[Q] : some changes failed. need to transfer new rom

Search This thread

kmacho714

Oct 9, 2011
I was trying to install bad seeds sense 6 and sadly did not back up and did not had any old rom as aback up. the rom installed ok but i got this at the end set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed . the phone just keeps rebooting to twrp. i tried to transfer another rom via adb but im not getting my commands right, any other way to add another rom. or way to update my twrp ? please help?

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
I was trying to install bad seeds sense 6 and sadly did not back up and did not had any old rom as aback up. the rom installed ok but i got this at the end set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed . the phone just keeps rebooting to twrp. i tried to transfer another rom via adb but im not getting my commands right, any other way to add another rom. or way to update my twrp ? please help?

Here's what to do (before having to RUU):

1. boot into TWRP;
  2. connect USB cable;
  3. adb shell into the device;
    Code:
    adb shell
  4. see if /sdcard is ok (meaning you didn't mistakenly flash entirely the wrong ROM or something):
    Code:
    ls /sdcard
  5. if the above shows files is a list of tings you recognize (like Downloads, Ringtones, whatever), two things are ok: i) your data area; and ii) your adb is working, then issue these commands (for good measure):
    Code:
    umount /system
    exit
  6. Using TWRP normally (use the touch screen), Wipe the following: system, cache, dalvik-cache, data;
  7. Now, push a ROM file you want, for now I'd suggest one of the Sense 5.5 ROMs -- at least until the Sense 6 ROMs stabilize a bit more and we've had time to settle out all the new idiosynchrasies). Once downloaded, you'll have some zip file, let's call it "myrom.zip" for the purpose of commands (it'll be something different, just use the actual file name instead of myrom.zip below):
    Code:
    adb push myrom.zip /sdcard
  8. Using the TWRP touch interface, just install the rom from /sdcard/myrom.zip

Just fyi -- the Sense 6 Roms have been exhibiting some oddities for folks in recoveries -- the issue actually is not the ROM, rather in the ext4 file system and some file system metadata bugs when dropping so many files in one shot as the ROM installer zips are doing. I've been debugging this in my TWRP builds and will be putting an option in to cover for the problem (it's deep in the android of ext4, believe it or not -- the kernel is detecting a problem and remounting the file systems read-only and that's what makes the install fail).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dafluke24

kmacho714

Oct 9, 2011
twrp sideload

1. boot into TWRP;
  2. connect USB cable;
    Code:
    adb shell
  4. see if /sdcard is ok (meaning you didn't mistakenly flash entirely the wrong ROM or something):
    Code:
    ls /sdcard
  5. if the above shows files is a list of tings you recognize (like Downloads, Ringtones, whatever), two things are ok: i) your data area; and ii) your adb is working, then issue these commands (for good measure):
    Code:
    umount /system
    exit
  6. Using TWRP normally (use the touch screen), Wipe the following: system, cache, dalvik-cache, data;
  7. Now, push a ROM file you want, for now I'd suggest one of the Sense 5.5 ROMs -- at least until the Sense 6 ROMs stabilize a bit more and we've had time to settle out all the new idiosynchrasies). Once downloaded, you'll have some zip file, let's call it "myrom.zip" for the purpose of commands (it'll be something different, just use the actual file name instead of myrom.zip below):
    Code:

Just fyi -- the Sense 6 Roms have been exhibiting some oddities for folks in recoveries -- the issue actually is not the ROM, rather in the ext4 file system and some file system metadata bugs when dropping so many files in one shot as the ROM installer zips are doing. I've been debugging this in my TWRP builds and will be putting an option in to cover for the problem (it's deep in the android of ext4, believe it or not -- the kernel is detecting a problem and remounting the file systems read-only and that's what makes the install fail).

Hope this helps.

sorry but i feel so ignorant. i installed the drivers and have the rom ready, but how to i the phone to adb shell. do i go to mount on twrp or on the advance settings adb sideload? when i put adb shell in the command prompt but it says adb not recognized. i would really appreciate your help if you could help me with more detail if possible.

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
sorry but i feel so ignorant. i installed the drivers and have the rom ready, but how to i the phone to adb shell. do i go to mount on twrp or on the advance settings adb sideload? when i put adb shell in the command prompt but it says adb not recognized. i would really appreciate your help if you could help me with more detail if possible.

Goodness -- I thought you were all setup for adb and understood this stuff.

Here's what you need to do *first*, then follow the instructions above after you get adb working. To "adb shell" in to the phone -- you will boot into TWRP, which starts the adb server on the phone. But you use your computer and a "command terminal" window. We have to have this one way or another, so you have to learn. You will plug in your USB cable to the phone and computer, then the commands will work -- yes, they will work with TWRP.

To setup the adb stuff, learn here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277892 and look for Question 8

kmacho714

Oct 9, 2011
adb

1. boot into TWRP;
  2. connect USB cable;
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    ls /sdcard
    Code:
    umount /system
    exit
    Code:

Hope this helps.

do i need android sdk? and htc sync? i have the drivers i think? on my device managers it doesnt say adb . just device and on the info it says htc device

kmacho714

Oct 9, 2011
thank you

Goodness -- I thought you were all setup for adb and understood this stuff.

Here's what you need to do *first*, then follow the instructions above after you get adb working. To "adb shell" in to the phone -- you will boot into TWRP, which starts the adb server on the phone. But you use your computer and a "command terminal" window. We have to have this one way or another, so you have to learn. You will plug in your USB cable to the phone and computer, then the commands will work -- yes, they will work with TWRP.

To setup the adb stuff, learn here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277892 and look for Question 8

thanks a lot! those commands work ! just needed to install the drivers . thanks! again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. boot into TWRP;
    2. connect USB cable;
      Code:
      adb shell
      Code:
      ls /sdcard
      Code:
      umount /system
      exit
      Code:

Hope this helps.