[COMPETITION] PebbleWear - A homescreen replacement bringing powerful notifications

Search This thread

RichardGG

Aug 1, 2014
[COMPETITION] PebbleWear - A homescreen replacement bringing powerful notifications

Alpha Release:

Well, this could have gone a lot better. This app ended up being a larger project than I initially imagined and was filled with bugs that were hard to track down. I'm releasing a limited version that only displays notifications (no interaction) so I can release something mostly functional. This is a project that I really want to see finished, so my work on it will not be stopping.

Either way it's 4am here. So I need to sleep.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.richardgg.androidpls
https://apps.getpebble.com/applications/540a0aeb7c799eb18d000127

Github:
https://github.com/RichardGG/PebbleWearAndroid
https://github.com/RichardGG/PebbleWearPebble

Pebble Wear is a replacement homescreen for Pebble.

WthMoEa.png

With Pebble Wear your notifications are always accessible right below the watch face. Notifications are mirrored exactly as they appear on your phone and are shown as a list of cards packed with glanceable information. (Text, images and icons)

iVKjSwC.png

Notifications are sorted by priority and only vibrate if they would on your phone.

The functionality doesn't end there, by pressing the back button you can dismiss a notification (also dismissing it from your phone) and by pressing the select button you can view additional pages and even trigger actions on the notification.

Sqs4K6F.png

Core Functionality:
Version 1 will have at least the following functionality:
  • Basic digital watchface
  • Notifications mirrored
  • Images
  • Icons
  • Dismiss
  • Actions
  • Support Android 4.4+

Future Functionality:
Possible future functionality:
  • Customisable watchface
  • Notification Pages
  • Specific Android Wear notification functionality (eg quick reply actions, extra notification pages)
  • Expandable notifications
  • Support Android 4.3 (if in demand)

XDA:DevDB Information
Pebble Wear, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
RichardGG

Version Information

Created 2014-08-15
Last Updated 2014-09-05

RichardGG

Aug 1, 2014
Sorry for the lack of updates. I've made substantial progress since starting development.

This is my first time working with Android and many of the Pebble SDK features so I found it helpful to develop small test apps to understand individual features. This has been very informative but has probably slowed down development.

Either way I have the following sorted:

--Watch App UI--
Memory management (how much I will store on the watch)
Binary image manipulation
Animations

--Test Notification App--
App Messages (the following data is sent to and displayed on watch)
Notification text
Notification icons
Notification images
Image dithering (surprising simple algorithm, but very effective)

I now need to combine my test UI with my notification sending which will give me an early usable version. After that, notification actions, and then finally add a tutorial/setup guide to the Android App.

Last edited:
Reactions: trdspectacoma

SuperKrog

Feb 25, 2011
Roma
seems promising!
not working so good to my phone and pebble (loading on every notification) but I want to keep a look on the development :)

zedray

Jul 14, 2011
Great concept

Great concept. I didn't know this was possible!

Consider posting the full Android project source onto GitHub so we can fork.

Last edited:

RichardGG

Aug 1, 2014
Sorry about the delay. I've decided to redesign it to better fit the Pebble rather than just being a port of Android Wear. I'll still be supporting the same feature set except for the watchface. I'll hopefully have something done by the end of the year.

RichardGG

Aug 1, 2014
Thanks for your interest. I've had a bit of a software development dry spell but I want to get back into it ASAP. This is a big project and I'll be basically starting again from scratch so unfortunately, if I do continue, it won't be done until later this year. I'll keep this thread updated on any progress I make.

Reactions: Iguanadon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Alpha Release:

Well, this could have gone a lot better. This app ended up being a larger project than I initially imagined and was filled with bugs that were hard to track down. I'm releasing a limited version that only displays notifications (no interaction) so I can release something mostly functional. This is a project that I really want to see finished, so my work on it will not be stopping.

Either way it's 4am here. So I need to sleep.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.richardgg.androidpls
    https://apps.getpebble.com/applications/540a0aeb7c799eb18d000127

Github:
    https://github.com/RichardGG/PebbleWearAndroid
    https://github.com/RichardGG/PebbleWearPebble

Pebble Wear is a replacement homescreen for Pebble.

WthMoEa.png

With Pebble Wear your notifications are always accessible right below the watch face. Notifications are mirrored exactly as they appear on your phone and are shown as a list of cards packed with glanceable information. (Text, images and icons)

iVKjSwC.png

Notifications are sorted by priority and only vibrate if they would on your phone.

The functionality doesn't end there, by pressing the back button you can dismiss a notification (also dismissing it from your phone) and by pressing the select button you can view additional pages and even trigger actions on the notification.

Sqs4K6F.png

Core Functionality:
    Version 1 will have at least the following functionality:
    • Basic digital watchface
    • Notifications mirrored
    • Images
    • Icons
    • Dismiss
    • Actions
    • Support Android 4.4+

Future Functionality:
    Possible future functionality:
    • Customisable watchface
    • Notification Pages
    • Specific Android Wear notification functionality (eg quick reply actions, extra notification pages)
    • Expandable notifications
    • Support Android 4.3 (if in demand)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Pebble Wear, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    RichardGG

Version Information

Created 2014-08-15
    Last Updated 2014-09-05
    uhm,...is this project still active? Would be great.
    Sorry about the delay. I've decided to redesign it to better fit the Pebble rather than just being a port of Android Wear. I'll still be supporting the same feature set except for the watchface. I'll hopefully have something done by the end of the year.
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I've made substantial progress since starting development.

This is my first time working with Android and many of the Pebble SDK features so I found it helpful to develop small test apps to understand individual features. This has been very informative but has probably slowed down development.

Either way I have the following sorted:

--Watch App UI--
    Memory management (how much I will store on the watch)
    Binary image manipulation
    Animations

--Test Notification App--
    App Messages (the following data is sent to and displayed on watch)
    Notification text
    Notification icons
    Notification images
    Image dithering (surprising simple algorithm, but very effective)

I now need to combine my test UI with my notification sending which will give me an early usable version. After that, notification actions, and then finally add a tutorial/setup guide to the Android App.
    Thanks for your interest. I've had a bit of a software development dry spell but I want to get back into it ASAP. This is a big project and I'll be basically starting again from scratch so unfortunately, if I do continue, it won't be done until later this year. I'll keep this thread updated on any progress I make.