Beginners how to update...

Search This thread

dougstoner

Apr 22, 2008
Atlanta
Okay, I've been doing a ton of reading, and finally after having issues updating from Open Touch 3.0 to 4.0, I decided to Hard Spl. Everything worked fine, and is running great, but I thought I'd post some things that might help out some noobs (like me) when they decide to mod their phones.

First off, there are two methods to flashing to new roms.
USPL and Hard SPL

Basically your phone has software to keep from being overwritten. In order to flash, you need to bypass this.
USPL, is a software that will temporarily disable this allowing you to flash then. This is the safest way to flash to different roms. Some roms require a hard spl, so it depends on what you are flashing to. Here is a link that has the USPL link to download and how to use it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=377939r

Now, if you want to Hard SPL, you need to know this can brick your phone if not done properly. First, hard spl permanently writes over your phone basically unlocking it. This can be reversed, but there are other threads describing how to do that. You need to make sure your ipl is 4 or higher. If it isn't, you will brick your phone. Check this my holding the camera button down, and press the soft reset button (use the stylus and push it in the small hole on the left side of the phone.) Make sure you hold the camera button down until you get the 3 gradient colored screen. (I think it's red, blue and green). The top will say your ipl number.

First, download this file
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ot8zsn
It will contain 3 files you need to install first in a certain order. Unzip this to your desktop. It will make a folder called hardspl 6.

You need to make sure your phone has an option selected. Go to start\system\usb to pc. Check the box for advanced networking
Next, you want to put your phone in flight mode.

First install canonyang.cab.
(Install by copying that file to your pda through activesync and then just use file explorer to find the file on your pda and double tap that file).
Next install aserpolicy.cab
Finally install disablesecurity.cab.
Then do a soft reset (press the small hole with your stylus on the left side of your phone).
Now, go to the hardspl6 folder on your desktop, and run the romupdateutility.exe file.

It will walk you through the install. At one point, your screen will go white. Leave your phone alone until it reboots itself. Viola! You are hard spliced. Now, you can load whatever rom you wish to.

Hope this helps somebody out there...I was extremely confused at first.

Last edited:

itslinx

Mar 15, 2008
Providence, RI
Seems easy enough. I had a Wing, but returned it after I was told I wasn't getting it for the price I was told. There's a big difference in paying $150 for a Wing with a promotional code and paying over $350 or whatever it is. But now I got another one finally and I love it. I've wanted to make it look better since I had the first one, but I always thought it was risky. I didn't wanna risk messing up my phone. Plus I don't know much about it anyway and I never wanted to really bother people and ask. Not that i'm an idiot and I can't understand tutorials others have posted or anything. It's just that the phone is completely new to me and even some words i'm not familiar with. For example, what brick means.. hard spl.. etc. I still do wanna get my wing looking nice though. I definitely wanna get a black/grey theme going. :cool:

fzzyrn

Aug 19, 2007
Houston
Bravo!
We commend you for creating this, as it SHOULD decreade the number of noob questions we get.

This should be stickied

itslinx

Mar 15, 2008
Providence, RI
I have a general idea of what I want my today screen to look like. These 2 today screens look great and I wouldn't mind having those for mine.

display_2.jpg

ayerthonob7.png

Niwla

Feb 8, 2008
Groningen
www.niwla.nl
Thanx for the info! Your tutorial is a great help to me! :D

Now, go to the hardspl6 folder on your desktop, and run the romupdateutility.exe file.

It will walk you through the install.

Perhaps you can tell me what the romupdateutility.exe does ? Do you point this util to the rom you want to install ? And the util takes care of the installation of that rom ? :rolleyes:

And perhaps you can tell me how to get back to the origional htc-rom ?;)

dougstoner

Apr 22, 2008
Atlanta
Bravo!
We commend you for creating this, as it SHOULD decreade the number of noob questions we get.

This should be stickied

Just trying to help out some. I know when I started, I asked a lot of noob questions, but you guys were great in answering every one I had. It's just that a lot of the terminology can be confusing.

dougstoner

Apr 22, 2008
Atlanta
For example, what brick means.. hard spl.. etc. I still do wanna get my wing looking nice though. I definitely wanna get a black/grey theme going. :cool:

Brick means to make your device useless. It's basically where you try to turn your phone on, and nothing happens. (Hence the term brick, because that's all you can use your phone as). This is usually done when you try to hard spl, and it fails. You have to do a lot of reading to make sure you can even hard spl depending on the IPL 4.xxx of your phone. You can find this out by holding the camera button and doing a soft reset (using the stylus and pushing the small hole on the left of the phone) Hold the camera button down till the phone come up in the 3 gradient colors blue, red, and green I think. It will say at the top what IPL number you have. If it's below 4, you can't hard spl or you will brick your phone. Hard spl is basically unlocking your phone so you can install any rom you wish to flash to. It overwrites the software that protects your phone from being written over. That is the dangerous part though. You can use the uspl method, which basically temporarily overwrites your phone, but most roms require the hard spl method. I got some weird errors using the uspl method though.

dougstoner

Apr 22, 2008
Atlanta
Thanx for the info! Your tutorial is a great help to me! :D

Perhaps you can tell me what the romupdateutility.exe does ? Do you point this util to the rom you want to install ? And the util takes care of the installation of that rom ? :rolleyes:

And perhaps you can tell me how to get back to the origional htc-rom ?;)

The rom update utility (not trying to sound sarcastic) updates your rom. The rom, (basically the operating system you are trying to flash to). You have to place the .nbh file (the operating file you download) in the ruu folder and it knows you want to update to that rom. It will tell you what rom you have in that folder when you are flashing though so you know you have the correct rom in it.

angest90

Sep 13, 2008
freeze alot

afta i did this my fone alot now i have to restart it all the time but i give it 5 minz and it does it again hav e any ideas why?
any programs i can get to stop it from duin that

ilikepu

Feb 12, 2008
hollywood Fl.
the quick answer is a brick the long answer is that u will need to through a long vigourous process of debugging and replacing to get it to work lol