No Cellular Connectivity After Flashing Stock ROM on Google Play Moto G

Search This thread

MetaNova

Oct 18, 2012
I had the Google Play edition of the Moto G running the nightly builds of Cyanogenmod, and all things considered, it was going pretty well. However, after a while I noticed that my GPS seemed unable to get a lock. Later, it seemed unable to connect to mobile data, though all the other cellular functions worked just fine. I assumed this must have something to do with the CM nightlies.

The real trouble came when I tried restoring Motorola's stock firmware. Considering there aren't really any releases of the Google version of the Moto G firmware, I thought that was my best bet. I followed the instructions found here, rebooted, and found I was unable to use any of the cellular features, along with a helpful "No Service" icon in my status area. I have since reinstalled Cyanogenmod, and still have all the same issues.

Here is the About and About > Status pages for your reference:
1d8NYZP.png

Ky07PDr.png

I have read that similar issues can be caused by having a corrupted IMEI. However, I've pulled the pds partition off the device, mounted it, and found the following files:
Code:
batt_health  bt  camera  factory  lost+found  pds_formatted_v10  public  security  whisper  wifi  wmdrm
and I see an IMEI in the phone status, so I would assume that it is fine.

Is it possible the firmware for the modem is not functioning properly? As a rather low priority, any tips on debugging GPS would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Last edited:

pfufle

Aug 22, 2013
You probably haven't reflashed the correct GPE firmware...On XDA, there are many GPE firmwares most of which are modified to convert xt1032 and xt1033 to GPE by changing the radios and the fsg.bin file...Make sure you choose the original GPE firmware...

---------------------------------------------------------
Hit the thanks button if I helped you 8)

Reactions: MetaNova

MetaNova

Oct 18, 2012
You probably haven't reflashed the correct GPE firmware...On XDA, there are many GPE firmwares most of which are modified to convert xt1032 and xt1033 to GPE by changing the radios and the fsg.bin file...Make sure you choose the original GPE firmware...

I flashed "fsg_gpe.img" from this thread and still get the same issue. Will I have to do a factory reset or flash any other components?

pfufle

Aug 22, 2013
You do get an original GPE firmware somewhere on XDA, flash that...

MetaNova

Oct 18, 2012
You do get an original GPE firmware somewhere on XDA, flash that...

I've reflashed the stock firmware and I still have the same issue. I should mention that under Status, it says Radio off. There seem to be others having the same issue:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2755011

My status readout is the exact same as the above poster's.

Last edited:

pfufle

Aug 22, 2013
I've reflashed the stock firmware and I still have the same issue. I should mention that under Status, it says Radio off. There seem to be others having the same issue:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2755011

My status readout is the exact same as the above poster's.

That is because you haven't flashed the stock GPE firmware...You might have flashed a different firmware

MetaNova

Oct 18, 2012
That is because you haven't flashed the stock GPE firmware...You might have flashed a different firmware

Sorry, I have a lot of tabs open and linked to the wrong thread. I got the stock GPE firmware from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633272 and then even updated to 4.4.4 using the official OTA update which contained an fsg among other things.

Partitions BOOT, RECOVERY, LOGO, FSG (fsg_gpe.img) and MODEM are same as flashed on GPE devices.

Last edited:

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
I got the stock GPE firmware from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633272 and then even updated to 4.4.4 using the official OTA update which contained an fsg among other things.
Obviously the flashing process has not been complete. Since there is currently no 4.4.4 GPE image, you could try the 4.4.4 Retail EU image: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54757500&postcount=348

Do all of the fastboot commands manually and report back any errors. In particular, ensure the following commands are included:
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2​

MetaNova

Oct 18, 2012
Obviously the flashing process has not been complete. Since there is currently no 4.4.4 GPE image, you could try the 4.4.4 Retail EU image: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54757500&postcount=348

Do all of the fastboot commands manually and report back any errors. In particular, ensure the following commands are included:
mfastboot erase modemst1

I have written(/erased) and rewritten everything several times with fastboot, especially NON-HLOS.bin and modemst(1|2) parts. I begrudgingly did it one more time as you requested, and..... it worked. You seriously have the magic touch or something.

Thank. You.
thankyouthankyouthankyou. Whatever you did. XD

Second question: Even after the above fix, my mobile data didn't work until I manually added an APN with the data on my provider's website. One of the reasons I had started flashing roms in the first place, before I managed to break it, was that one day my mobile data stopped working.

When I set up my phone, the APN's seemed to pop up out of nowhere and everything worked just fine. Why did I manually have to add one now?

Thanks again!

Reactions: lost101

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

mfastboot erase modemst1

I have written(/erased) and rewritten everything several times with fastboot, especially NON-HLOS.bin and modemst(1|2) parts. I begrudgingly did it one more time as you requested, and..... it worked. You seriously have the magic touch or something.

Thank. You.
    thankyouthankyouthankyou. Whatever you did. XD

Second question: Even after the above fix, my mobile data didn't work until I manually added an APN with the data on my provider's website. One of the reasons I had started flashing roms in the first place, before I managed to break it, was that one day my mobile data stopped working.

When I set up my phone, the APN's seemed to pop up out of nowhere and everything worked just fine. Why did I manually have to add one now?

Thanks again!