[REF] Odin3 v1.30

Search This thread

masterotaku

Jul 22, 2010
Spartanburg S.C.
I ran across this about a week ago on one of the many other XDA forums (can't remember which one now).

It is an updated version of Odin3, version 1.30.

All the existing ROM's that I see packaged here that require Odin to flash are bundling Odin3 v1.00, and it seems people have tons of problems with that version. I myself have v1.00 stall/hang more often than it works when flashing.

I figured it'd be a good idea to have a Dev thread on this for several reasons.

1). For people to post feedback on it relative to Odin3 v1.00

2). To find out precisely where this came from, and whether or not it's the most current version.

Odin3 v1.30 works insanely better for me as it hasn't once hung on a flash for me......(yet), though given the differences we all experience in Windows versions (XP, 2003, Vista, 7, x86, x64, etc..) and differences in USB chipset hardware I figure it'd be a good thing to have some feedback and discussion about it's relative merits or lack thereof. :)

(i.e. Just because *I* think it's way better doesn't necessarily mean that it is)

I do know one thing for certain. If we can all discover a safer way to flash we'll all significantly reduce our chance of bricking our lovely phones.

(note: I figured it'd be a good idea to cross-post this here as it's gotten a bit buried over in Themes and Apps, and Odin3 is a Dev tool of sorts...)

Attachments

• Odin3epicv1.3.rar
    351 KB · Views: 43,129
Last edited:

creator2456

Jul 12, 2010
Chicago
OnePlus 8T
Going to give this a try shortly. Will update on how it goes.

Used it to revert to stock then to flash the JI2 modem over FrankinTwiz w/KingKlick's kernel and worked flawlessly.

** Using the drivers found in the Dev section w/Win7 64

Last edited:

Trev420

Jul 30, 2010
I was having problems flashing Eugenes modem.bin through odin. Froze 3 times nearly bricking phone.

I was on win 7, 64bit.

Hope this new version helps

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
I have been using this since this weekend. I have used it to flash my phone 20 times or so. It works just fine. However, I never had a problem with v1.0, so YMMV.

By the way, what are the DLL files in there used for? I just deleted them.

masterotaku

Jul 22, 2010
Spartanburg S.C.
in regards to 1.3, yes, it works, however 1.0 is still the most stable.

I've found the exact opposite to be true. But I don't mention that to be contentious. One unique aspect perhaps of my Windows machines is they're all running x64 versions of Windows (1 Vista box, 2 "7" boxes).

I easily get 70 plus percent fail to flash rates with v1.00 (meaning the flash stalls, almost always at the beginning of the flash), but this may merely be a symptom of the Samsung x64 drivers playing nicer with 1.30 and not Odin3 at all.

So far out of a dozen and a half or so flashes using 1.30, I've had zero failures that resulted in me having to re-engage download mode or face the dreaded "OMGIBRICKEDMYPHONE" screen. I did have one FAIL notice once, but Odin didn't lock up like it always does for me with v1.00, and all it took was disconnecting/reconnecting the phone and clicking START again and all was well.

The plot thickens. :)

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
I have flashed with 1.0 probably 40 or so times, and flashed with 1.3 probably 15 to 20 times, and I have never had a fail on either.

I would say that an Odin fail is directly tied to the stability of your computer. I would run a spy-ware check and/or check for driver problems.

masterotaku

Jul 22, 2010
Spartanburg S.C.
I have flashed with 1.0 probably 40 or so times, and flashed with 1.3 probably 15 to 20 times, and I have never had a fail on either.

I would say that an Odin fail is directly tied to the stability of your computer. I would run a spy-ware check and/or check for driver problems.

If it weren't happening consistently on three spyware free x64 machines, running Samsung's WHQL Certified x64 drivers, I'd tend to agree with you.

And it doesn't take a lot of walking through brick threads here and in the other dev forums on XDA to see it's quite the common occurrence. But like your experience it does seem that people have either zero problems or nothing but problems, with little middle ground.

And don't take this the wrong way, or as me grandstanding, but I built my first computer 28 years ago...with a soldering iron. I've worked professionally in the industry for two decades. It's only Android that's relatively new to me. I've already thought through the likelihood of spyware and other possible resource conflicts and came up empty.

At this point I'm leaning towards this being an x64 environment issue exacerbating the already well known timing issues with Odin3, but that's still just anecdotal experience at play here. Given how wonky (and useless) WHQL certification can be, it could also be the drivers. Tempted to pull one of my old dual core x86 boxes out of mothballs to try some 32bit action and see if things change.

At the end of the day I'm just trying to discern what's the best Odin3 to be using. It was updated for a reason one would think, but it's hard enough finding useful info about Odin3 period.

Last edited:

jdkackley

Aug 5, 2010
Chicago
If it weren't happening consistently on three spyware free x64 machines, running Samsung's WHQL Certified x64 drivers, I'd tend to agree with you.

And it doesn't take a lot of walking through brick threads here and in the other dev forums on XDA to see it's quite the common occurrence. But like your experience it does seem that people have either zero problems or nothing but problems, with little middle ground.

And don't take this the wrong way, or as me grandstanding, but I built my first computer 28 years ago...with a soldering iron. I've worked professionally in the industry for two decades. It's only Android that's relatively new to me. I've already thought through the likelihood of spyware and other possible resource conflicts and came up empty.

At this point I'm leaning towards this being an x64 environment issue exacerbating the already well known timing issues with Odin3, but that's still just anecdotal experience at play here. Given how wonky (and useless) WHQL certification can be, it could also be the drivers. Tempted to pull one of my old dual core x86 boxes out of mothballs to try some 32bit action and see if things change.

At the end of the day I'm just trying to discern what's the best Odin3 to be using. It was updated for a reason one would think, but it's hard enough finding useful info about Odin3 period.

Just fyi guys, im running x86 7 using ODIN 1.0 and still experienced about a 50% failure rate. Just food for thought. However as of lately I'm either getting better at hitting start or ODIN has been in better spirits. FWIW I will try ODIN 1.3 in my future flashes to see if there is any difference.

AustinKnight45

Jan 11, 2009
Austin
I've found that when you start odin v1.0 and when it finds your phone you have to work fast like 10 sec, put the files in and then hit start and it works well for me I'm on win 7 x64.

angryPirate12

Jan 14, 2009
Canton, OH
Vista x64, I never installed the Samsung WHQL drivers at all. I used the drivers that come with the Android SDK, using Odin 1.0, I have only had one fail, and it was my fault, i accidentally pulled the USB plug, lord knows how many flash's I've done through odin, been using it since theres been custom ROMs available.

I'm going to agree with its people's systems that affect Odin. Anyone who has done any kind of work on Windows knows that it's driver system for devices, while nice and simple in theory, is nowhere near as convenient when it comes to practice. Not too mention the hardware aspect of USB controller chips or North/Southbridges on the motherboards having some kind of high frequency interference, bad HAL level drivers, or just a bad chip creating data throughput or connection consistency problems... yet another reason to go Mac or Linux.

masterotaku

Jul 22, 2010
Spartanburg S.C.
Vista x64, I never installed the Samsung WHQL drivers at all. I used the drivers that come with the Android SDK, using Odin 1.0, I have only had one fail, and it was my fault, i accidentally pulled the USB plug, lord knows how many flash's I've done through odin, been using it since theres been custom ROMs available.

I'm going to agree with its people's systems that affect Odin. Anyone who has done any kind of work on Windows knows that it's driver system for devices, while nice and simple in theory, is nowhere near as convenient when it comes to practice. Not too mention the hardware aspect of USB controller chips or North/Southbridges on the motherboards having some kind of high frequency interference, bad HAL level drivers, or just a bad chip creating data throughput or connection consistency problems... yet another reason to go Mac or Linux.

I guess the only problem with that take, is that you can count the reliable Linux and Mac firmware tools for Android on the fingers of one foot. There is one project running that I've been following. It's an early alpha and buggy as a roach motel at this stage (not disparaging the authors....it's the nature of being an alpha).

Coming up to speed on all of this out of necessity and curiosity I'm still going to lean towards Odin3 v1.0 itself as the primary culprit for a few obvious reasons. And even if it works reliably for many that still doesn't mean it is issue free. And with me even saying that I also acknowledge that the phones themselves play a significant role.

XDA Dev forums are a useful resource, and it doesn't take much digging around the other Android dev forums to see that timing issues between different model phones and Odin3 v1.0 are a significant issue. The subtle differences in the different Android phones themselves is as much an issue as the firmware tool, this much is painfully apparent. One gets motivated to do this sort of digging when one thinks they've bricked there phone! :)

There's also the obvious question. Why was Odin3 updated to a newer version? Probably to fix something....

At the end of the day I'm not trying to be divisive or argumentative here. I'm just trying to reason my way through this as best I can. At the very least we have another software tool at our disposal, one that at least anecdotally is worth using should you have issues with the older version of the software.

Out of curiosity I did actually un-mothball an old XP SP2 32bit box I'd been using as a dedicated StepMania system in my kids room (till they turned into teenagers and stopped caring about DDR clones), and Odin3 v1.0 works far better on that old hardware. Version 1.30 does also, but if your comparing the two on a system where v1.0 is already working reliably...well your missing the point.

Having said that, I know I'm in a unique position. I have 4 desktop systems, a laptop, a 3 Terabyte NAS, and a Home Theater PC, and a house I wired with Gigabit Ethernet because I roll like that. I also have spare PC's in storage here and there because I work on them and networks for a living. I have easy options many people who simply want to tinker with their shiny new phones do not.

More tools and less bricks = good. :)

amandadam

Aug 17, 2010
Niantic
I guess the only problem with that take, is that you can count the reliable Linux and Mac firmware tools for Android on the fingers of one foot. There is one project running that I've been following. It's an early alpha and buggy as a roach motel at this stage (not disparaging the authors....it's the nature of being an alpha).

Coming up to speed on all of this out of necessity and curiosity I'm still going to lean towards Odin3 v1.0 itself as the primary culprit for a few obvious reasons. And even if it works reliably for many that still doesn't mean it is issue free. And with me even saying that I also acknowledge that the phones themselves play a significant role.

XDA Dev forums are a useful resource, and it doesn't take much digging around the other Android dev forums to see that timing issues between different model phones and Odin3 v1.0 are a significant issue. The subtle differences in the different Android phones themselves is as much an issue as the firmware tool, this much is painfully apparent. One gets motivated to do this sort of digging when one thinks they've bricked there phone! :)

There's also the obvious question. Why was Odin3 updated to a newer version? Probably to fix something....

At the end of the day I'm not trying to be divisive or argumentative here. I'm just trying to reason my way through this as best I can. At the very least we have another software tool at our disposal, one that at least anecdotally is worth using should you have issues with the older version of the software.

Out of curiosity I did actually un-mothball an old XP SP2 32bit box I'd been using as a dedicated StepMania system in my kids room (till they turned into teenagers and stopped caring about DDR clones), and Odin3 v1.0 works far better on that old hardware. Version 1.30 does also, but if your comparing the two on a system where v1.0 is already working reliably...well your missing the point.

Having said that, I know I'm in a unique position. I have 4 desktop systems, a laptop, a 3 Terabyte NAS, and a Home Theater PC, and a house I wired with Gigabit Ethernet because I roll like that. I also have spare PC's in storage here and there because I work on them and networks for a living. I have easy options many people who simply want to tinker with their shiny new phones do not.

More tools and less bricks = good. :)

Well said.

C-4Nati

Jun 28, 2010
Cincinnati
ok this might seem like a noob question but i'm a linux guy, haven't used microsoft in forever so when i downloaded the .rar for odin and try to open it , it says i have to choose a program to open it with. What do i do to actually open odin so i can use it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I ran across this about a week ago on one of the many other XDA forums (can't remember which one now).

It is an updated version of Odin3, version 1.30.

All the existing ROM's that I see packaged here that require Odin to flash are bundling Odin3 v1.00, and it seems people have tons of problems with that version. I myself have v1.00 stall/hang more often than it works when flashing.

I figured it'd be a good idea to have a Dev thread on this for several reasons.

1). For people to post feedback on it relative to Odin3 v1.00

2). To find out precisely where this came from, and whether or not it's the most current version.

Odin3 v1.30 works insanely better for me as it hasn't once hung on a flash for me......(yet), though given the differences we all experience in Windows versions (XP, 2003, Vista, 7, x86, x64, etc..) and differences in USB chipset hardware I figure it'd be a good thing to have some feedback and discussion about it's relative merits or lack thereof. :)

(i.e. Just because *I* think it's way better doesn't necessarily mean that it is)

I do know one thing for certain. If we can all discover a safer way to flash we'll all significantly reduce our chance of bricking our lovely phones.

(note: I figured it'd be a good idea to cross-post this here as it's gotten a bit buried over in Themes and Apps, and Odin3 is a Dev tool of sorts...)