PLEASE MAKE STICKY - Rogers GT-P7500R is NOT an actual 4G device!!!

Search This thread

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hi All,

For ALL my Canadian brethren here in the wonderful world of Galaxy Tab goodness, I wish to advise you (some of you may already know) that we are essentially being LIED to by Rogers (and other Canadian carriers) and our devices are NOT true 4G (LTE) devices but are really GLORIFIED 3G/3.5G units.

See the attached pics and you will see that my box for my tab CLEARLY states that it is a 4G Tablet but again I repeat... IT IS NOT!!!

I don't believe that we here in Canada actually have a true 4G / LTE provider and as such Rogers, Bell and Telus have been marketing 3.5G HSPA+ (21+Mbps) Devices as 4G which is unfortunately just NOT true considering that REAL 4g / LTE devices are capable of upwards of 75+ Mbps.

I write this as I wish to help ensure that people who are trying to ROOT and flash new ROMS are NOT using the wrong files and thus BRICKING there new toys!!!

Please ensure that you follow the steps / guides for the 3G units when ROOTING, FLASHING, etc and you will be fine (as long as you read the instructions and know what you are doing).

Please MOD... Make this STICKY!!!

Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_20120225_211049.jpg
    IMG_20120225_211049.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 441

djdanska

Nov 2, 2006
Chicagoland
Hi All,

For ALL my Canadian brethren here in the wonderful world of Galaxy Tab goodness, I wish to advise you (some of you may already know) that we are essentially being LIED to by Rogers (and other Canadian carriers) and our devices are NOT true 4G (LTE) devices but are really GLORIFIED 3G/3.5G units.

See the attached pics and you will see that my box for my tab CLEARLY states that it is a 4G Tablet but again I repeat... IT IS NOT!!!

I don't believe that we here in Canada actually have a true 4G / LTE provider and as such Rogers, Bell and Telus have been marketing 3.5G HSPA+ (21+Mbps) Devices as 4G which is unfortunately just NOT true considering that REAL 4g / LTE devices are capable of upwards of 75+ Mbps.

I write this as I wish to help ensure that people who are trying to ROOT and flash new ROMS are NOT using the wrong files and thus BRICKING there new toys!!!

Please ensure that you follow the steps / guides for the 3G units when ROOTING, FLASHING, etc and you will be fine (as long as you read the instructions and know what you are doing).

Thanks...
Nothing new. The t-mobile usa tab 10.1 is advertised as 4g and is HSPA+ 42Mb. 7500 roms still work with it. (Im using it now. Only difference between tmobile stock rom and others is tmo shows 4g while others shows H)

kaiser_tytnii

Nov 15, 2007
Toronto
Yup... Rogers stock ROM also showed as 4G but I have since flashed to AOKP and it now shows as H as well...

Rogers has never ONLY called LTE as "4G", "4G" under the "older" definition as HSPA+, while LTE was called "beyond 4G". So there was no lie.

btw, if you are on "LTE", it would show "LTE" at the status bar. (as shown in Galaxy S 2 LTE, Galaxy Note LTE, and HTC Jetstream LTE). None of Rogers LTE devices were given naming convention with "4G" but "LTE"

Hi All,

Thanks...

According to International Telecommunication Union, HSPA+ is classified as 4G.

http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2010/48.aspx

Last edited:

gdmuscle

Nov 2, 2010
Hi there, not sure why you think the Galaxy Tab is not 4G. Mine states 4G when it's connected to the 4G network and I'm in Windsor where 4G has just been introduced and hopefully LTE, since my SGS II is LTE. Trust me I know how slow 3G is compared to 4G and this device is 4G. Maybe someone should do a speed test to show that it is in fact 4G or H+.

brobits

Jan 8, 2011
FL
the galaxy tab doesn't have an LTE chip inside (unless you have a Verizon version). you're probably experiencing HSPA+, gdmuscle.

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hi there, not sure why you think the Galaxy Tab is not 4G. Mine states 4G when it's connected to the 4G network and I'm in Windsor where 4G has just been introduced and hopefully LTE, since my SGS II is LTE. Trust me I know how slow 3G is compared to 4G and this device is 4G. Maybe someone should do a speed test to show that it is in fact 4G or H+.

If you read my OP you will understand why I wrote it. TRUE 4G as I understand it is based on LTE however I do also know that here in Canada HSPA+ IS considered 4g as well which is weird and confusing.

Also... If you noticed in my OP you will see that I wanted to warn users about ROOTING and Flashing ROMS, etc as on the Rogers version of the GTAB we MUST use the 3G ROOT method and flash ROMS for the 3G version of the Tablet and NOT the 4G/LTE ROMS, etc or we will brick our devices.

The only 4G/LTE TAB on the market is the Verizon version. Our boxes, etc state 4G so I can see (and have seen some here) people getting confused and try to ROOT with the wrong method and flash the wrong ROMS.

I just want to make it clear and easy for people which is why I posted this thread.

djdanska

Nov 2, 2006
Chicagoland
If you read my OP you will understand why I wrote it. TRUE 4G as I understand it is based on LTE however I do also know that here in Canada HSPA+ IS considered 4g as well which is weird and confusing.
Correction: The Current LTE being used was NOT considered 4g until they allowed HSPA+ and this current version of LTE to be considered 4g. Until then, LTE Advanced was the ONLY true 4g, which is not in deployed yet from what i understand.

So, based on the original rules, NOBODY ANYWHERE has a 4g tab 10.1. lmao!

Last edited:

slack04

May 4, 2010
Correction: The Current LTE being used was NOT considered 4g until they allowed HSPA+ and this current version of LTE to be considered 4g. Until then, LTE Advanced was the ONLY true 4g, which is not in deployed yet from what i understand.

So, based on the original rules, NOBODY ANYWHERE has a 4g tab 10.1. lmao!

There is no commercial "4g" networks anywhere; the wireless companies realized--or rather the marketers realized--you can't sell many devices branded "3.5g". Once one company started calling it 4g, all the others had to follow suit. Even LTE networks are actually 3g (or "3.5g"). Until they can get 1gbps stationary (or 100mbps non-stationary), none of them will actually be 4g; but I guarantee the marketers don't care about that... I'm guessing the tech will actually be "3g" for what the marketers will call "5g"... No big deal, it's just a name anyways. Also, if you think this is the most dishonest thing the marketers are pushing on you, well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

So the sky isn't falling; you might want to take the stuff in capital letters out of the thread title...

Last edited:

gsmkiller

Aug 27, 2003
pakistan
jus rooted a p7500r thinking it was 4g with the rooting process of a 4g .now its looping.shuld i flash it with the p7500r 3g files as u say in ur post

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Thanks...