im probably going to get flammed for this but here goes..
Has anyone looked at how the iphone manages its data partitions and which file formats it uses. I understand the structure of the OS's are very different but being that it too uses a large amount of built-in storage it seems to me that it is worth looking into...
As i said im probably very wrong for even assuming this can help, but its just an idea...

I'm not going to flame you for offering a suggestion.

The iPhone uses two partitions, one for the system and one for the user. The system partition on my iPhone4 is 1gb, the rest of the internal memory goes for the mobile user partition and has everything else (media, user apps from the market, camera roll, etc).

Lack of space isn't the cause of lag on our SGS phones, it's lack of throughput on i/o that hurts us. It really looks like RFS is the culprit here for some reason. Modeling our partition scheme after the iPhone's won't change that. What we need to do is get Samsung to switch to YAFFS2 which is what HTC is using on the N1 and other phones.

Mount command on the iPhone shows the filesystem iOS uses as Apple HFS if you're interested. I find that interesting, since HFS is pretty old. (EDIT- seems my MacBook Pro displays HFS only on the mount command, so they're using the same on the iPhone.) They use HFS+ on Macs now, and I beleive if you had an iPod on a Windows machine it had to be formatted in FAT/FAT32. At any rate, since they're not using a filesystem designed for nand flash memory, they've either modified it to deal with wear-leveling, or more likely they've decided that wear on the nand isn't an issue. I suspect the latter since nand should last several years and they're only warranting the phone for 2 or 3 years max. This is something those of us concerned about the wear leveling issue we imagined this particular fix might cause should keep in mind before being too upset.

Anyways, the 2gb ROM space on the SGS is very generous as far as Android phones go, and the HFS filesystem is Apple proprietary, so we can't use it. YAFFS2 is the answer as far as I'm concerned. We're not going find the ultimate lag solution by kanging off the iPhone I fear, but it was a good idea to at least look at what Apple does. ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App (and then edited on a real machine because it's just too hard to type anything lengthy on a phone!)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts