[how-to] remap genius key

Search This thread

rbgmode

Apr 6, 2009
getting issues

I am either getting the directory is empty, I am not able to do the command in production builds, or the permission denied. Is there a update.zip that could do this? :p

Edit: .zip UPDATE WORKS!
Okay so guys I was able to just dump the modified latte-keymap-v2.kl into the SlideMeRoot2.zip from Eugene373

basically pull the file(should be able to even if on read only system error I was getting)
adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/latte-keymap-v2.kl
then open SlideMeRoot2.zip (I used winrar) then placed moded kl file in /system/usr/keylayout/
then saved it (selected best compression left all the rest default.
Then flashed via clockwork recovery. Voila got SlideMeRoot2.zip and with the ENDCALL mod.

If you want I can upload the modified zip to just update with the change to ENDCALL
(I am not sure if by me posting it Eugene373 might take it the wrong way if so I will remove it.)
Every dev is worthy of their hard labor and I don't want to get credit for this. All I did was change 1 simple file I am not a dev. Im a n00b.

EASY WAY: Just download and flash this:

edit : Link on my site for the new SlideMeRoot2.zip with the latte-keymap-v2.kl set 187 to ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED

Last edited:

btate0121

Jul 25, 2006
Sorry guys.. maybe I'm just slow. But I'm getting permission denied on the push back. using notepad++. I confirmed the root by installing wifi tether.. got super user access and i'm running fine and now i'm in clockwork and cant figure out for the life of my why i can't get this thing to load... i am mounted as well. when I go into the clockwork partition menu the first 4 options are "unmount" bla bla bla.... so it looks like clockwork already had them mounted. I've unmounted, remounted and all over again 5 or six times... nothing..

any advice?

eugene373

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2009
eb-productions.proboards.com
Sorry guys.. maybe I'm just slow. But I'm getting permission denied on the push back. using notepad++. I confirmed the root by installing wifi tether.. got super user access and i'm running fine and now i'm in clockwork and cant figure out for the life of my why i can't get this thing to load... i am mounted as well. when I go into the clockwork partition menu the first 4 options are "unmount" bla bla bla.... so it looks like clockwork already had them mounted. I've unmounted, remounted and all over again 5 or six times... nothing..

any advice?

You need to repair the file in adb once you push the File.

chmod 0755
& if that sitll don't fix it, then you will need to
chown root.root ( File )
then
chmod 0755 ( File )

btate0121

Jul 25, 2006
The problem is the push is unsuccessful. I went to the link in the first post regarding the hero key edit and saw the command "adb remount". This doesn't work for me either. I get "remount failed: operation not permitted". looks like i'm locked out of something

pulling works though... I have the file.. i've edited it.. but I can't push it back.

i've never done the eng rom... could that be the issue?

eugene373

Aug 11, 2009
The problem is the push is unsuccessful. I went to the link in the first post regarding the hero key edit and saw the command "adb remount". This doesn't work for me either. I get "remount failed: operation not permitted". looks like i'm locked out of something

pulling works though... I have the file.. i've edited it.. but I can't push it back.

i've never done the eng rom... could that be the issue?

You need to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery ( Hence Why I highly Recommend Flashing the Eng Build for the Recovery, being it has Test-keys & Dooes not require Factory signed update.zip ) Next, you need to mount the system partition & then Push the Files Over. You can not Push any file to the /system while the Phone is Running,

btate0121

Jul 25, 2006
Thanks! but I AM in clockwork.. looking at the "partions menu" where the first four options are "unmount" various forms of storage. the first of which is system. So it seems to be mounted already. I can pull just fine.. pushing is a problem. Here's a question... once I flash the eng rom.. can i get back to the stock rom at any point? Just in case ya know?

sorry to be giving you such a hard time eugene. I really appreciate your patience. Trying to understand things here.. new to the rooting work as it were but i've hacked a few wimo devices.... totally different.. i know. LOL. bear with me please.

so the eng rom is something i pretty much HAVE to do if I want to customize this thing?

EDIT: Ignore that last question.. read the thread. thanks eugene!

Last edited:

eugene373

Aug 11, 2009
Thanks! but I AM in clockwork.. looking at the "partions menu" where the first four options are "unmount" various forms of storage. the first of which is system. So it seems to be mounted already. I can pull just fine.. pushing is a problem. Here's a question... once I flash the eng rom.. can i get back to the stock rom at any point? Just in case ya know?

sorry to be giving you such a hard time eugene. I really appreciate your patience. Trying to understand things here.. new to the rooting work as it were but i've hacked a few wimo devices.... totally different.. i know. LOL. bear with me please.

so the eng rom is something i pretty much HAVE to do if I want to customize this thing?

EDIT: Ignore that last question.. read the thread. thanks eugene!

Yes Sadly :)

turboyo

Jun 23, 2009
Miami
make a nandroid, flash the eng rom. restore your nandroid, and you will still be able to get into recovery by just doing the update.zip and be able to push to the system and rm from the system once mounted

btate0121

Jul 25, 2006
I did the nandroid backup pre-eng rom already.. restoring now to see what it do. Thanks guys!

btate0121

Jul 25, 2006
I may have missed something... update the radio?

secondly... is there a way that once I have the .kl file set the way I want to have is stored on the sd card.. and then be able to copy it to the system from the slide (as opposed to using adb push to upload the file).

poetik517

May 29, 2008
is there a way for the remapping to work as a shortcut for the app QuickDesk? such as short press for QuickDesk and long press for genius?

edit: nevermind. figured out how to use the home button. had it setup wrong.

Last edited:

turboyo

Jun 23, 2009
Miami
I may have missed something... update the radio?

secondly... is there a way that once I have the .kl file set the way I want to have is stored on the sd card.. and then be able to copy it to the system from the slide (as opposed to using adb push to upload the file).

update your radio. flashing eng downgraded your radio even if you did a nandroid.

If there was a console in recovery mode you could cp to system through there but there is no console/terminal. There are apps like root explorer and SUFBS that do let you copy and paste file in a nice UI with folders and such of the system but we currently cant mount the system while booted normal so no you cant do that for now.

mayormullet

May 5, 2009
www.browntracker.net
I've actually been able to do this successfully without going into clockwork recovery- just go into adb shell or terminal/ConnectBot on the phone

$ adb shell
$ su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

pull/edit the latte-keypad-v2.kl file, make sure it's saved as .kl file not .txt, push it back, and reboot. that's it.

rbgmode

Apr 6, 2009
rbgmode

why not just do it the easy way? read my previous post in this thread one page back

falken98

Jun 11, 2010
I've actually been able to do this successfully without going into clockwork recovery- just go into adb shell or terminal/ConnectBot on the phone

$ adb shell
$ su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

pull/edit the latte-keypad-v2.kl file, make sure it's saved as .kl file not .txt, push it back, and reboot. that's it.

You sure the file actually changed on the android? You shouldn't be able to write to /system not in recovery, even if you do remount it as rw, as the spl security does not allow it.

key map app

You sure the file actually changed on the android? You shouldn't be able to write to /system not in recovery, even if you do remount it as rw, as the spl security does not allow it.

I've been able to 'adb remount' while booted in eugene's FroyoRC1
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=721515

Dunno if others have had this problem... but with FroyoRC1, editing latte-keypad.kl does nothing for me. I needed to edit the qwerty.kl (in same folder) in order to change my 187 to something useful.

On a side note, does anyone know of a 'key test' app that runs once booted? When running the one built into CMR, I can't get any of the alternate key codes! (like 1!2#_3$-...etc.) I'd like to remap some alternate keys so I can add |[]{}<>\