[How-To][tutorial] Bootloader Unlock, Custom Recovery Razr M

Search This thread

willdo7474

Dec 8, 2008
I've tried both methods cwm and twrp it says writing recovery, okay, and finished but when i try to go into recovery I just get the Green robot
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks
:confused:

After you flash your recovery boot directly into fastboot(pwr&vol+&vol- all at the same time) then choose recovery. This is what I had to do in order to get CWM to work. If I let it reboot normally and then tried booting into recovery I would get the "Green robot" too.

slogar25

May 19, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Once you can get into cwm, when you select reboot now there will be a screen asking you if you want to disable flash or something or another. You want to click yes. This prevent the ROM from flashing stock recovery back onto the phone at boot(if you are booting into stock ROM). Hope this helps anyone here

Sent from my XT907 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

ifrankie10

May 1, 2012
if i crack my screen and i send it to motorola will they refuse to fix it because i unlocked my bootloader.

Sent from my Xoom using xda app-developers app

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
if i crack my screen and i send it to motorola will they refuse to fix it because i unlocked my bootloader.

Its a possibility. There's a greater chance that they will accept your warranty if you RSD back to stock before sending it in.

Sent from my XT907 using xda premium

steve2711

Feb 2, 2010
Vero Beach Fl.
flashing CWM or TWRP

After you flash your recovery boot directly into fastboot(pwr&vol+&vol- all at the same time) then choose recovery. This is what I had to do in order to get CWM to work. If I let it reboot normally and then tried booting into recovery I would get the "Green robot" too.

I'm having a problem with the initial flashing of these recoveries. I have downloaded CWM img and can open the Command Window, but so far, just putting in the program name and hitting enter is not recognized by windows-to flash CWM. I'm sure the answer is in front of me, but I can't see it. I am running Safesstrap. Thanks

willdo7474

Dec 8, 2008
Make sure you unzip the cwm.IMG file into the same folder as the unlock file. You also have to type: fastboot flash recovery then the filename

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

jphillips.hd88

Jul 10, 2011
Thanks for the write up! Can't wait to see what kind of radio edits can be made for the 4g radio. in weak 4g areas, my wife's M is stuck on 3g whereas my HD has 4g consistently.

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
I've tried both methods cwm and twrp it says writing recovery, okay, and finished but when i try to go into recovery I just get the Green robot
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks
:confused:

re-flash the recovery then unplug the usb cable before you shut it down then hold vol up and power and it should boot into the recovery u flashed

Reactions: bwat1009

antp121

Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey

YOUR WARRENTY IS VOID. you take the responsiblity for your own actions. MAYBE one day there will be a way to relock or maybe spoof your device into displaying info from a locked version but, they will NOT fix your phone if you do this.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

heres a video i did for my friend shane (DroidModderX) about unlocking this. go show him some love and tell me how much i suck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qocbme-rjJg&feature=youtu.be

andrewfblack

Feb 12, 2013
Incase anyone is wondering you can flash the Cyanogenmod Beta in Android Development Forum just find after you flash cwm. I love having Cyanogenmod without having to worry about the limits I had using Safestrap

CaptainElwood

Jan 6, 2012
Incase anyone is wondering you can flash the Cyanogenmod Beta in Android Development Forum just find after you flash cwm. I love having Cyanogenmod without having to worry about the limits I had using Safestrap

Where did you get the cm10 rom from? the files that are linked are missing for me? also when you flashed cm10 did you mount only /system?

The only cm10 file on goo.im I can find from Hashcode on 11/14/2012, the version in the link is from 12/7, is that still available?

Last edited:

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
Where did you get the cm10 rom from? the files that are linked are missing for me? also when you flashed cm10 did you mount only /system?

The only cm10 file on goo.im I can find from Hashcode on 11/14/2012, the version in the link is from 12/7, is that still available?

I can re-upload 12-05 to somewhere else, but Hashcode probably took down those files for a greater reason.

Sent from my XT907 using xda premium

slogar25

May 19, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
If you can find 12/07 it would be better. And I think hash tweeted yesterday that all builds for qcom going forward will be for unlocked devices only. So may be the reason all links are down.

UN5EEN

Aug 25, 2010
Sony Xperia 5 II
dammit! nothing is working for me. cm doesnt have working wifi and eclipse wont even boot lol

WiFi on CM10 has always been finniky for me. As of lately the only way I can get WiFi to connect without eating my battery life is by turning WiFi off, rebooting, turning WiFi on, let it connect, then turn WiFi off then back on. If I don't do this each time I reboot my phone my phone usually drops below 50% within a couple hours.

Droid RAZR M cruisin on 4.1.2 based CM10

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So if anybody's been reading the news, you may know that the bootloader for the Razr M has finally been unlocked!

So here's a how-to on unlocking and flashing a custom recovery.
    A couple notes:
    This essentially makes the phone behave like an unlocked dev edition. You can flash any firmware, recovery, etc that you want. Be careful, don't flash stuff for other devices, etc etc...
    FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS...
    Future OTAs may (will) disable this exploit. Do it while it can be done! Also, beware OTAs! They could disable this, or do bad things... Don't update unless you know it won't disable the bootloader exploit

You need to be rooted, have the motorola drivers installed (link here - sorry, it's device manager, but they do have all the drivers in a nice package...)

First, root if you haven't already...

Next, download Motopocalypse.zip by Dan Rosenberg from here: http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2013/04/08/motorola-bootloader-unlocking/
    extract the zip and run
    Run through the entire process, until it tells you you have a bootloader unlock.
    Make sure that AP Fastboot indicates "Unlocked, status code 3"
    Also, when you reboot, you will get a warning screen about an unlocked bootloader.

Next, choose your recovery. There are 2 options, TWRP (Touch Win Recovery Project) and CWM (ClockworkMod)
    either works, and each has benefits and downsides, choose whichever one you want.

Follow the instructions for your flavor of recovery:
    CWM:
    Download the .img file here: http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/scorpion_mini/cwm-recovery--scorpion_mini.img
    Move it to the same place you extracted the .zip above.
    Open a command prompt/terminal/command interpreter at that location (Windows short-cut: shift-right click, command window here)
    type the following (filename is the name of the file you downloaded, probably "cwm-recovery--scorpion_mini.img" unless you renamed it): fastboot flash recovery filename
    and press Enter. Let it flash, then reboot.
    The first time you use CWM, it will ask you if you want to disable something that would cause CWM to stop working. You do want to, so say "yes". Othewise, you'll have to reflash CWM every time you want to use it

TWRP:
    Download the .img file here: http://d-h.st/QGe
    Move it to the same place you extracted the .zip above.
    Open a command prompt/terminal/command interpreter at that location (Windows short-cut: shift-right click, command window here)
    type the following (filename is the name of the file you downloaded, probably "twrp2.4-recovery-scorpion_mini.img" unless you renamed it):
    fastboot flash recovery filename
    and press Enter. Let it flash, then reboot.
    Now, you need to disable the automatic re-flashing of stock recovery.
    Reboot directly into recovery, and allow TWRP to disable the re-flashing.

Now, you have TWRP running on your Razr M

Please consider donating to Dan Rosenberg here for all the work he's done for our phones!
    Congrats! You now have a custom recovery on your Razr M
    Reboot into recovery, and you're done!

----IMPORTANT NOTE:----
    IF you are on the latest OTA and have NOT unlocked, it is impossible at this time to unlock. It may be possible in the future if someone finds another exploit, but not likely. Basically, if you updated without researching (that's why you shouldn't do that) or got a new one after the OTA, you're SOL for right npw
    ^^^Well, people need to learn how to read and search. Many people are getting tired of repeating the same thing, over and over.

could not agree more, if anything it wouldnt clog up the forums with redundant questions that end up making the proper information even more bogged down and harder to access. It also spreads information that is not correct sometimes, which is a major issue, Hopping in a thread and just thinking its your personal Q and A is moronically wrong , compared to looking at page 1 and the date of those posts, applying basic reading skills and deductive reasoning to possibly solving ones issue. You're going to have to learn for yourself anyways , so why not start asap. My non elitist two cents.
    curious is anyone working on a way around the new boot patch? if so could somone lmk i would like to help with the project p.m me if so, would like to make this happen already. if not ill start from scratch. ty for yalls time

IIRC, the guys behind Hydrogen Root were working on an bootloader exploit. A few devices became bricked and the project was abandoned.

Sent from my XT1031
    So by unlocking my bootloader it will make it so that I can flash CM10 in the stock ROM slot whereas before unlocking my bootloader TWRP would be unable to have permitted that?

Droid RAZR M cruisin on 4.1.2 based CM10

Not exactly. Before, we couldn't even flash TWRP, and everything required the stock kernel. Safestrap was an awesome use of an extremely hacky way of running a custom ROM.

Now, we don't have any ROM slots at all... You just flash /system. So no ROM slots required...

(Disclaimer: this is not meant to discount in any way safestrap or the work hash has done... We just have a better method now)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk HD
    Once you can get into cwm, when you select reboot now there will be a screen asking you if you want to disable flash or something or another. You want to click yes. This prevent the ROM from flashing stock recovery back onto the phone at boot(if you are booting into stock ROM). Hope this helps anyone here