Good Car Charger?

Search This thread

trparky

Jun 11, 2011
Does anyone know of a good car charger? You know, the kind that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket.

I had one at one time but it died after only a week of usage.

trparky

Jun 11, 2011
Thanks! :D

At only $8, that's a steal of a deal! Just bought it with free two-day shipping.

Hindle1225

Jun 18, 2010
Does anyone know of a good car charger? You know, the kind that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket.

I had one at one time but it died after only a week of usage.

In my opinion... I have wasted alot of $ on trying to get away cheap on a car charger. By far the best one is the official verizon one. It charges to 100% from 0 in less than 2hrs and charges while I am navigating, wifi tethering and using bt at the same time. Well worth the extra cash.

Tweakstock v1.4, XDA Premium

ddh819

Sep 7, 2009
I got this one and it works fine with a spare microusb cable. Best part is that I can now have two phones charging at once.
I got a similar one, but it has one port meant for an ipad/tablet, which outputs 2A - that is helpful for when I am running car navigation and wifi hotspot at the same time. I also had to get a charging-only usb cable because regular cables would trigger usb storage mode on the phone.

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I got a similar one, but it has one port meant for an ipad/tablet, which outputs 2A - that is helpful for when I am running car navigation and wifi hotspot at the same time. I also had to get a charging-only usb cable because regular cables would trigger usb storage mode on the phone.

To bad the Charge won't draw more than ~0.8A... Also, it is the charger causing the phone to go to mass storage mode, not the cable. A microUSB cable is a microUSB cable, and if the cable says "charging only" they have the data pins shorted out (I believe that's what is done) and it really isn't fixing the root cause of the issue.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
To bad the Charge won't draw more than ~0.8A... Also, it is the charger causing the phone to go to mass storage mode, not the cable. A microUSB cable is a microUSB cable, and if the cable says "charging only" they have the data pins shorted out (I believe that's what is done) and it really isn't fixing the root cause of the issue.

Did you ever try fastcharger script? It suppose to speed up your phone charger using USB.

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
:eek: nowai! That's the same car charger I use!

Only thing about it is, its a little short, so it may not fit perfectly in every car's cigarette lighter port. Won't work in my dad's car. :/

It is short, but works perfectly in my car. I don't even have to take it out to close my cigarette lighter, so it just stays there :)

Did you ever try fastcharger script? It suppose to speed up your phone charger using USB.

The only way you could speed up charging would be to modify it via the kernel, or try to force load a module that does the same thing. Odds are the fastcharger script just gets the system to recognize USB charging as a wall charger. Either way, I wouldn't recommend using anything that says it'll make your phone charge faster unless there was SIGNIFICANT data to support the claim as well as evidence that it doesn't harm the hardware.

kvswim

Mar 25, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
Charging the battery too fast is very dangerous too. I tried "supercharging" one of my batteries and it almost caught fire.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

jampongwak

Jun 8, 2012
, I wouldn't recommend using anything that says it'll make your phone charge faster unless there was SIGNIFICANT data to support the claim as well as evidence that it doesn't harm the hardware.

lukegman

Mar 5, 2011
I tried a 2.0 amp USB car charger and the factory cable.. .my battery got really hot and didn't charge at all.. .not sure why but the 1.0 amp charger seems to work the best...I have seen a 5.0amp at Walmart in the car department.. .but I don't feel like experimenting with that

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

RDI

Mar 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
www.RDI.us
Samsung smartphones and Tablets charge in std mode (Charging USB) unless the two data wires are "shorted". (I have seen it done directly in a high speed charge only cable or in the Samsung chargers. Some say they use a resistor.) When the data pins are "shorted", Samsung switches to high speed charging. (Charging AC). I have been harassing a factory overseas for a dual car charger (2100mA) with one std. Port (iPad) and one Samsung port. It should be available soon.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate running ICS 4.0.4 AoCP CP v2.1 w/KG3 Modem

Velocifero

Oct 17, 2012
DC area
In my opinion... I have wasted alot of $ on trying to get away cheap on a car charger. By far the best one is the official verizon one. It charges to 100% from 0 in less than 2hrs and charges while I am navigating, wifi tethering and using bt at the same time. Well worth the extra cash.

Tweakstock v1.4, XDA Premium

I haven't tried another car charger personally, but can vouch for the Verizon one. Always works for me and I just leave it plugged in the lighter outlet in my center console so whenever I need it, it's easy and quick to plug in the phone. Also has the scrunchy style cord to keep things neat. But at the same time, it makes it more difficult to use the phone while it's plugged in as it keeps wanting to pull back lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got this one and it works fine with a spare microusb cable. Best part is that I can now have two phones charging at once.