DONT WANT A BRICK? Check here

Search This thread

jansiin

May 23, 2009
T-mobile 4G

And the doc saves another one:D

Guys,
I tried to avoid doing a NOOB question but, I searched and didn't find what I needed.
I used to do the Flash in the S2. It was unlocked and I never had any problem in Brazil.

When I got to US, T-Mobile wouldn't give me 4G because it was not a T-mobile Phone.

Now I have the S3 and I am concerned if I flash a now room for the JB I will have any sort of problems with T-mobile.
Can anybody tell me if there is any consequence of flashing the device regarding T-mobile?

Thanks

radar9

Jan 27, 2008
Honolulu
It wouldn't even power on. I sent it off to Mobiletechvideos.com. He restored it. Got it back in about 1 week. Restored it to the point it was before I screwed up and flashed the wrong ROM. I strongly suggest using his services if you brick your S3.

does that mean ?

As of right now, the roms for your S3 are not meant to be used on other S3 variants. Bricks might happens or a soft one might happen. Before flashing a Rom make sure you are in the right development section an you read the entire op, twice. Until other devs or experienced users find a way to make them cross compatible, please refrain from using other carriers S3 roms.

Also wind mobile an Tmobile are not interchangeable.

so the thread says T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron Samsung Galaxy S III > T-Mobile Galaxy S III Android Development i have the t999 t mobile correct me if im wrong this for all those or just the t999? sorry if thats noobish :confused: a bit

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
so the thread says T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron Samsung Galaxy S III > T-Mobile Galaxy S III Android Development i have the t999 t mobile correct me if im wrong this for all those or just the t999? sorry if thats noobish :confused: a bit

This forum is PRIMARILY for the T999. But it is practically identical to the Canadian T999V model which is used by Mobilicity, Videotron and Wind. Other carriers use both of these models, but these are the main ones.
The biggest, and from what I can tell, the only difference is in the firmware. The partition layout is the same, but the data stored on those partitions is different (to what extent it is different, or whether it is different on every partition, I cannot say).

T999V users are able to safely use Roms built for the T999, including the kernels. The only thing that is incompatible is the modem. It will flash successfully (aka, wont brick) but it simply will not work on the other networks.
As far as I can tell, CWM and TWRP recoveries are built only for the T999, but can be used on the T999V. This can cause issues though when trying to install in certain ways, and can potentially also cause problems if trying to install something that does a check to confirm the device model. I do not think this will cause any harm though, it will just fail out.

Also, I should go ahead and note that the AT&T model, SGH-I747, is also very close, but not quite, identical to the T999. Close enough though that some have flashed kernels and Roms developed for the I747 without issue. For most people, I do not recommend trying this! Only use a properly ported version.

Flashing Roms made for other models, particularly the International models, is NOT recommended! The I9300 and I9305 model Roms will almost certainly Brick your T999!!!

In general, I make one very strong suggestion....Only Flash What You Find In THIS Forum!!!!!
I hope that helps guys!

lmarranzino

Apr 4, 2011
Orange County, CA
Samsung Galaxy S23
Great Thread and thanks for the info... I cannot agree more in being careful as S3 does not seem as the say "created equal"...Really enjoying this phone have to say got it through a friend who had an upgrade. I had ordered the Nexus and was waiting it came in had signal and buzzing issues so it has gone back. Gonna stick with the S3 as I am truly liking it.

PS. I also would recommend Mobile Tech great guy and has helped me out a couple times with an crappy LG Nitro, which I didn't take a loss on thanks to them. I will be ordering a couple of jtags myself from them soon.:good:

mwbro

Dec 29, 2009
Dirty South
Good thread i'm on my 3rd SIII i bricked the other two and sent them back to tmobile (strangely they didnt charge me) but i know now research research research on using correct rom. I've installed tons of roms on other phones but assumed SIII would be no problem, I learned the hard way. These suckers brick easily, that's an expensive problem!!

jdidtht

Sep 23, 2012
minneapolis
Good thread i'm on my 3rd SIII i bricked the other two and sent them back to tmobile (strangely they didnt charge me) but i know now research research research on using correct rom. I've installed tons of roms on other phones but assumed SIII would be no problem, I learned the hard way. These suckers brick easily, that's an expensive problem!!

No they don't actually brick easy. Its all user error. And if you've bricked two already you need to slow down and read man. Bricking one is hard enough but two? JeeZ

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

OsmanMusa

Jul 4, 2012
OP said wind roms and tmobile roms are interchangeable just don't flash the modems but its ok to flash roms well guess what, if i were you I WOULD NOT even flash interchangeable roms until I'm certain that the OP of a rom thread clearly states they are compatible, for example in the case of the Illusion rom that worked for both Tmobile and ATT and OP said rom is both compatible with either tmobile or att.

When people make custom roms they can add their own custom modem so unless you know for sure that the rom they cooked up doesn't have an incompatible modem then don't flash it.

Remember always becareful and double check. If you root and brick yourself, ODIN RETURN TO STOCK then.

ace2153

Jan 5, 2012
So if I have a T-Mobile galaxy s 3 i'm in the right place correct?

kadster007

Jan 30, 2009
New York
Crapped Out...

Unfortunately, I just crapped my S3. I have a Nexus 7 and was working on both of them and accidentally flashed the N7 kernel on the S3.

Now I can't even turn on my phone. Won't start, won't boot----nothing.

S3 Brick, right?

jdidtht

Sep 23, 2012
minneapolis
Can u 3button boot into recovery? If you can you are fine.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Unfortunately, I just crapped my S3. I have a Nexus 7 and was working on both of them and accidentally flashed the N7 kernel on the S3.

Now I can't even turn on my phone. Won't start, won't boot----nothing.

S3 Brick, right?

Can you 3button boot into recovery?
If you can you will be fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of right now, the roms for your S3 are not meant to be used on other S3 variants. Bricks might happens or a soft one might happen. Before flashing a Rom make sure you are in the right development section an you read the entire op, twice. Until other devs or experienced users find a way to make them cross compatible, please refrain from using other carriers S3 roms.

Also wind mobile an Tmobile are interchangeable, just don't flash the modems.

ONLY FLASH THE ROMS IN THIS FORUM!

This forum is PRIMARILY for the T999. But it is practically identical to the Canadian T999V model which is used by Mobilicity, Videotron and Wind. Other carriers use both of these models, but these are the main ones.
    The biggest, and from what I can tell, the only difference is in the firmware. The partition layout is the same, but the data stored on those partitions is different (to what extent it is different, or whether it is different on every partition, I cannot say).

T999V users are able to safely use Roms built for the T999, including the kernels. The only thing that is incompatible is the modem. It will flash successfully (aka, wont brick) but it simply will not work on the other networks.
    As far as I can tell, CWM and TWRP recoveries are built only for the T999, but can be used on the T999V. This can cause issues though when trying to install in certain ways, and can potentially also cause problems if trying to install something that does a check to confirm the device model. I do not think this will cause any harm though, it will just fail out.

Also, I should go ahead and note that the AT&T model, SGH-I747, is also very close, but not quite, identical to the T999. Close enough though that some have flashed kernels and Roms developed for the I747 without issue. For most people, I do not recommend trying this! Only use a properly ported version.

Flashing Roms made for other models, particularly the International models, is NOT recommended! The I9300 and I9305 model Roms will almost certainly Brick your T999!!!

In general, I make one very strong suggestion....Only Flash What You Find In THIS Forum!!!!!
    I hope that helps guys!

I second this, guys PLEASE don't risk it. It is not worth it. Right now I think most devs are working on their own ROMs, but we should have a patch soon to allow cross-compatibility.
    Can any one tell me then in wich specific type of S III forum i would have to be for rooting etc,.

i just got my new phone the T-Mobile Titanium grey S III

Model GT-I9300
    Android 4.0.4
    Baseband I9300BOLH2
    Kernel 3.0.15-928452
    Build IMM76D.I9300XXBLH3

The T-Mobile development section
    I am working on this so that all roms will work on all carriers
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1735482