Chromcast DNS

Search This thread

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011
Hi. I've read around the web that Chromecast uses it's own DNS regardless of what's on the router.
I can't figure out how to block that.
I have a Vodafone Huawei HG658c
I have the passwords for the Admin settings, and can access static route and all that, but no matter what guides I read I can't figure it out.
I'm also using Unblock-us. I have it working on everything but chromecast.
I'd even go as far as letting a trusted member teamview in to get this working. Or I can provide any screenshots of my router page needed.

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011

Attachments

• 1stat.PNG
    1stat.PNG
    46.8 KB · Views: 549

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Ok, you should be able to create static routes to disable Google DNS.

Check your router's home page to see what your LAN address range is. (for example something like 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255, with a mask of 255.255.255.0 would be typical, but yours might be different) You need to pick an address in this range that doesn't exist, e.g., something like 192.168.1.99)

Then enter a static route with:

Destination network address: 8.8.8.0
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.99 (or whatever non-existent LAN address you picked above)

Probably ok to leave on Interface as Auto, or pick LAN or LAN+wireless if you have to choose.

And repeat for 8.8.4.0.

This only blocks Google DNS. Then you still have to insert your unblock-us DNS addresses in the router's DNS fields.

Last edited:
Reactions: irish-sid

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011

Check your router's home page to see what your LAN address range is. (for example something like 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255, with a mask of 255.255.255.0 would be typical, but yours might be different) You need to pick an address in this range that doesn't exist, e.g., something like 192.168.1.99)

Probably ok to leave on Interface as Auto, or pick LAN or LAN+wireless if you have to choose.

And repeat for 8.8.4.0.

This only blocks Google DNS. Then you still have to insert your unblock-us DNS addresses in the router's DNS fields.

Ah, so it's an unused address I have to put? I'll give this a go and let you know. Thanks a LOT!!!!!

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011
Doesn't seemed to have worked. I even tried the other Google dns's too (see pic)

Nothing is on .123 so I put the address as that.
Chromecast is static on .125
I have the unblockus dns address in correctly as all other devices work.
I've rebooted everything too to make sure.
Starts playing fine on laptop or phone, but when casted it comes up with "We're having trouble playing this title........"

Attachments

• dun.png
    dun.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 311

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
There's an easy way to tell if it's working. Just ping the Google DNS addresses from your computer, and you should get the response "Destination unreachable" (open a cmd window and type "ping 8.8.8.8").

When you say "Chromecast is static on .125", I'm not sure what you mean. You can't assign the Chromecast a static IP address, and if you could this wouldn't work because it has to fetch your DNS addresses using DHCP.

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011
There's an easy way to tell if it's working. Just ping the Google DNS addresses from your computer, and you should get the response "Destination unreachable" (open a cmd window and type "ping 8.8.8.8").

When you say "Chromecast is static on .125", I'm not sure what you mean. You can't assign the Chromecast a static IP address, and if you could this wouldn't work because it has to fetch your DNS addresses using DHCP.

I am actually getting a ping back (see pic)
What I meant was I reserved the ip address 192.168.1.125 for the chromecast

Attachments

• ping.PNG
    ping.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 204

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011

In the drop down box I found the LAN option, works perfectly now. Thanks so much for your help. Genuinely appreciate it! :laugh:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
I guess the default "Auto" static route selection on your router isn't smart enough to recognize a LAN address, but as long as it's working now, you should be all set.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Post your static routes page.

And repeat for 8.8.4.0.

I guess the default "Auto" static route selection on your router isn't smart enough to recognize a LAN address, but as long as it's working now, you should be all set.