[HOW-TO] Downgrade from JB to ICS with locked bootloader

Search This thread

dteg

Nov 24, 2012
FL
bump.

is there anyway to downgrade from 4.2.1 to ICS say version 10.4.4.23
i want to downgrade back to 4.1.1 not necessarily all the way back to 4.0.3.

edit: i downloaded the .30 SKU (it's correct) and tried the downgrade following the steps in the first post. i still get the android on its back....

Last edited:

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
bump.

is there anyway to downgrade from 4.2.1 to ICS say version 10.4.4.23
i want to downgrade back to 4.1.1 not necessarily all the way back to 4.0.3.

edit: i downloaded the .30 SKU (it's correct) and tried the downgrade following the steps in the first post. i still get the android on its back....

Did you read the whole thread? And follow the links provided by others?
Like formatting you microSD correctly or doing a clean install?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2220442&page=2

dteg

Nov 24, 2012
FL
Did you read the whole thread? And follow the links provided by others?
Like formatting you microSD correctly or doing a clean install?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2220442&page=2

actually i did read through the entire thread as well as many others. i have made sure that the microSD is in fact FAT32. i've also tried 2 seperate cards and 2 different versions, both the .30 version and a 4.1.1 version. i'll try it after doing a clean install right now.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

just did a full wipe and then tried the 10.4.4.23 file and the the .30 firmware file, neither one worked. starts off with the android processing then android flat on its back with the red triangle.

Last edited:

dteg

Nov 24, 2012
FL
got it working :victory: was honestly the most ridiculous reason it wasn't working, actually tremendously dumb on my part:silly:.
i had the correct files (md5 confirmed)
microSD formatted into FAT32 and files stored on the root.

the reason it wouldn't work was because i used an SD adapter in the keyboard instead of placing it directly into the tablet. i'm used to keeping the keyboard attached and everything in a case, so the keyboard was much more convenient; never thought that it would completely stop the update from working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.
    I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
    WARNING: This will wipe your data
    WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
    1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
    2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
    3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
    5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
    6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
    I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.
    Hi.
    I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
    WARNING: This will wipe your data
    WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
    1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
    2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
    3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
    5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
    6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
    I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.

Thanks, I might just try this.. the DPI really bugs me on JB!
    Thanks for you guide, I am waiting for my TF700T, but read a lot about rooting process without unlocking bootloader, so please tell me:
    What about root after your guide ?? Just use rooting instruction from here and use OTA rootKeeper and should work ??

Regards
    Doncieslacco

JB cannot currently be rooted, so you'll need to root 9.4.5.30 first, then use OTA rootkeeper to make a backup of root and enable OTA survival (I also enabled OTA survival in superuser), then apply the JB update, and finally use OTA rootkeeper to restore root.

Also, I would highly advise not installing any apps on it in ICS, b/c a lot of people are experiencing idiosyncrasies in JB that are fixed if you perform a factory reset - since your tablet will be brand new, a factory reset will be a lot less painful with no apps installed.

If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk
    If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

However that requires unlocking first,voiding your warranty.
    The file you get from Asus is a .zip file. Inside it is another .zip file. Unzip ONE TIME and rename the .zip file while it is on your PC. Then copy it to the sdcard. I used a sdcard reader connected to my PC to copy the file then popped it in the tablet.

when I tried to do it all on the tablet I got the same results. (it no workie)