Before I return this unit as defective (slow I/O)

Search This thread

madelk

May 26, 2007
Ever since I got my Nexus 7 I noticed it was a little on the slow side, when playing 3D games I experienced a lot of freezing and issues when it was loading in new textures but more recently I've noticed these issues get worse. Downloading an app is tremendously slow with it taking several minutes to download just a few meg while my phone completes the same task in seconds. From what I've been able to deduce it seems like an I/O issue as my Quadrant score is just barely over 700 when an average appears to be at least double that. It also took several attempts to download Quadrant as the package file kept coming back as invalid when downloading from the market.

Is there anything I'm missing here that I should try? I rooted the device a week or so ago but I don't see how that could of borked it (but I'm not a doctor). I've also tried searching for others having this issue, but trying to search for "Nexus 7 I/O" brings up mostly hits about the announcement :)

UPDATE: I've just finally got AndroBench installed, here are the horrific results.
MICRO
SEQ RD: 17.83 MB/s
SEQ WR: 0.56 MB/s
RND RD: 1548.85 IOPS(4K)
RND WR: 33.0 IPOS(4K)

SQLite
Insert: 1.36 TPS
Update: 3.29 TPS
Delete: 3.17 TPS

UPDATE2: After a full wipe I'm scoring this:
MICRO
SEQ RD: 12.29 MB/s
SEQ WR: 7.8 MB/s
RND RD: 753.66 IOPS(4K)
RND WR: 74.12 IPOS(4K)

SQLite
Insert: 27.74 TPS
Update: 26.15 TPS
Delete: 28.92 TPS

Last edited:

AuxiliaryPie

Oct 28, 2010
i would try flashing stock and starting over from fresh out of the box. The return process is bothersom and if for some reason this fixes it, you save yourself a lot of headache. Plus if you return it, you're gonna wanna be unrooted and locked anyways :)

Reactions: madelk

madelk

May 26, 2007
i would try flashing stock and starting over from fresh out of the box. The return process is bothersom and if for some reason this fixes it, you save yourself a lot of headache. Plus if you return it, you're gonna wanna be unrooted and locked anyways :)

I am running a stock ROM and I didn't install a bootloader. I figured that the device was cool enough that I really didn't want to mess with custom ROMs anyhow. But you're right, no reason not to wipe it if I'm going to return it anyhow.

madelk

May 26, 2007
After a full wipe some of my scores have improved and apps are installing faster, but these scores still seem a little lame.
Can any other Nexus 7 owners out there offer their own for comparison?

phcahill

Jan 2, 2007
I have opened a case with Asus about this. Please do the same if the i/o slowdown is happening to your Nexus 7.
If anyone knows how to open a case with Google, please post.

Reactions: JNeail

E_Goldstein

Nov 23, 2011
Here is my results on a week old C80 model with only 500mb left

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347270932478.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347270932478.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 517

E_Goldstein

Nov 23, 2011
Your device is sloooow.. too much stuff installed im guessing

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2

I guess it is but everything loads fine, and quick enough its just full of games waiting from my 64gig flash drive to arrive so i can play them all from that, but ive got no problems

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

phcahill

Jan 2, 2007
I and maybe others have managed to get an article published on The Register.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/11/nexus_7/

However the commentards have missed the issue and think that owners are bleating that they only have 13GB and not 16GB or that it runs slow when 99% full.

Please comment on the article that write performance is still a tenth of what it should be, even when the file system is cleared down so that lots of space is free.
So far the only solution is a factory reset.

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
It's well known Asus' tabs have poor I/O performance... its been discussed for awhile now, if you think its bad on the 7, you'd really hate the Prime or Transformer series..

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...hmark-11-modern-devices-compared-in-13-tests/
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1595531
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1757765
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review/6

More recently users have been noticing very poor performance with ASUS Android tablets whenever there's substantial background IO going on, particularly multitasking while writes are taking place (e.g. downloading a torrent and browsing the web). The slowdowns range from multi-second long pauses to sluggish response time.

Last edited:

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
Running paranoid android with motley kernel
MICRO
SEQ RD: 17.87 MB/s
SEQ WR: 150.77 MB/s
RND RD: 2163.2 IOPS(4K)
RND WR: 59885.17 IPOS(4K)

SQLite
Insert: 937.5 TPS
Update: 699.3 TPS
Delete: 943.39 TPS[/QUOTE]

Sent from my Nexus 7

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
My n7 has been pitiful lately. I have been running PA for a while so i decidet to fresh install it but there was still tons of lag. I clean installed sgt7 and same results. Multitasking is pathetic. Im going to reset it to stock in the morning when im off work to deduce wether or not to send it in. I have a warranty with squaretrade but im not sure if i should contact asus directly.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

hyperspacey

Sep 14, 2012
Glasgow
I'm thinking this is a launch-era hardware issue due to a dodgy memory controller or something (or Asus cutting corners to meet demand). If people would be so kind as to post their build date/ serial from the inside of the back plate I'd appreciate it, maybe we can narrow it down to a release hardware problem and know we could replace it with newer units.

Mine:
Build date 2012/05/26
14007-00530400
3DC

android88

Jan 21, 2012
Ever since I got my Nexus 7 I noticed it was a little on the slow side, when playing 3D games I experienced a lot of freezing and issues when it was loading in new textures but more recently I've noticed these issues get worse. Downloading an app is tremendously slow with it taking several minutes to download just a few meg while my phone completes the same task in seconds. From what I've been able to deduce it seems like an I/O issue as my Quadrant score is just barely over 700 when an average appears to be at least double that. It also took several attempts to download Quadrant as the package file kept coming back as invalid when downloading from the market.

Is there anything I'm missing here that I should try? I rooted the device a week or so ago but I don't see how that could of borked it (but I'm not a doctor). I've also tried searching for others having this issue, but trying to search for "Nexus 7 I/O" brings up mostly hits about the announcement :)

UPDATE: I've just finally got AndroBench installed, here are the horrific results.
MICRO

SQLite

MICRO

SQLite

Try returning to stock like the other guy said. You could also wipe data, wipe everything, change rom, etc.

JNeail

Aug 9, 2008
Solhull
I have opened a case with Asus about this. Please do the same if the i/o slowdown is happening to your Nexus 7.

Yeah - me too ... second call to them today, have been referred to 2nd line this time.... the claimed I was the "1st" to call about it!! - I await contact now from them either by phone or email... :cowboy:

Nephom

Feb 9, 2011

MICRO

SQLite

MICRO

SQLite

my N7(C9O) is

MICRO
SEQ RD: 15.61 MB/s
SEQ WR: 186.81 MB/s
RND RD: 1627.08 IOPS(4K)
RND WR: 76227.21 IPOS(4K)

SQLite
Insert: 1102.94 TPS
Update: 656.45 TPS
Delete: 925.92 TPS

MoussePad

Jul 4, 2011
Jonquiere
Just a thought...

Hello guys,

I do have a Nexus 7 16 Gb right now, but haven't been plagued (yet) by the behaviour you describe. I did not get close to 3 Gb left since I got the tablet.

But I just had an idea that may help pinpoint where the trouble is:

How about adding a test feature to ClockworkMod Recovery for this trouble? In other words, you have a tablet that's going as fast as a turtle in a pot of molasses, why not reboot it in recovery to see if the memory will exhibit the same behaviour, while Android is not running?

I'm planning to submit this idea to the ClockworkMod team and see what they think. It could become a very useful tool in the future.

If adding the feature to CWM Recovery, how about creating a "recovery image" that would implement the feature and simply start it from fastboot without flashing it in order to perform the test?

Thoughts?

EDIT: I've run some tests on my N7, on CM10-M1, with a serial number that begins with 015d262d.

Got it down to 750 MB free by copying a lot of stuff on the sdcard, and here are the results, with AndroBench:

Seq Read: 26,8 MB/s
Seq Write: 8,90 MB/s
Rnd Read: 7,75 MB/s, 1986,26 IOPS (4K)
Rnd Write: 0,27 MB/s, 71,05 IOPS (4K)

And after erasing all the junk stuff:

Seq Read: 22,55 MB/s
Seq Write: 10,14 MB/s
Rnd Read: 7,31 MB/s, 1872,63 IOPS (4K)
Rnd Write: 0,24 MB/s, 62,26 IOPS (4K)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    not a benchmark guy but will install this app and let you know my results

EDIT here they are

MICRO
    SEQ RD: 28.76 MB/s
    SEQ WR: 11.25 MB/s
    RND RD: 1927.82 IOPS(4K)
    RND WR: 133.32 IPOS(4K)

SQLite
    Insert: 60.65 TPS
    Update: 65.74 TPS
    Delete: 68.82 TPS