Towelroot

Search This thread

dgrobe2112

Mar 30, 2010
I did the towelroot on my S5 sprint phone. also, used the root checker, and said it was successful.

my question is, is this a true root? can i install roms? what is the best recovery to use?

Is there instructions out there, on how to get a recovery installed after doing towel root?

If i havent done the true, full root, how much further do i need to go, in order to start flashing roms?

Is there a true, Google Play edition rom out there for this phone?

luriert

May 24, 2011
New York City
I did the towelroot on my S5 sprint phone. also, used the root checker, and said it was successful.

my question is, is this a true root? can i install roms? what is the best recovery to use?

Is there instructions out there, on how to get a recovery installed after doing towel root?

If i havent done the true, full root, how much further do i need to go, in order to start flashing roms?

Is there a true, Google Play edition rom out there for this phone?

It is a true root, but just remember you still have a locked bootloader, so you can not flash custom roms, recoveries or kernels that are not based off of TouchWiz (essentially limited to stuff built ontop of TouchWiz).

Once the bootloader is unlocked then you can do all of that.

GPE version of the phone is still a rumor, but they released the S4 GPE version around this time...

dgrobe2112

Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for that information.. since i dont have the bootloader unlocked, i really cant do anything.

Should i just go back to stock? is there an easy way to do this?

Or

Should i unlock the bootloader? is there step by step instructions on this? Sprint Galaxy S5

Reactions: Chaitanyapatel8880
Thanks for that information.. since i dont have the bootloader unlocked, i really cant do anything.

Or

Should i unlock the bootloader? is there step by step instructions on this? Sprint Galaxy S5

There was a developer for note 3 who wrote a script to install ROM without custom recovery. It might be the way if any developer can develop script for S5 as well...

luriert

May 24, 2011
New York City

Or

Yes that is correct you can't really do anything in terms of custom roms. That being said you still are rooted, so you can install titanium backup and the xposed framework and modify your phone using those methods. You still are on stock, just with an rooted phone, are you talking about unrooting the phone? I've seen things that can let you do that (like this) but I don't think your phone is supported.

I wish I could say that unlocking the bootloader is something that is as easy as you may think it is. It is extremely difficult from my understanding. I don't know a lot about it so I can't give you a good answer to be honest, but I haven't seen anything on the subject.

Just so you know, that once VZW pushes an update to your phone, you will lose root (if you update) and won't be able to reroot until a new exploit is found (assuming the update closes the exploit that towelroot initially took advantage of). This news sucks but this is just a fact of life when dealing with VZW and ATT.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Yes that is correct you can't really do anything in terms of custom roms. That being said you still are rooted, so you can install titanium backup and the xposed framework and modify your phone using those methods. You still are on stock, just with an rooted phone, are you talking about unrooting the phone? I've seen things that can let you do that (like this) but I don't think your phone is supported.

I wish I could say that unlocking the bootloader is something that is as easy as you may think it is. It is extremely difficult from my understanding. I don't know a lot about it so I can't give you a good answer to be honest, but I haven't seen anything on the subject.

Just so you know, that once VZW pushes an update to your phone, you will lose root (if you update) and won't be able to reroot until a new exploit is found (assuming the update closes the exploit that towelroot initially took advantage of). This news sucks but this is just a fact of life when dealing with VZW and ATT.

Not completely true, if you install superSU Pro from the play store root will stick after an update because of the survival mode.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Not completely true, if you install superSU Pro from the play store root should stick after an update because of the survival mode.

luriert

May 24, 2011
New York City
Not completely true, if you install superSU Pro from the play store root will stick after an update because of the survival mode.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Didn't realize that SuperSU Pro could maintain that even if they close the exploit in the kernel that allows them access root functionality. How is that possible?

dgrobe2112

Mar 30, 2010
all good info..

the reason i want to root, is in hopes of getting a true google phone. No Touchwiz.. i did install superSU. i understand that will keep my phone from getting viruses as easy.

however, my phone popped up an update icon, so i went to check if i could download the update. the message i got was..

"the operating system on your device has been modified in an unauthorized way. try downloading software updates using samsung kiel on your PC, or visit a customer service center."

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
all good info..

the reason i want to root, is in hopes of getting a true google phone. No Touchwiz.. i did install superSU. i understand that will keep my phone from getting viruses as easy.

however, my phone popped up an update icon, so i went to check if i could download the update. the message i got was..

"the operating system on your device has been modified in an unauthorized way. try downloading software updates using samsung kiel on your PC, or visit a customer service center."

Big Brother is watching you ;) Walk slowly, go lie on the floor and spread your arms and legs. The NSA will be there any minute now :)
Don`t think that because Towelroot doesn`t trip KNOX (atm) root will not be identified by both the phones hard- and software.

Last edited:

2006ducatis4r

Jun 30, 2014
** Sprint s5 **

Hello,

I came across your thread on the TowelRoot for the Sprint S5 and I was interested in doing this to my Sprint S5 also.

* I just wanted to confirm with you if there is anything I need to know before I do this? I was scared because I didn't see any threads or news to confirm that the V3 TowelRoot will work with our phone.

Please let me know, thank you

Ducatis4r :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Or